The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2002, 06:20 PM   #1
FPrice

Manurhin PPK/S Opinions

Does anyone here have a Manurhin copy of the Walther PPK/S? My dealer has a used one on sale for $295. It has a pretty good trigger feel, especially in SA. Walthers in this area are pretty high, way out of my price range, usually $600 and up from the few I have seen.

Thanks.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old December 22, 2002, 07:07 PM   #2
tbeb

No, but I have a .32 Manurhin PP and it is a fine pistol. It is reliable with FMJ's and Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints. (These pistols were manufactured to function with round nose jacketed ammunition so don't expect it to be reliable with hollowpoints.) I think mine is early production, 1950-1954, because the Manurchin trademark is on the slide and grips.

A year ago at a sporting goods store I paid $225. Came with owner's manual (1 English, 1 German), cleaning rod, spare magazine, and box. .380's seem to be more popular these days so will cost a little more. I feel a good price is one you're happy with.
Old December 22, 2002, 07:38 PM   #3
maxwayne

After WWII all Walther pistols were made in France and then shipped to Germany for assembly. Sounds like a bargain to me. I have a pre-war PP in 22 and a 380 ppk/s.
Old December 22, 2002, 08:40 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

That price is great.
One of gunmakings dirty little secrets, is that those "Wonderful quality German made Walther PP pistols", were made by Manurhin
in France.
In Europe, it's a common business practice to ship products to other countries and mark them as from that country. There, where a gun is actually proofed, is considered the country of manufacture. Manurhin made the guns, they were shipped a few miles over the border to the Walther plant at Ulm, proof fired, had grips mounted, and boxed. Instant "German manufacturing quality"

The Walther and Manurhin marked guns were made on the same production lines by the same people. the only difference is, the Manurhin guns owner's manual had the Walther logo's airbrushed off the pictures and a Manurhin's airbrushed in. my two guns had the exact same manual as the Walther marked guns, and came in the exact same plastic box, with a Manurhin label on the end.

In other words, you're getting a Walther PPK/s with a different mark on the slide, at a great price.
Old December 23, 2002, 12:34 PM   #5
WIL TERRY

AS NOTED HERE ALREADY, ALL WALTHERS MADE AFTER WWII

WERE MANUFACTURED BY MANURHIN IN FRANCE UNTIL INTERARMS MOVED THEIR MANUFACTURE OVER HERE IN THE '80'S...[ I THINK IT WAS THE 80'S ]
These are damn fine pistols though. One of my PP7.65MM pistols has all WALTHER markings down one side of the pistol and all MANURHIN markings on the other side. It came in a WALTHER box.
It shoots beautifully with numerous loads...all but CORBON'S...
Old December 23, 2002, 05:24 PM   #6
Nomadz

As already stated the 'Euros' are all French post WW2
my PPK/s Euro is a superb piece never failed and is carried
alot in the summer.

check out SOG they have "German" Walthers for
$279

SOG LINK