The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 21, 2005, 11:17 PM   #1
Fremmer

Review: Dewey Cleaning Rod and Bore Saver

I bought a new Dewey Cleaning Rod and Dewey Bore Saver for a .308 rifle with a 24" barrel.

The Rod ($24.99) is a one-piece 27 to 34 caliber 44" nylon coated w/male thread. It comes with a .30 caliber jag, and a female adapter. The Rod is coated with soft nylon. The handle is well shaped and well made, and it easily rotates. The 44" length works well. I have about 6" of extra rod, but too much is better than not enough. The pointed-end jag that came with the Rod is pretty wide. So wide that a .30 patch on the end of the jag will not push through the bore without the use of considerable force, and I'm not so enthusiastic about forcing anything through a bore. A .22 caliber patch on the .30 jag went through easily and, surprisingly, worked fairly well. I replaced the jag with a plastic slotted patch holder that I happed to have. The .30 patches worked very well with the slotted patch holder. The handle on the Rod really rotates well - you can feel the patch on the rifling as you push it through the bore.

The Bore Saver ($19.89) is essentially a tube (which guides the rod), and an adjustable 'bolt' that can be screw-locked in place. There are a couple of plastic rings around the end of the tube which are said to block fluid from flowing back into the receiver. The Bore Saver comes with spare rings and an installation piece for installing new rings on the tube. The instructions that come with the Bore Saver are well written, and clearly state what should and should not be done.
The Bore Saver works well. It is easy to set up, and it stays in place with only a few adjustments. I don't know whether it prevented fluid from leaking into the receiver area, but I didn't see any fluid in there when I finished cleaning the rifle.

I would recommend both Dewey products. They are well made and do exactly what they are supposed to do. They are not inexpensive, but they look like they will last for years.