The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 26, 2005, 11:56 PM   #1
titleman2005

gun identification

harley and jim here is another one for you. the rifle is a single shot octigon 26 inch barrel. it is all stainless and believe it is 30.cal or smaller. the lever action opens and the block with(firing pin) goes down. The name Matteson F.A. INC. CANAJOHARIE NY USA Haucks pat(patent). this gun weighs close to 15-20 lbs. since server change i am unable to upload photo says unable to move/copy. I can e-mail to you guyes if it will help. thanks again
Old October 27, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, in the 1950s, Wilbur J. Hauck designed and made a falling block single shot action and built rifles on it. Address given as West Arlington, Vermont in 1957.

It appears from the markings that Matteson Firearms licensed the Hauck patent and made rifles to his design, but I am unable to find anything about them in my small library.
Old October 27, 2005, 07:16 PM   #3
titleman2005

jim

jim do you have any pictures of the wilber hauck design or know where i should start my search . thanks again
Old October 27, 2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I found a picture of one in the 1957 Gun Digest. I have seen photos elsewhere but don't recall where. I have never seen mechanical drawings of the details of the action. I don't know what the searchability of patents is these days. Last time I tried via internet, it was not helpful.
Google on Hauck shows little, nothing on Matteson F.A.
Old October 28, 2005, 12:16 AM   #5
titleman2005

jim

jim can you tell me what the info was in the 1957 gun digest. production info calibers and prices and any othe rlisted info thanks
Old October 28, 2005, 09:29 AM   #6
Jim Watson

The Haucks were total custom rifles, what you ordered was what you got and paid for - $300 when a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade was $185.

I found another reference to the Hauck in 'Rifles, a Modern Encyclopedia' by Henry J. Stebbins, 1958. You can find this one at gun show booksellers every now and then. A few quotes:
"For some years he has been making his own, a hammerless falling block lever action with flowing lines that rather suggest the Savage 99 receiver. It has a speed lock, with only 3/8" hammer fall, and both hammer and firing pin are retracted before the breechblock starts to go down...
In other ways this entirely modern action is built to handle modern ammunition, practically everything from .222 Remington to .375 H&H Magnum...
The rifle shoots high intensity cartridges with accuracy, the barrel shank that enters the receiver is long and thus adds to the stiffness of assembly. So does the bolt that binds the stock to the receiver. Finally the forestock is floating, it's attached to a metal hanger that is screwed into the receiver...
The Hauck single shot is well adapted for use with rimless cases, when so ordered. Few others pull much reloaded and unresized brass of this type reliably, but this rifle has to be modern and is."

Sounds a lot like a Ruger No 1, doesn't it? About 25 years early.

Note that this is about the Hauck made guns. I have not seen anything at all about Matteson and have no idea how closely he followed the Hauck design or quality. You have that one to look at. Maybe a real expert will come along.
Old October 28, 2005, 10:47 PM   #7
titleman2005

jim

great info i will research those sources to see if they can privide additional info. I seem to come across odd ball stuff and I am sure I will need your assistance again.thanks
Old February 22, 2010, 12:15 PM   #8
SingleShotGuy

Hauck Rifles

I know this reply is 5 years after the fact, but I too am a Hauck SS rifle buff. If you want a nice picture of one, go to Cabella's web site and then go to the Gun Library tab; typr in Hauck in the search field and you'll see a picture of one that was sold (and that I missed!!) for a reasonable price. Not only did Hauck design the action, but he also had it patented. He developed a few wildcats as well that he chambered the custom weapons for. Years ago I had one in .250 Hauck Magnum which is like an Ackley improved 25-06.

If you want to see the patent, it is available at this link:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2749641.pdf

If you ever come across one for sale please let me know.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:53 PM   #9
PetahW

Here the pic: