The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Spur0701

870 Slug Gun - Pinning a Hastings Barrel

I'm making an dedicated slug gun for next deer season. I got an 870 from the bargin rack at a local shop, refinished it with Brownells baking laquer, put a new Choat stock on it, installed a Hastings rifled barrel (on sale from SportmansGuide for $143, damn should have bought two at that price) with an extended scope mount and threw a Leupold VX-II on there.

A friend is telling me that I should drill and tap the receiver and barrel and pin it in place tight to increase accuracy........he was citing Tarhunt and how they reworked 870s..............which would be fairly simple for me to do.............thoughts?

My goal is is to eek out as many yards as I can out of this gun.....I have a soyabean field I hunt where I could take shots at 100-200 yards if the weapon is capable.....alas no rifles other than muzzel loaders in my part of Maryland during deer season .....:-(
Old February 11, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Romulus

I wouldn't...with the Hastings you should get excellent accuracy without altering the weapon. It's still a shotgun, not a rifle. Just my two cents

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old February 13, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3
calvin62

try reading

[shotgunning for deer by dave henderson] he's a writer for for buckmaster magazine. there is alot in the book about getting the most from shotgun's including pinning the barrel, he say's "any gun will benefit, some more then others depending on how tight the barrel sleave fits the reciever"

He has taken caribou at 162 yards , pronghorn at 117 and 191 yards using sabots. most people wont believe these numbers but he has taken the time to fine tune his gun and is not shooting a straight off the rack gun.

I'm not saying anyone can shoot 191 yards with a slug gun but I'm also stuck in a shotgun only area and got very frustrated at the deer circling me at distances i'm not comfortable shooting. so I put on a hasting cantilever barrel and scope, monte carlo stock with a sims recoil pad. and before this year's hunt will have the trigger reworked and the barrel pinned.

as for [it's still a shotgun not a rifle] that doesnt mean I want to settle for something that could be improved on. Ive recieved a little ribbing on reworking my gun for accuracy but last year my 12 pt was the biggest deer in my hunting party and the biggest taken in 20 years in the area I hunt.

So if Dave henderson says pinng the barrel will help I'm going to do it
if he says lightening the trigger will help I will do that to, after reading his book I wont settle for a gun I know can be better .

just remember all the improvement mean nothing if you dont try out the different ammos and practice, practice, practice.

So read the book and good luck
Old February 13, 2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Romulus

Quote:
last year my 12 pt was the biggest deer in my hunting party and the biggest taken in 20 years in the area I hunt.
Was that with a pinned barrel? Nice going

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old November 23, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Larrydoug

I recently drilled, tapped, and installed a scope on a Mossberg 500, with a Mossberg fully rifled barrel. The barrel doesn't fit the receiver very tight, and the shots go all over. Does anyone know where I can find a video showing how to pin the barrel?
Old November 23, 2013, 11:16 AM   #6
g.willikers

The barrel can also be tightened to the receiver by using a shim.
A trimmed down piece of aluminum can works pretty good.
Old November 23, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Virginian

Pinning is most effective where the scope or sights is not attached to the barrel, because that way you keep the receiver and barrel aligned. With a cantilevered barrel I fail to see where it would help a thing. That's one of the main reasons why they introduced cantilevered barrels.
Old November 25, 2013, 07:44 PM   #8
jackpine

I like to add a tensioner screw rather than pin the bbl. D&T the reciever and add an allen screw so that it places pressure on the barrel hood/extention and lock tite in palce when you find the right amount of pressure