The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 23, 2000, 08:07 PM   #1
Michael64

Have read in various post of rifles for sale referring to the proper breakin of the barrel on a bolt action. What exactly is the proper barrel breakin and is it different for actions/calibers? Have a .270 Rem sendero if it matters.
Old January 23, 2000, 08:23 PM   #2
swifter...

Michael64,
There's a lot of opinions out there on this, so here's mine: Factory rifles(barrels) will require a LOT more effort than a custom barrel. 1) clean the rifle thoroughly, stripping the bore to bare metal. It is still dirty if brand new, BTW...
2) Give the bore a polish with JB Compound or similar. Flitz is a good choice. Use a bore mop and a good bore guide with a good cleaning rod to avoid damage.
3) Clear the bore of whatever you used with a good solvent and lots of patches, then dry.
4) Go to the range with your cleaning equipment and a good supply of ammo. If you handload, light-to-moderate work best.
5)Shoot one round, clean. Repeat 10 times.
6)Shoot 3 rounds, clean. repeat 10 times or as long as copper fouling shows.
This is a lot of trouble. Done carefully, it will have very good results.
Resolve to get a really good barrel that will break in in 10 rounds...

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old January 23, 2000, 09:57 PM   #3
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Michael,

The concept of barrel break in is almost the same as a new engine. In essence what you are trying to do is smooth out the microscopic inperfections that are left in the bore after cutting by running a bullet through them.

You want your barrel clean so that when the bullet is fired it will be metal against metal with no "fouling" btwn the two. This is suppose to "Lap" the barrel and make for better accuracy and easier cleaning.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Old January 23, 2000, 10:28 PM   #4
pbash

Here's what Jack Krieger suggests for his match barrels: http://www.jarheadtop.com/Kriger%20Barrels.htm .

I've used the method described at http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ashot.htm#Break to break-in two hunting rifles. It worked great for me and it's a lot faster than the shoot-and-clean method. Both bores were subsequently moly treated and the bullets I use are all moly coated. Both rifles shoot MOA or less. One, a 30-06 Tikka, shoots 1/2" 3 shot 100yd groups). The other, a Winchester Model 70 in 7-08mm, required two sessions with the JB, but now shoots MOA at 100yd. Neither of them show noticeable copper fouling after a typical range session.
Old January 24, 2000, 08:57 AM   #5
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

Do your rifle a favor and clean it well after every group and forget all the break in BS
Old January 25, 2000, 01:50 PM   #6
alan

As has been mentioned, there are at least several "theories".

From what I recall of National Match Course shooting, I used to clean between 200 and 300 yard stages, when I could, and always before 600 yards. When shooting 1000 yards, always cleaned between strings.

As for "breakin" with a new rifle, or new barrel, carefully clean the bore, to get rid of any factory grease or preservative. During load development, shooting ten shot strings, I would clean when changing from one load to another. While I might have missed something somewhere, this seemed to work, at least so far as I could tell. Perhaps other ways, that have been detailed in posts and articles, are on to something. I can't really say, one way or the other.

Personally, I would pay considerable attention to any suggestions The Gunny might have to offer, though it is possible that his thinking might have been conditioned as a result of his experience with "the service rifle". Still, he might well have had a lot more exerience with rifles than most of us.

Alan
Old January 25, 2000, 02:42 PM   #7
mcshot

Gale, My practice comes closest to your advice, therefore it is the best.
Thank you

------------------
Old January 25, 2000, 03:52 PM   #8
tuc22

Check out the February 2000 issue of NRA American Rifleman. There's an article that may be helpful on break-in,restoration, and lapping.
Old January 25, 2000, 05:19 PM   #9
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

I just read the Feb edition of rifleman. No wonder it has shrunk to a few pages when they print such garbage as the barrel break in. It's lucky it doesn't have much following now. As a life member and a barrel maker of long standing be assured I will call them on this BS!!! I can say that there are enough barrels ruined by ignorance without encouraging the masses to commit mechanical suicide with such BS
Old January 25, 2000, 05:27 PM   #10
DorGunR

As for me....I'll be taking the advise of Mr. McMillan!!!
Old January 26, 2000, 05:44 AM   #11
tuc22

After my first cursory reading of the article I went back and read it again, seems like it is rather extreme. I can see where alot of guys will start grinding on their barrels after this. Mr. McMillan, enlighten us with some sage advice. Please.
Old January 26, 2000, 10:29 AM   #12
alan

Michael64:

Re your original question, breakin of a rifle, get hold of the February 1, 2000 issue of The New Gun Week, otherwise known as simply Gun Week.

Pretty comprehensive looking article on page 6, named issue. Also, as I recall, similar articles have appeared in amnerican Rifleman and Rifle-Handloader magazines.
Old January 26, 2000, 11:36 AM   #13
Desert Dog

I have to side with Mr. McMillan on this one.

Just go shoot the darn thing!!! That is what it is made for.

------------------
"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Old January 26, 2000, 11:21 PM   #14
spleenandideal

I too, side with Mr. McMillan regarding this matter. After years of believing the break-in hype, I decided to stop the madness when I purchased a new Rem700VS. I just shot the hell out of it, and cleaned it afterwards. After at least 1000 rounds, it still shoots 1MOA groups with select ammo.

I have serious benchrest friends who argue over and over with me--the same folks who treat their sport as religion and have the trophies to prove it. But I'm not in it for the retentive "ceremony"...because to me that's no fun. I'd suggest you go out with a clean barrel and shoot till you run outta ammo.
Old January 26, 2000, 11:59 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

I also agree with Gale McMillan. I have been using his method for many decades. Not because I knew what I was doing, but because I was lazy! My barrels would shoot sub-MOA at the beginning and they still do over 30 years later. I must confess, I sometimes use a Foul-Out to get the copper out when accuracy starts dropping off. This tightens up the groups every time. But, that doesn't have anything to do with break-in.
Old January 27, 2000, 08:57 AM   #16
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

I will make one last post on this subject and appeal to logic on this subject I think it is the height of arrogance to believe a novice can improve a barrel using a cleaning rod more than that a barrel maker can do with 30 years of experience and a ΒΌ million dollars in equipment . The barrel is a relatively precise bit of machining and to imagine that it can be improved on with a bit of abrasive smeared on a patch or embedded in a bullet. The surface finish of a barrel is a delicate thing with more of them being ruined with a cleaning rod in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use one. I would never in a million years buy a used rifle now because you well may buy one that has been improved. First give a little thought to what you think you are accomplishing with any of the break in methods. Do you really believe that if what you are doing would help a barrel that the barrel maker wouldn't have already done it. The best marketing advantage he can have is for his barrels to out perform his competitors! Of coarse he is happy to see you poking things in your barrel . Its only going to improve his sales. Get real!!!! I am not saying the following to brag because the record speak for it' self McMillan barrels won the gold at 4 straight Olympics. Won the Leach Cup eight years running. Had more barrels in the Wimbledon shoot off every year for 4 straight yearsthan any other make. Set the national 1000 yard record 17 times in one year. Held 7 world records at the same time in the NBRSA . Won the national silhouette matches 5 straight times and set 3 world records while doing that . Shot the only two 6400 scores in the history of small bore and holds a 100 yard world record that will stand for ever at .009 of one inch. All with barrels the shooter didn't have to improve on by breaking them in.
Old January 27, 2000, 07:23 PM   #17
Mal H
Staff

This is off-topic but related to the barrel break in article in AR. Does anyone else see anything wrong with the gentleman's bench rest technique? I quickly spotted 4 things at first glance.