The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 29, 2002, 08:06 PM   #1
Sarge55

Kahr MK9 Wooden Grips??

Was all excited about ordering a pair of wooden grips for my Kahr MK9 off the Kahr website, but just got my bubble burst...

Does anyone know why the wooden grips won't fit the "GAxxxx" series MK9's? Was there a redesign of the frame? Can the grips offered on the website be altered to fit the "GAxxxx" series guns?

Thanks!

Sarge55
Old July 29, 2002, 08:54 PM   #2
pocketman

Good question. E-mail or call kahr and see what they say.

I have to get my mk out of the safe and will check out the serial # mine is also an early one (made 1/97) and I think its gaoxxx but not sure and the wood grips fit perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelmk9.jpg (8.9 KB, 127 views)
Old July 30, 2002, 03:40 PM   #3
Sarge55

Spoke to someone from customer service today. She stated that the frame is slightly thicker on either the GA series or newer model frames (she didn't know which was which). Of course, she recommended I purchase a pair to check the fit, and if I didn't think the grips could be made workable, I could return them.

Well.... I really don't know much more now than I knew before I made the call.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:55 PM   #4
pocketman

Great..:barf:

I usually ask for the service dept.

My serial # is ga18xx, is yours a gaoxxx? that would make it one of the first 1000 made in the first year of 1996.

I would get an answer on what the difference is rather that order and wait 4-6weeks for them only to find out they don't fit. I did have one of the first mk's back in 1996 it was gao500 and the one I have now does not appear any different in any way from my first but for kahr to specify the only after thing, something must be up.

Let us know how you make out.
Old July 30, 2002, 08:17 PM   #5
Sarge55

Mine is GA2XXX. I think I'll take your advice and ask to speak to someone from Service.
Old July 30, 2002, 08:19 PM   #6
riddleofsteel

I have a set of wooden grips for my MK40. However, during the hot months of the Carolina summer I use the original nylon ones. I often carry were my body sweat would saturate the wooden grips changing thier color on one panel.
Old July 31, 2002, 06:10 PM   #7
pocketman

Hey Sarge..I thought when I ordered my wood grips it said they would not fit gaoxxx meaning the first 1000 made, but it does say gaxxxx as you said.

My serial # is ga18xx and the grips fit perfect and yours is a few hundred units newer so you have to assume thay would fit yours the same.