The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 19, 2004, 08:56 PM   #1
JackDRipper

How about the Beretta Storm?

I've had my 9mm Beretta Storm since November and I'm really happy with it, accurate and fun to shoot. Put a Hakko red dot on it when I got the top rail and it really works great.
Seems like owners really like the Storm and many non owners really hate it!
How about you?
JR
Old May 19, 2004, 09:02 PM   #2
Chad Young

I tested the CX4 and two other 9mm carbines for my web site:

http://www.aboutguns.net/reviews/trescaballeros.html

In short, really liked the CX4 and PC9. The CX4 has the way cool factor and ease of disassembly going for it.

In another test, we chrony'ed some popular defense loads through the same guns:

http://www.aboutguns.net/reviews/9mmtests.html

We had some rounds go ot of the CX4 at over 1600 fps!
Old May 19, 2004, 11:35 PM   #3
JackDRipper

Chad, nice reviews and great web site!
Keep up the good work!
JR
Old May 20, 2004, 12:19 AM   #4
Jamie Young

I'd pick one up if it were under $400.
Old May 20, 2004, 08:40 AM   #5
MLH

Love mine

It's fuuunnnn!!! I put a red dot and a laser on mine and it's great for hunting critters. With the laser you can shot front the hip without moving too much and spooking them. Got three muskrats so far using this method. I love this gun and easy to clean too.!

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class, save congress." Mark Twain
Old May 20, 2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Looks like a good piece, for what it is.

Personally, I think those who bought it appreciate it because it's what they expected, and those who deride it want something else (usually because of caliber).

John

Wandering Thoughts
Old May 20, 2004, 10:09 AM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

If I was a left-handed Beretta owner, I'd've bought the first one I saw, price no object.

While I personally have no need for one, they're well-executed, handy little carbines.

Now, if the ban sunsets and I can get one in .45 ACP with a magazine holding, say, 15 rounds or so...
Old May 20, 2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

We've got one in our Rental Case and everyone that has rented it comes off the range with a big grin (and over half end up buying one).

Of course this isn't a "stock" Storm as our Gunsmith did a Trigger Job on it. He can actually improve the trigger and is in the process of getting Wolff to make him some springs so he can improve it even more. <G>

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old May 20, 2004, 01:54 PM   #9
VictorLouis

What's the deal with the post on THR regarding it having a "plastic" hammer?
Is that true? Is it re-inforced with an internal piece of steel? Does it matter?
Old May 20, 2004, 02:09 PM   #10
Chad Young

Well, believe it or not, the hammer is in fact made of plastic! The design is such, however, that the hammer only contacts metal at two points: the axis pin of the hammer and the bolt face/firing pin unit.

I have heard no reports of hammer breakage or other problems. The design is such that the parts of the hammer that would normally contact metal in other guns instead bears only on other plastic frames.

When you pull the trigger, the hammer axis moves forward slightly which releases the hammer from a plastic shelf in the frame of the gun. Thus no metal sear or disconnector contacts the plastic hammer. The particular polymer used must be very hard to handle the job, but it does handle it with 100% reliability.

I would like to see how these guns are doing a few years down the line just to be sure the hammer is holding up.

Considering Beretta's raputation, I suspect there will not be a problem.
Old May 20, 2004, 02:28 PM   #11
Onslaught

First, let me get this out of the way...

WOOOHOOOOO! I posted on the Firing Line!!!

Okay, I'm done...

I have a Beretta Storm with a $28 Tasco RedDot on it. I absolutely LOVE it (except for the trigger of course). My 12 year old son has dubbed this one HIS rifle, and has completely forgotten about the 20" Armalite I kept solely because he liked it.

It's fun, it's SUPER light weight, extremely short, lot's of fun, it has ZERO recoil, I can buy ammo for $12 per 100 rounds, and it's FUN.

Since these discussions began on THR, there have been 2 or 3 that just insult the rifle and everyone who owns one... hopefully nobody told them TFL was back up As far as the plastic hammer goes, NOBODY who actually owns one ever complains about the plastic hammer. It's those who are picking nits that mention it. The Beretta Storm is the Glock of pistol caliber carbines....

Bottom line, it's more fun than a .22 rifle, it's more firepower than a 9mm pistol, and it's not as good of a choice as an AR15 if you "need" a weapon.

