The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 22, 2005, 09:57 PM   #1
jeff1259

I am considering Carrying a gun-No CCW

Alright , let me start by saying, I KNOW IT IS ILLEGAL. Here is what I am wondering/ especially if there are law enfrocement reading this post. Is it a fellony to carry a concealed gun, loaded- but not chambered. I was told it was a mistermenor ( Sorry if I spelled it wrong). Please advise. My lovely city will not issue CCWs without a court order. I have been robbed twice, watched my friend get shot and killed. I have 3 children and do not want them to grow up without a father. I have tried to get a CCW, advised by the police departement that they just dont issue them. I was told to get pepper spray. That will do a lot of good against a gun or knife. Please advise me of the laws and penitilies if you know them in California. I am willing to take the risk to protect myself for my families sake. Also, if you were going to purchase a nice carry weapon, what would it be-for ease and convience, but still dependable and nice..... Thanks a lot.... Jeff ----oh ya, i am also a sworn full time firefighter with a perfect background.
Old February 22, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2
WaltherP99

If you have been robbed I would see noe reason why the courts wouldn
t grant you one! it's worth a try.

You can always relocate to a 2nd Amendment friendly state!!!!!
Old February 22, 2005, 10:06 PM   #3
n3twrkm4n

Carry a Ninja Sword ... that will definately make someone think twice... I don't see how those are illegal, or buy a Taser if you can.
Old February 22, 2005, 10:08 PM   #4
jeff1259

Ninja sword would rock, but be pretty hard to keep hidden...
Old February 22, 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
38splfan

I feel your pain.

Jeff,

I understand where you're coming from, and was in the same sitution when I was too young to get my CPL.
There was more than one occasion on which I risked jail time to protect my wife.
That being said, it is probably not a good idea. Having a gun WITH a permit in California is risky enough. Doing without will certainly get you fried.
I understand your desire to protect yourself and your family, I do it everyday. But if you use an illegally carried pistol to defend yourself, the prosecutors will ensure that you become the criminal.

I now you are tired of hearing it, but there are several decent alternatives to firearms.
OC sprays, tasers, and batons are all perfectly acceptable. Give them a chance before tossing them out entirely. Ask around you with your local LE guys about what options you have.
Speaking from experience with several, OC sprays are generally effective, can be carried and deployed in the same manner as a firearm, and can be had in a variety of strengths and formulas to fit the restrictions in your area. Check out the FOX brand sprays.
Tasers may or may not be legal. If they are an option, look for the ones without the darts/wires. While they generally deliver more voltage, they can be pulled away from you. Also, if you leave the engagement, you lose your weapon.
No matter what type of defensive articles you carry, retention is uber-important.

Don't think that I am telling you what to do or not to do, that is up to you. I just don't want to see your family lose you to a cell (or death row).

Do what you have to, freind. Just be safe doing it.
Old February 22, 2005, 10:27 PM   #6
2002gti

how about ninja dust in the face? - im in california and carry occasionally without permit, its the chance im willing to take. what are the chances of you being made?
Old February 22, 2005, 10:36 PM   #7
BreacherUp!

I am forced to say that it is a bad idea. You can go by the "judged by 12 is better than carried by 6" rule. But have no doubt, you will go to jail if you use it, or are found with it. 12025 of the CA Penal Code (Carry Concealed Firearm W/O License) : if you have a clean background (as you said) it would be a misdemeanor (unloaded or loaded).
Old February 22, 2005, 10:40 PM   #8
XavierBreath

My advice is to move to a more gun friendly state. I would be surprised if anyone here condoned you breaking the law.
Old February 22, 2005, 10:42 PM   #9
jeff1259

Thank you for the response regarding the non-lethal types of distractors. I am concedering these options also. Do you know if it is a felony to cary it concealed? Please advise. The pepper spray would have done me or my friend no good against the carjacker with a gun. I live in a CRAPPY area and will move as soon as I can afford to. I promise you that the crimanals most certainly carry their guns here- so why cant a guy like me? Dang its furstrating. Maybee I can find some of thoses Ninja balls that explode and make you dissapear..
Old February 22, 2005, 10:44 PM   #10
jeff1259

So , sounds like a trip to the poky for sure then. Just the judge would most probably reduce the charges. ?
Old February 22, 2005, 10:50 PM   #11
BreacherUp!

