The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2004, 11:33 PM   #1
tory

considering a russian mak, help me out please

hey all, i need some info on russian maks, i can get my hands on one in wonderful shape for $140* with a fair amount of ammo from a private seller. Good buy? Or not? All the help is appreciated.
Tory

Last edited by tory; December 10, 2004 at 01:56 AM. Reason: *he said $110 was okay, but now he said hes firm on the price :mad:
Old December 9, 2004, 11:36 PM   #2
alamo

$110 is a good price for any Mak in "wonderful" condition. Get it.

Mak info:

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html
Old December 9, 2004, 11:38 PM   #3
DarkKnight01

my lady owns a makarov 9x18mm she picked it up about 3 years ago for like 150$ with a few goodies.... 110$ is probably a practical price

its quite a nice weapon, i like it but there is a few things i dont like, first and foremost the sights are horrible, so tiny its hard to get them lined up, im sure there is upgraded sights available, like 3 dot night sight would be ideal and much faster to line up for your target
Old December 10, 2004, 01:54 AM   #4
9x19

Maks are excellent pistols, and $140 in today's market is a reasonable price.

I recently arranged to purchase 3 more maks as a package deal and was content to pay $125 each, with shipping they were each just under $140.

Of course, one of them is a Chinese model and they are not seen on the market at reasonable prices very often...

Your seller likely took a look at what Russian Maks are selling for on the 'net and realized he was short-changing himself... kinda rude to back out on a negotiated price, but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maks3.jpg (60.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by 9x19; December 10, 2004 at 05:11 AM.
Old December 10, 2004, 02:56 AM   #5
Glockoma

My dad has two of the things, and I dislike them a lot -- heavy, uncomfortable, unpopular cart (yeah, there are .380 barrels available), unpleasant recoil feel, low capacity.

Yeah, they're cheap and can be used for home repair to drive nails, but would I want to use one when it counted? Probably not, if given a choice. Would I want one as a .380 trainer? Possibly, but I tend to feel this is one of those cases where it's worth to spend a bit more and get something better.
Old December 10, 2004, 06:32 AM   #6
Pharley

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Makarov, buy one now.

When I bought mine, it was more of a novelty, or collectors thing, that I could shoot it every once in awhile. That was until I shot it regularly.

My Mak now takes the place of my G27 for off duty weapon. I carry it as a second back up on duty as well. You will be hard pressed to find a better gun for the price, one that goes bang every time, and shoots tight groups. The sights do take some practice, but from 30' and in is instinctive point shooting anyways.

The Mak is not a Sig, and no one claims it to be. Love it for what it is. Get a Mak....get a few, you will be pleased. Most of the "Mak haters" have never shot one enough to know the beauty.
"Out of every ONE HUNDRED men, TEN should not be here, EIGHTY are nothing but targets, NINE are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR, and he will bring the others back."
Old December 10, 2004, 08:24 AM   #7
wingman

If russian commerical(target sights) $150-$225) if military model(small sights)
$200-$300) Either way a good quality gun for the price. All I have seen are
very accurate, tough, fun to shoot.