The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 13, 1999, 03:29 PM   #1
Joey

Now that I've finally got a 308 PSS it's time to break in the barrel. What is the best way to break in the barrel for the greatest accuricy?

I've read all kinds of ways from nothing special just shoot the rifle and then clean normally to shoot one round clean and repeate this for 40 rounds then fire three rounds and clean repeting this for another 60 rounds.

What way should I go???
Old September 14, 1999, 04:44 PM   #2
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

For what it is worth I will tell you a story about a conversation I had with another barrel maker a few years ago. This fellow was putting break in instructions in with each new barrel and I asked him what his thoughts were on the subject because I knew at the time it was a lot of BS. He said " Mac I make about 700 barrels a year because that's about my share of the market. A match barrel looses its accuracy in some thing over 3000 rounds. If the shooter shoots an extra 100 rounds breaking it in Just figure how many more rifle barrels I will make a year. If you stop and think that a barrel doesn't know whether one or five has gone through it before cleaning When I send out a match grade barrel I tell the shooter to clean it as often as possible . That means if you're a B/R competitor clean it between matches which will be 7 or 8 rounds If you are just at the range clean it every 5 round group. If you are a high power shooter that means 20 some rounds so clean it when you come off the line. The best round through a barrel is the first round and it is a down hill process from there on So if you follow the fad that's going around you are shorting the life of your barrel at least one match! Now I know I am going to be flamed by the monkey see monkey do crowd so while you are at it tell me just how you think you are improving the barrel with your routine.
Old September 14, 1999, 06:28 PM   #3
HankL

Mac, No flames from me. I just clean a new barrel before going out the first time. After shooting or just going afield I clean accordingly. I have seen barrels that got better with shooting before they started going down hill though. As well, I have seen a friend shoot more rounds in a weekend of constant cleaning, shooting and more cleaning than he has put through the rifle since! He did this shortly after one of those barrel break in storys appeared in one of the gun rags.
Joey, to me you can do what you feel is right and you shouldn't go wrong. I will be shooting a new 700 PSS this weekend and may clean the barrel a time or two while sighting in. After that, I assure you that I will enjoy myself!

Best to all,
Hank
Old September 14, 1999, 08:11 PM   #4
Joey

Gale,

I was reading this http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Breakin.htm plus was told by a couple of gunsmiths the rifle needed to be "broken in" to smooth out the barrel and action along with making cleaning easyer in the future. Was looking for some solid info instead of rumor's and old wive's tales.

Went out today and spent several hours at the range playing with the PSS. Cleaned it real good with JB paste prior to heading out. Then after getting the Leupold 3.5-10X50mm Tactical scope more or less zeroed at 100 yards using S&B 308 ammo (9 rounds) cleaned using Shoters Choice and Rem oil. Shot 4 3rd groups dialing in the Fed 168gr BTHP match ammo with the scope and then cleaned again. Went for broke and shot a 3 round group that you could cover with a quarter. Finished out the last 5 rounds of Federal match killing eggs

Cleaned the rifle again and then shot up another 91 rounds of the S&B 308 ammo (cleaned the rifle after every 15 rounds) The S&B was grouping right around 1" but about 1/5 inches left of where the Fed was shooting.

All in all I'm extremly impressed with the PSS, this rifle sure can shoot better than I can!! Now to zero the rifle at 200 yards It seemed the longer I went without cleaning the rifle the worse I was shooting, don't know if this was me or the rifle but letting her cool down and taking a break while cleaning did improve my accuricy somewhat. After I finished up cleaning the rifle for the last time I tried some Sweets 7.62 and suprise suprise did the patches come out green and blue. Let the 7.62 soak for a while and then used the Shooters Choice and Rem oil till the patches came out clean again.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited September 15, 1999).]
Old June 12, 2001, 10:00 PM   #5
Joey

Talk about comming back from the dead!!!!