The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 8, 2004, 05:20 AM   #1
tyme
Staff

Trouble posting?

Anyone who, when posting, gets an incorrect message saying you need to include a title and at least 2 words in a message body, please PM me with the name of your OS and particularly the name and version of the browser you use. (the version number should be in the Help menu -- last menu on the right at the top of your browser... pick something that says "about mozilla" or "about IE" or "About opera").

This seems to occur with at least one person when the text of the post is copied and pasted from MS Word to IE 5.22 in MacOS. Anyone with a similar setup please try posting to the test forum.

Thanks.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 8, 2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Jamie Young

I've had trouble on some forums.

Check your PM.
Old August 8, 2004, 10:03 PM   #3
Fred Hansen

Can't post. Keep getting the same error message as everyone else.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old August 8, 2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Fred Hansen

Somehow I'm able to post here though???
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old August 8, 2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Fred Hansen

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800

Win XP OS

Michael Moore
Old August 8, 2004, 10:12 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

I just tried to post the text that wouldn't post in the Tactics forum. Got the error message again. That particular piece of text was rather lengthy, and yet I got the "message is too short" error. I'm not sure what is wrong.

Michael Moore
Old August 8, 2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Fred Hansen

I just tried to PM my response to Flinchy's question in the Tactics forum. That won't work either. Same error message.

Michael Moore
Old August 8, 2004, 11:02 PM   #8
Fred Hansen

Tried the Test Forum as you suggested. Didn't work there either. Same error message. Maybe the post was too long???

Michael Moore
Old August 8, 2004, 11:27 PM   #9
ENC

I had trouble editing a post last night and got a similar message. There was no trouble posting the actal message. I have been using the computer at work the info is IE version 6.0.2800.1106

Thanks
Old August 9, 2004, 08:03 AM   #10
tyme
Staff

Okay, so far we have:
MacOS, IE 5.22
WinXP, IE6
WinXP, Firefox 0.9
WinXP, IE6
Win98, IE6
MacOSX, Netscape 7.1
?, IE 4.0 (can't post to _some_ forums)

Some people's posts are rejected only when they copy and paste their post from word; others even if they type a post in the browser.

Hmm...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 9, 2004, 08:14 AM   #11
tyme
Staff

How about now? Is it fixed for anyone?
Old August 9, 2004, 09:50 AM   #12
Jamie Young

Its fine this morning.

I have Win98 btw.
Old August 9, 2004, 10:31 AM   #13
Fred Hansen

It seems to be working now. I don't know how you do the voodoo tyme, but whatever it is, it seems like it's working!

What was wrong?

Thanks! Fred

Michael Moore
Old August 9, 2004, 11:22 AM   #14
tyme
Staff

It was the hardenedphp patches, new since the reinstall.