The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 16, 2005, 01:38 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Anyone own a LeMat?

I guess I have just gone ball and cap today in looking forward to getting my Navy back. But has anyone ever fired the LeMat? A nine shot ball and cap revolver with a .20 gauge shotgun barrel under the muzzel carried by several Southern Officers such as Jeb Stuart and PGT Beauregard. (Who says one Johnny Reb can't lick 20 Yankees ) "Com'on Bluebellys, I got nine shots here, and a shotgun blast to take out 11 more!"

Anyway, anyone ever fired one of these guns? What does it feel like. I have handled them in the gunstore and....frankly they are a little awkward to cock.
Old August 16, 2005, 03:33 PM   #2
mec

Hang on. Here it comes.

I've had and fired two of them. One from Navy Arms, the other bought a couple of years ago through Dixie- Both made by Pietta. The Lemat Replica is one gun that F Pietta seems motivated to get right.

The chamber/barrel relationships are right for accuracy and the chambers are in alignment with the barrel. Function is smooth and trouble free in the revolver model with cap fragment jams very unlikely to occur. The grip angle is a lot steeper than on colts, remingtons and most other revolvers we are used to and the revolver is heavy. It does hand steady on target though.
accuracy is very fine

The shot barrel is problematic and will usually not discharge without several hammer strikes or modification of the caps (thinned down at some personal risk). Even though the mainspring is stiff and cocking is a bit difficult, the short throw with the hammer nose rotated down for the shot barrel and the oblique angle it strikes make ignition unreliable. I think that 19th century fulminate caps might have been more sensitive and of softer material (copper rather than guilding metal.) and the early ones might have been more reliable.

The lock work parts are large and robust and largely unavailable except through two month + back order through VTI gunparts or Taylor &Co. It is impossible to get any reliable information or assistance from the Pietta Company. The loading lever tends to fly up at each shot launching the shot barrel ram rod out of the loading lever and the flip down version of the barrel latch will begin to unseat and drop down after the gun has been used a few times. The fragile, loading lever retainer on the side of the barrel is subject to frequent breakage. The long curved spring that keeps the hammer nose erect for revolver firing is another part that occasionally breaks.

The lemat and other percussion handguns are covered here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&st=*

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 18, 2005, 11:53 PM   #3
38splfan

mec

Hey MEC, you look like an awfully gruff feller in that bottom pitcher

Seriously, your past posts tend to indicate that you have quite a cap and ball collection, and more than passable skill with them.

have you considered them for self defense?
I love my '58 Remington for utility carry during BP season.
Old August 19, 2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Sir William

The sad truth is, they were obsolete as they were beginning production. There were French interests to be considered in the south. The LeMat was a neat cavalry revolver. Rumour was that you could shoot nine rounds to a Colts 6 and shoot a horse with the underbarrel shotgun. The fact is, it was simpler, lighter and faster to carry 2-3 Colts in the saddle during a battle/charge. The LeMat came in Cavalry, Navy and Infantry/Dismounted versions. Forrest had his Body Guard armed with them. Most discarded them for captured Colts. I think of them as an Edsel of the C&B era. My experience mirrors MECs. Fragile and somewhat abusive to the hand/knuckles. They certainly have stylepoints. Self defense? I would sharpen a stick and get a rock first. A 58 Remington or a Rogers & Spencer would be superior.
Old August 23, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5
mec

I've owned and shot two Lemats. The burglars got the first one and I had to get another one for the book. Also own several others- colt and remington copies. It may tell you something that the only one I sold off after the book was finished was the Lemat.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Oh. Defensive Use.
Before I got into this book I was acquainted with earlier percussion replicas that regularly broke trigger return and hand springs and didn't consider them any where near reliable enough for defensive use. The recent Ubertis feature good metallurgy and temper in the springs and parts and are a lot more reliable. Still I wouldn't pick one for serious defensive use unless nothing else was available. The rugers are very durable and mine functions very well- It is most useful in places where ordinary handguns are hard to own. In Texas, none of the pre-cartridge replicas are even considered firearms or handguns under the law. (though the police would apply the "duck principle" if they saw you walking down the street with one. (Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck- it's a Duck.)

While researching the book, I ran across a couple of fairly recent shootings with a Ruger OA and a 61 Navy copy. Neither one was really defensive but both were fatal.

Last edited by mec; August 23, 2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old February 9, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
samnev

HoIw Do You Disassemble The Lemat

I bought my first LeMat today and can not take it apart I did not get any Disassembly Instructions and do not want to mar this fine weapon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Old February 10, 2008, 11:03 AM   #7
CraigC

Call the manufacturer and get the book sent to you.
Old February 10, 2008, 03:32 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mike, can you post what you've learned about the ROA that were used with fatal effect?
Old February 10, 2008, 11:25 PM   #9
mec

I was being a bit vague about that. A woman-famous artist or writer or something in california decided to check out and bought an old army because there was no waiting period.
Kaput.

the PIetta company takes two approaches to questions of this sort. They either do not answer inquires or answer them so ineffectually that it does no good. The Lemat is not difficult to take down to the major substructures-You put it on half cock, undo the latch at the bottom/front of the frame and unscrew the barrel from the shot barrel. The shot barrel may come off at the same time or separately. cylinder comes off a this point.

removing the side plate and lock work are quite difficult particularly because you need a split spanner type screwdriver blade to loosen the nut that holds the sidel plate on. The factory generally torques this in place with murderous and unnecessary force.

at the top of this picture, you will see a screwdriver blade that I modified with a file-slow process as I didnt want to use anything to harm the temper. I the heated the area over an open flame and applied force to unscrew the side plate. Only when this is accomplished can you unscrew the screw on the right side of the frame. You need a thin profile screwdriver for this I had to modifiy one for this job also. There is no need to retighten on reassembly.

For the most part, I cleaned my with the sideplate in place by flushing out the interior with hot soapy water and using near=boiling water to dry- applying a great deal of oil inside and out while the water was still steaming off the gun.