Quote:
So , sounds like a trip to the poky for sure then. Just the judge would most probably reduce the charges. ?
There is the "In the interest of justice" clause which gives some leway to the judge. However, you may look at a minimum of 3 months
Old February 22, 2005, 10:53 PM   #12
jeff1259

Thanks breacher-up. Dont want to do time for having it. I thought it may just be a ticket or something. I will look at the other options that 38spl listed above. Thanks for clearing it up for me... Jeff
Old February 22, 2005, 11:01 PM   #13
TBT

I would move.

If PA ever went Kalifornia on me I would pack my bags and find a new home.
Old February 22, 2005, 11:26 PM   #14
WaltherP99

Quote:
If PA ever went Kalifornia on me I would pack my bags and find a new home.
I agree with you there. PA is a little more forgiving with the carrying aspect!

Quote:
I promise you that the crimanals most certainly carry their guns here-
That's why they are criminals! And they get CAUGHT!!!
As one family man to another tho', do what you gotta do to protect yourself and your family. Not saying you should go haywire or anything. Just be SMART in YOUR final decision cause in the end that is all that matters!!!
Old February 22, 2005, 11:26 PM   #15
InToItTRX
Registration in progress

Move to Arizona, you can open carry if you want with no permit. CCW is easy to get. If you can't move away, I would not recommend carrying a gun, I am not aware of the laws in CA but I am sure what others have said is true.
Old February 22, 2005, 11:58 PM   #16
TBT

It’s a sad state of affairs when your local government goes out of it’s way to put your family at undue risk. Personally I don’t even agree with the permits. I think if you can pass the check to get the gun you should be able to carry it. Anything beyond a “shall issue” is moronic in my opinion and the shall issue is basically just a way to tax carry.
Old February 22, 2005, 11:59 PM   #17
tom650604

I thought this was a free country? Okay I know the government don't want people to be carrying weapons around but ain't the bad guys carrying guns illegally anyways or will find a way to get one. So, what about the good guys who bring the pay check home, spend time with the kids, make sure the wife and kids have a good home and cars. These guys need something more than just a taser or pepperspray to handle his business IMO.

If you can't help your family when it matters most then what's the point for having a family (The American Dream)?
Old February 23, 2005, 12:14 AM   #18
jeff1259

I know this is a little off the subject. Think of this- how nice people would be to one and other. If you knew everyone you were talking to owned and had a gun on them. The ganbgangers would only rob you if they really needed the money. Yes they may shoot you, but then the witness would unload on them as they tried to get away..... I have picked up many people shot. Makes you wonder how many could have been prevented if they all had guns also. Think of it this way, many countries now posses nukes, but how many have had to be used. Onjly the first 2 in Japan. Thats because nobody wants to go there. I still wont carry illegally- cant go to jail away from my family.
Old February 23, 2005, 12:18 AM   #19
WaltherP99

Quote:
Personally I don’t even agree with the permits. I think if you can pass the check to get the gun you should be able to carry it. Anything beyond a “shall issue” is moronic in my opinion and the shall issue is basically just a way to tax carry.
Amen brother. I know before they started doing the checks over the phone if you had your CCW you could dodge the waiting period. Probably why most people at that time got one. It also pisses me off that they actually ask if you are an alcoholic on the application. What does that have anything to do with carrying a gun. Why would that make someone irresponsible??? I could see drugs, but booze. Some say you are an alcoholic if you drink more than once a month. Laws suck!!!!!
Old February 23, 2005, 12:21 AM   #20
WaltherP99

Quote:
I still wont carry illegally- cant go to jail away from my family.
Wise choice my good man!!! I would honestly fight it tho'. The government is supposed to be for its citizens. Always lived by the saying "It doesn't hurt to try!"
Old February 23, 2005, 12:32 AM   #21
jlwatts3

I used to carry before my CCW. From what I know it is a misdemeanor (1st offense). I'd rather be alive in jail than in the ground.
As for reccomendations, right now I carry Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact.
Old February 23, 2005, 01:23 AM   #22
chris in va

Problem is though, you may go to jail just for having it, before it even gets used. Funny thing, my conservatively-minded friend that worked on Capitol Hill for a while is moving to CA due to getting married soon.

I'm trying to convince him not to.
Old February 23, 2005, 01:52 AM   #23
PaleRyder

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.
Old February 23, 2005, 02:30 AM   #24
Jeff OTMG

You know the risk, it is your decision. I carried a gun for 15 years before getting a permit, but I didn't carry it all the time, just most of the time. I never got caught and that is the key.
Old February 23, 2005, 06:08 AM   #25
LAK

My advice is to move to an open carry state if possible. Actually, I would highly recommend Alaska or Vermont. You can carry any way you please - no permission required. No "mandatory training" fees, paper, prints, photos, taxes, "renewal" taxes/course fees needed.