The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1
lrglnman

Cleaning guns in general

What is some good stuff to use to clean guns before using remoil or stuff like that ?
I have heard that you can use break cleaner to do the job real well.then follow up with a high quality oil or grease. what are your opinions on doing a high quality clean job?
Old November 19, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2
topspin43

I use brake cleaner about every fifth cleaning but make sure it is compatible with the plastic pieces on your weapon first. I tend to use it on the slide and not the frame. Also, it completely breaks down all the oil on your piece...so after I use it, I completely get it out of all crevases (like the firing pin area) with a can of pressurized computer keyboard air and then I re-lube thoroughly.
Old November 20, 2005, 02:33 AM   #3
C Philip

I really like Hoppes #9 and CLP Breakfree. They are quality products and get my guns spotless. I've never had any rust or anything.
Old November 20, 2005, 08:30 AM   #4
AZta2guy

I like to use Shooters Choice Quick scrub when deatail cleaning my pistols so long as the plastic is compatabl. There is a cleaner made that is designed to be used with plastics as well. Have not tried it yet. For regular cleaning I use good ol hoppies and fallow with rem oil. I like to let the rem oil soak into the metal after using the quick scrub, then wipe away. I like to run my 1911 and sigs on the dry side. My H&K likes to be oiled a bit more. And my BHP likes to have the rails good and oiled but not so much with the intrenals. Hope that helps
Old November 20, 2005, 08:59 AM   #5
n3twrkm4n

Hoppes solvent, Otis oil, I'm a clean freak with my guns so I make sure to get almost everything off of it.

IF you go to the dollar store you can usually get toothbrushes in a pack of like 12 for you guessed it! A dollar! hah... I use them to clean the internals cause my fingers aren't that small.

I usually use Remington's 'teflon' type oil on the external portions and that otis oil on the mechanical parts. I prefer thinner oils outside and a little thicker in. Not too thick though caues then things can get gunked up.
Old November 20, 2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Just about every cleaning system has its fans. In general, I like Ed's Red now for removing powder and and primer fouling. It's cheap and works well. To get the metal fouling off I use Butch's Boreshine for copper, letting it rest a few minutes to overnight per patch. If copper it is really stubborn I use Iosso Bore paste to speed things up.

For lead I haven't had great luck with the commercial cleaning solvents. I own Lewis Lead Removers for most pistol calibers. Wrapping a few strands of 100% copper scouring pad around one-caliber-too-small brush will scour the stuff out without hurting the barrel. (Be careful it says 100% copper so you don't get copper plated steel).

I own and use an Outer's FoulOut if either copper or lead is really thick stubborn.

Nick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ed's Red Revisited.pdf (25.9 KB, 33 views)
Old November 20, 2005, 06:18 PM   #7
M3 Pilot

I'm no expert

but +1 on Eds Red
Old November 20, 2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Micrometer

Kroil and JB bore cleaning compound

Just started using Kroil and JB bore cleaning compound and I like the results.
Old November 20, 2005, 11:07 PM   #9
holiday132

my cleaning normaly consists of wd-40 or sewing machine oil and q-tips, since i don't trust my self to try and feild strip one.

I might get it broke down but i would not trust my self to put it back together.
Old November 20, 2005, 11:43 PM   #10
Ftom14cat

Has anyone had any problems with the hoppes solvent taking the finish off of their gun?
Old November 22, 2005, 08:19 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I haven't used Hoppe's #9 since they changed the formula. When I was a kid it used nitrobenzene as the main solvent. Now its banana oil, I believe. Less carcinogenic, I'm sure, but I don't know what it does to a finish? Probably depends on the finish.

Nick