Did I mention yet that it's fun?
Old May 20, 2004, 04:56 PM   #12
Jamie Young

Onslaught

Its time to change our signature.
Old May 20, 2004, 09:34 PM   #13
farmboy

I owned one briefly, but a fella wanted to trade an AR for it, so I let 'er go.
I will say that I loved that little carbine for around the acreage. It was extremly light, accurate to the point of being monotonous, powerful enough to do the duty out to 75 yards or so. The random offhand shot without "ears" also wouldn't leave you with blown out eardrums. I can't say that about the AR.

I will own another.........
Old May 20, 2004, 10:04 PM   #14
Onslaught

Quote:
Onslaught

Its time to change our signature.
Huh? Oh yeah...

How's that?
Old May 20, 2004, 11:34 PM   #15
JackDRipper

Changed mine for the first time from right hand ejection to left hand ejection when my son and I shot the other day and was surprised how easy it was to do. Handy for lefties like my son.
JR

Last edited by JackDRipper; May 20, 2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old May 27, 2004, 08:37 AM   #16
PAOLO721

I love my Storm. I have the 9mm version and I also have the .45ACP version on order. I have put a Nikon Monarch red dot scope on it it. This carbine is very accurate and to date with about 3000 round through it, I have not had a single hicup with it.

Here is a couple of pics of mine.

Old June 27, 2004, 10:43 PM   #17
BizJetPlt

Beretta CX4 Storm - Lovin' It!

I recently purchased a CX4 Storm and couldn't be happier! What a great gun for tactical, close quarters work, and all around fun. I've added the Hakko Panorama red dot site, Harris Bi-Pod, and custom sling. At first I was a little uneasy about drilling holes to mount the top rail, but the instructions were clear and everything was perfectly aligned.

I've got two AR15 friends that have a new CX4 on order to replace their .223 money eating machines.

Buy it! You'll love it!

BizJetPlt
Old June 28, 2004, 01:04 AM   #18
Rich Lucibella
Staff

It's the August '04 S.W.A.T. Cover story:
http://swatmag.com/archive_2004/jun04_cover.htm

Rich
Old June 28, 2004, 08:14 AM   #19
Jamie Young

Rich, that looks like Spinal Taps "smell the glove" album cover?

All I see is black ?
Old June 28, 2004, 08:39 AM   #20
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Interesting, Jamie. What's your browser and version?
Rich
Old June 28, 2004, 04:42 PM   #21
gifted

I saw one of these in a store and fell in love. It looks cool, and should work well I think if I get into three gun comp. I haven't been able to buy one yet, I have other things that require money first, but it's first on the list. I plan to get the 9mm version.
Old June 28, 2004, 06:03 PM   #22
Jamie Young

IE.40. browser I believe........
Old June 29, 2004, 07:02 PM   #23
PAOLO721

Here is another pic of my Storm
Old June 29, 2004, 10:54 PM   #24
BusGunner007

PAOLO-
That is a great picture of your CX4.
Real nice.

edited to ask:
Does the safety work the same way as the 92-96/Cougar F series? UP for Fire; DOWN for de-cock/safe?
Old June 30, 2004, 12:45 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

I have a Storm with a little more than 4000 rounds through it. I primarily shoot it with preban 15 round magazines and except for function testing of some hollowpoing ammo, I shoot Blazer 115 gr. with aluminum cases. I shoot Blazer as I get it for $4 a box of 50. In all the rounds I have shot, I have had 7 stovepipes and one fail to lock back on empty, all with Blazer ammo. Usually, the stovepipes have happened with the gun had more than 300 rounds through it since the last cleaning and/or was running dry of lube.

I would not say the gun has ZERO recoil. It has more recoil than my AR15. The trigger is far from optimal, but has smoothed out quite a bit after 2000 round rounds or so. The play before the break is just part of the persona of the gun, but the trigger now breaks much more nicely than it did when new.

The gun is a little pricey for what it is. You can get a Hi Point 9mm carbine for less that $200 and I am not sure that dollar for dollar that the Hi Point isn't a better value. Yes, they seem like crappy little guns, but they seem to work very well and for plinking they are more than accurate enough for the job. In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the Storm over the Hi Point is the ability to have high capacity mags for the Storm.

The biggest shortcoming of the storm for me is that the rubber cheek rest pulls whiskers out of my face during recoil. When it is a cheek whisker, it is inconvenient. When it is a mustache whisker, it is downright painful!

I have my Storm outfitted with a full set of rails, a $8 John Mason vertical foregrip (http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=AA ), single loop sling on butt end only, TA31 ACOG, and ITI M3 weapon light. I have Pearce Grip extensions on my magazines to that the mags don't fit sub-flush with the base of the mag well, but instead extend down below the gun.