The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 7, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
blackmind

Ideas for a few more Forum Categories

I was thinking that we could benefit from a separate forum for Concealed Carry Issues/Gear/Clothing/Tactics/Laws...

also, I think that there are probably those who would enjoy a forum for discussing absolutely non-gun-related stuff. Some other online forums have a decompression area where naughty words are NOT forbidden, and also it doesn't matter what the subject is.

Some of us are challenged to keep it "rated G" in the main forums. What about an area for off-color remarks, which, while not necessarily tolerating abuse or flames, would be where we could discuss off-gun-topic issues (like news, hobbies, celebrities, movies and tv, books, etc.) and "get a little loose"?

-blackmind
Old October 7, 2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
I was thinking that we could benefit from a separate forum for Concealed Carry Issues/Gear/Clothing/Tactics/Laws...
These each fit well into existing forums:
Concealed Carry in Tactics and Training
Gear/Clothing in Gear and Accessories
Tactics in Tactics and Training
Laws in Legal

Quote:
also, I think that there are probably those who would enjoy a forum for discussing absolutely non-gun-related stuff. Some other online forums have a decompression area where naughty words are NOT forbidden, and also it doesn't matter what the subject is.
Hmmmmmm, lemme think about it.
OK, I thought about it. No.

Quote:
Some of us are challenged to keep it "rated G" in the main forums.
TFL's Mission does not include providing a communication vehicle for everyone. Some people would do better in other venues.
Rich
Old October 7, 2005, 03:38 PM   #3
blackmind

Well, I was just thinking that the issues discussed in a CC-specific forum would keep it nice and condensed to those laws, clothing, guns, gear that are specifically tailored to concealed carry of firearms. This way, one would not need to sort through laws about full auto, or modifications or such.

I understand the code of conduct, as well. I'm just saying, sometimes people who have no problem keeping it in line on the regular forum still might wish to have a place to blow off steam.

Also, other forums I have been to contain spaces for general discussion; this is where gun-folk could alert others to, say, a good movie, or an interesting website with funny stuff. Where on TFL would it be appropriate, say, to alert someone to a hilarious article on The Onion?

Anyway, I just thought something like that might be welcome, and make the site more versatile. There's no place to generally just socialize at this point -- at least, not without dragging a particular thread off topic.

blue skies,
-blackmind
Old October 7, 2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

BM-
Part of the exchange between Staff and Members is the Members' willingness to work a bit. If we thought that a CCW forum would be well trafficked or provide clear distinction from other Forums here, we'd add it.

As to a General Kibitzing Forum, TFL is not set up as a ClubHowz. This is by design. It's a firearms resource site. We encourage friendship and camaraderie, but we leave it to the members to pursue such relationships by email or PM.

No-Holds Barred forums have come and gone.....usually right down the sewer. Staff has no desire to be associated with such. Most of us use our real names and care what we attach those names to.
Rich
Old October 7, 2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I would like to see TFL Forum stay just the way it is. I have been to other forums and they end up using a thread as if they were message texting with their neighbors and buddies or whatever. It's just too much social BS IMO.

This forum is strict and I think that is why it is a Great place to hang out. X or R rated post are of no interest to me. Once the off color language gets started I think it would spread like cancer into the other forums we now enjoy.

As for a general non-gun topic, I would go along with that idea, however I don't think it's really needed.

I find that it's nice to see a large variety of topics within each forum as long as they stay somewhat related to the main subject or topic.

I think the moderators do a great job in keeping TFL one of my favorites. Thanks to all....

This is just my 2 cents and I would like to hear what others think about it. No harm in asking...right?
Old October 7, 2005, 05:48 PM   #6
USP45usp

Off-Topic Forums:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewforum.php?id=1 (is the roundtable from THR. Even if you are banned on THR, Oleg will still allow you to be a member at APS).

www.combatcarry.com has a general OT forum

www.warrifles.com has a general OT forum

www.shooterslobby.com also has a general OT forum

There are other good boards that offer what you wish. Many members here and elsewhere are members of some of the boards that I've mentioned.

Good luck .

Wayne