The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 10, 2006, 09:57 PM   #1
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

The LawDog Files, part 1

A big part of the Sheriff's "Work smarter, not harder" philosophy involved the fine art of misdirection -- if a subject was so confused that he wasn't per-zackly sure which way was up, then he/she/it/they probably wouldn't be causing the sorts of problems which require extra paperwork. Or ER trips. Depositions. Lawsuits. That kind of thing.

Which brings us to the Pink Gorilla Suit.

*sigh*

Tucked not-far-enough in the back of the evidence closet was a costume that the S.O. had picked up from somewhere. As the name suggests, this was a gorilla costume, mostly pink.

Now, when I say pink, I don't think y'all quite understand the depth of pinkness we are contemplating here: It was pink, pink. Neon pink. Flourescent pink. A pink not found anywhere in nature. A pink that, in and of itself, constituted a radiation hazard. A shade of pink which, after a single glimpse, would cause the most flamboyant Mardi Gras costumer to protest that things had gone too far.

Pink.

Now, bad as this mental picture is, the long-ago insane designer of this suit had apparently decided that having only one eye-searing shade was simply too boring, so this poor unfortunate had added spats, gloves, cuffs, a bow-tie and a top hat.

All very natty, and all very mauve.

We will now pause to give the Gentle Reader enough time to fully digest the Sheer Awfulness that was the Pink Gorilla Suit.

Yeah.

Anyhoo, we had gotten a search warrant. Apparently our Usual Suspects had graduated to Methamphetamine, Distribution Of; and had stashed a functioning meth lab inside a garage apartment out behind the house of, and belonging to, the grandparents of Usual Suspect #3.

Our pre-warrant briefing consisted of The Sheriff reminding us of some of the knottier problems associated with executing a search warrant on a meth lab (most of which seem to involve uncontrolled high-speed random disassembly of various items and/or people) and finishing off with a reminder that the Standard Obscenity Procedure for this sort of thing was to distract the critters long enough for officers to secure the scene without any of what the Sheriff referred to as "fuss and bother."

That's when the Chief Deputy handed me the box containing the Pink Gorilla Suit.

*sigh*

There I was, sulking down the street in front of God and everybody, wearing a neon-pink-gorilla-suit-with-mauve-accoutrements over jeans, armour and a pistol, with a search warrant tucked securely in my sleeve, and the Sheriff's exhortations to "Be distracting" ringing in my ears.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old January 10, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Dave R

A new Lawdog file. All is right with the world. But ya had to make it a dadgum SERIAL!?!?!?
Old January 10, 2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

LawDog, you mentioned every shade of pink except... the shade of pink your cheeks turned .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 11, 2006, 01:45 AM   #4
Ledbetter

Hey Man,
Look forward to hearing the remainder of the story. Be safe; be well.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old January 11, 2006, 08:31 PM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I can hardly wait for the conclusion to *this* story.

The imagination runs wild...
Old January 12, 2006, 10:32 PM   #6
Matt19

Is this story illustrated with many pictures from the fateful day?
Old January 15, 2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Dave R

Bump. Eagerly awating part 2.
Old January 15, 2006, 10:30 PM   #8
Sulaco2

Pictures!!! We WANT pictures!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 16, 2006, 12:01 AM   #9
grey_pilgrim

Wow. . . you better not end it there. This is awsome!
Old January 16, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

A New LawDog file!!!
The world won't end now after all!
Old January 16, 2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ian-
I don't know how long I can hold this gathering mob together. Come to think of it, I can't say for certain when I'll give in and order them to tear you to pieces.

Stand and deliver!
Rich
Old January 16, 2006, 10:57 AM   #12
Baba Louie

Laughing outloud already!

Great Pink, pistol packing Pongidae, please continue...
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 16, 2006, 11:16 AM   #13
citizen

FINALLY!! (again, Thank God!) An "educational thread"!
American Lit, advanced course.........
Life is too short for dial-up
Old January 16, 2006, 01:10 PM   #14
IZinterrogator

I hope we won't have to wait for a gag order to be lifted to hear Part 2!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old January 16, 2006, 02:14 PM   #15
Twycross

*Frothing at the mouth*

C'mon, c'mon, fork it over! You gave me a sample, now I'm going into withdrawal!
Old January 16, 2006, 02:41 PM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Ian, a while back, I took all of your stories and sent them with my wife to her work, Cassia Regional Medical Center. Ya see, I had a habit of reading her your stories, whenever you permitted yourself to write one and post it.

Well, it seems that she went around the hospital and on certain occasions, could be heard to say things like, "Chicken. BIG Chicken!" People pretty soon, naturally wanted to know what the heck she meant.

So like I said, I formatted your stories and sent them to work with her. Now Kathy, my wife, works in the lab as a CLA (Certified Lab Assistant), had had the whole lab in stitches... almost literally. One thing led to another and the ER got hold of the files. Then Radiology got them. Somehow, they filtered throughout the hospital... Across county lines to Minidoka Memorial Hospital. Along the way, some of our friendly Boys In Blue, as they came and went in the ER, so I came to find out that they had circulated through the Cassia Co. SO, the Minidoka Co. SO and Rupert PD. I don't think they've made it to Twin Falls yet... But one never Knows for sure...

Ian, if'n I send this story out with Kathy, it won't be long until I have a knock at my door. The group of people that are outside will be demanding the rest of this story. What am I to tell them when they all say, "Bubba! Don't make me hurt you?"

For my sake... My wife's sake. For two hospitals and 3 police agencies... Where's the rest of that story????
Old January 16, 2006, 04:42 PM   #17
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Part II.

Bearing in mind that the search warrant was only for the garage and apartment, and not wanting to find myself in Animal Control's Bad Graces (again) I moped up the steps to the main house and rang the doorbell.

Light footsteps approached the door, followed by a long pause. Then the sound of the footsteps heading away from the door.

*sigh*

I pulled my badge out from the collar of the suit and held it prominently in one paw.

This time the footsteps were accompanied by a heavier tread. I waved my badge at the peep-hole and was rewarded with the door opened just enough for me to be beheld by an extremely suspicious eye.

I tipped my hat (top, mauve in colour) politely, "Afternoon, sir. Sheriff's Office. Pardon the interruption, but we're going to be serving a warrant on your garage and apartment. The Sheriff told me to tell you that he'd take it kindly if y'all would stay inside the house until we got things under control."

Long pause.

'Under control" murmured the gentleman slowly as he opned the door a little more fully, "Are you planning on that there control thing happening any time soon?"

Smart aleck.

"Can't really tell with this kind of thing, sir. We'll let you know as soon as possible."

Might as well get this over with. I leaned slightly right and looked around the gentleman to the lady of the house, "Ma'am", tip of the hat again, "Mind if I borrow some of your flowers?"

She looked at me, at the innocent tulips on the edge of the walk, and back to me.

"Umm. Go right ahead. You do know that you're...pink?"

"Hadn't noticed, ma'am" I lied gallantly, while selecting a pair of yellow tulips that set off the mauve spats nicely, "We'll be around back, if you need us."

I trudged back to the street, turned left and walked down to where the driveway from the garage entered the street. The garage sat about twenty feet or so back, with the apartment being the second floor of the structure.

The only ways in or out, were two roll-up garage doors and a people-type door facing me, and the only windows to be seen were on the side facing the street.

*sigh*

Distracting. Hah.

I looked around and made sure that I was at the junction of the driveway and the public street, set my top hat securely on the mask, straightened the gloves and spats, took a deep breath...

...and burst into a full-blown, top-of-the-lungs, you'll-bloody-well-hear-this-one-at-Carnegie-Hall rendition of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. While using the tulips as the microphone.

By God. *snort, snort* I did the works. Vocals. Back-up vocals. Sound effects. Kinda-sorta instruments. Howling. The whole nine yards.

And, of course, Dirty Deeds has that lovely guitar solo, which lends itself quite nicely to an air-guitar -- excuse me -- tulip guitar performance.

Well, if it didn't, it does now.

Unfortunately, the tulip-guitar solo kind of led into a dance.

It was fairly energetic dance. And maybe a touch expressive...

All right! There was gyrating going on.

However, I do not think that I was doing -quote "The gorilla version of a fan dance" -unquote; I don't think that you can do -quote "Suggestive things with a hat" -unquote when you're wearing a fur suit over armour and that over jeans; and I do take umbrage at the suggestion that I -quote "Gave them the 'Full Monkey'" -unquote.

Part 3 to follow. In a bit.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old January 16, 2006, 04:55 PM   #18
IZinterrogator

LawDog, I have 14 hours until I go out to the field again for two weeks. Don't leave me wondering what happened the whole time.

Cripes, 14 hours!!! I had no idea it was so late. I better go do my laundry.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old January 17, 2006, 11:16 PM   #19
psycho nut

pink gorrila, singing, dancing

my lungs, they burn
Old January 18, 2006, 03:14 PM   #20
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I couldn't hold back. I read this thread to my wife, Kathy. You remember her, she works at a local hospital in the Lab? When I got to the post I made earlier... She stopped me (yes, I read her the responses too).

Lawdog, it seems your fame has made it across another county's borders. Not only did an EMT drive the "files" over to Twin Falls (40 miles from here), but a T.F. Deputy did the same. Somehow this got up to Shoshone County.

You are now known throughout South Central Idaho by every hospital and Police Dept. in 4 counties! There's no telling how far this will go. In a few months, you may make it to Boise and the State Capitol... I understand that some enterprising Idaho State Trooper is carrying the "files"....
Old January 18, 2006, 04:43 PM   #21
USP45usp

Not to start anything (in other words, this is not meant to start anything) but I want to give my personal reasons for liking the LawDog files:

It makes LEO's seem more human. That's the gist of it. Instead of all the "fighting" that went on with the Us vs Them debates where each party seems hell bent on being superior to each other, the LawDog files bring everyone together.

The same goes for the way that Capt. Charlie posts, it shows that we are all the same, humans.

I don't know if this is appropriate or not and I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, just felt the need to explain why I really, really enjoy the LawDog files .

Wayne

*if inappropriate or not good for the thread (as in it may side track it), please delete
Old January 18, 2006, 07:05 PM   #22
Ledbetter

So far, beats the hell out of a flash-bang grenade.

When does that "under control thing" get around to hapenning?

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old January 19, 2006, 01:40 AM   #23
Holly76201

LawDog,
it ain't that far a drive from here to there. "Don't make me hurt you, Bubba".

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed tomaintain its sovereigncontrol over its government.
FDR, Fireside chat, 4-14-38
Old January 20, 2006, 11:55 AM   #24
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

btt
Old January 20, 2006, 01:44 PM   #25
Redworm

aw jeez, that's just hilarious. eagerly anticipating the next chapter