The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2006, 07:12 AM   #1
shamus005

Gun Store idjit, chapter 2

I decided to browse at a used Sig. I'm used to the gun store people clearing the weapon before handing it to me, but the gun store guy takes the gun out, POINTS THE GUN AT ME WITH HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, and then proceeds to rack the slide back to ensure the weapon is clear. During this procedure I took a prudent side-step to get out of the muzzle sweep. I look the weapon over. Aftwerwards, I rack the slide and lock it back to ensure the weapon is safe and hand it back to him with the muzzle in a safe direction. He then releases the slide slock and the slide slams shut on an empty chamber.

You know, it's not just the gun store employees...it's the customers that are starting to tick me off. I can't walk into a gun shop without at least one or two or three idjits muzzel sweeping me, their fingers on the triggers. I'm doing the gun store limbo and trying to avoid the muzzles of multiple guns being handled by rank ignorant, untrained unaware idjits.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Grayrider

Customers....

I was looking at a carbine years ago--don't recall what exactly. It was in my then regular shop that happened to also be a pawn broker. This kid looks at the gun I am holding and says, "what do you hunt with that daddy?" His father pulled him back behind him like he was in danger, and said soberly "it is not for hunting son, it is for .... killing .... people... " (dramatic pause coupled with trembling in his voice). He then glared at me like I was sent from the devil himself...

My dealer friend appologized. No biggie, but some people are so ignorant..

GR

Stop in and chat about Tanfoglio, IMI, and other CZ Pattern Pistols!
Old January 19, 2006, 03:01 PM   #3
BreakerDave

The fact that an individual works at a gun store means little in terms of his knowledge or competence with firearms. Not everyone has received proper training in the handling and use of firearms.

Instead of complaining about the ignorance of gun store employees and customers, you can take the opportunity to provide them with the proper instruction. Most people are not trying to do the wrong thing with their gun handling. If it is properly explained to them, they will accept the instruction.
Old January 19, 2006, 03:04 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

oh man, the stuff you hear and see. Yesterday I see gun store clerk demonstrating pistol to customer; drops slide on empty chamber hard.

Quote:
doing the gun store limbo
Could be the latest dance craze - cross between the locomotion, the twist, and the chicken dance.
Old January 19, 2006, 03:20 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Quote:
Could be the latest dance craze - cross between the locomotion, the twist, and the chicken dance
psshhaawwwww! we gots to get wildalaska to take pics of Wild West Guns very own hiphop artiste 'Al' breaking down his urban dance skillz to avoid customers covering him with muzzles. he's got moves that breakdancers envy!

Old January 19, 2006, 03:22 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
breaking down his urban dance skillz
ha!
Old January 19, 2006, 03:46 PM   #7
BusGunner007

It hard to be diplomatic with 'idjits' in the gun store.
In the future, I promise to do my best to calmly bring their attention to SAFETY - with a smile - while doing the:

"SHOOT SHOP SHUFFLE"

...'scuze me while I go work on my mooves!
Old January 19, 2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Herr trigger

It is for this reason that I am reluctant to buy a gun which is a "display model" Many times when I agree to purchase the firearm the clerk comes out of the back with the empty box and wants me to take the one in the case which has undoubtly been handled or mishandled by countless gundumb morons. Many times if they do not have another similar gun in stock and will not order me a new one I will go buy it elsewere. If I am paying for a new gun, I will be the first one to play with it.
Old January 19, 2006, 09:38 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Yep. Unless they knock 5-10% off the purchase price. Esp. rimfires - I don't buy the display model because of dry fire concerns.
Old January 20, 2006, 04:16 PM   #10
toast

Was in a CCW class where the instructor was passing around a revolver to the circle of seated students. Out of the 15 or so people in the class I was the only one not to point it at anyone, not to mention at least 4 or 5 fellow classmates. And, of course, everyone closed the cylinder before passing it on. The instructor failed to notice this and said nothing.

Last edited by toast; January 22, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old January 20, 2006, 04:17 PM   #11
toast

Double Tap, sorry.

Last edited by toast; January 22, 2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old January 20, 2006, 11:47 PM   #12
beardking

I was going to Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine to visit there OH so wonderful range and of course had to check and lock up my guns before I entered the store. While the bonehead check my gun to make sure it was empty, he was pointing it directly at my stomach with his finger on the trigger. I did the obligatory sidestep motion (I'm sorry, I don't dance) and once I got my guns back went on about my bidness. I did make it a point to mention to the older dude that unlocked my guns that the younger bonehead that is supposed to be "keeping it safe for other customers" could REALLY use some education in the correct ways of handling firearms.
Old January 20, 2006, 11:54 PM   #13
Eghad

We started out with revolvers in my CHL class.... you woulda gotten eaten alive for closing the cylinders in the class even if passing them around. The Instructor must have spent 30 minutes telling the students what was acceptable and unacceptable handgun handling practices before we were allowed to pass the revolver around.

NRA Life Member
Old January 21, 2006, 12:11 AM   #14
Mike P. Wagner

A good reason for teaching your kids...

I did a lot of shooting as a kid - my dad taught me all of the safety rules. I lost interest before high school.

A decade passes, and I don't touch a weapon. I am on a road trip during grad school with a sculptor friend, and we're both very tired. We stop at his grandma's house and have a big dinner, with wine etc.

So I am half asleep when gandam decides to show us her deceased husband's firearms. She hands me a bold action rifle with the bolt closed.

I am not even thinking - I swear it was muscle memory - my hands pull back the bolt so the action was open (it was clear, there was no round in the chamber). My friend looked at me all bug-eyed - I had moved pretty fast.

He said, "Why did you do that?"

I loooked down, and I was a little surprised, I really hadn't thought about doing it. It was purely reflex. I had a rush of gratitude for my dad and that NRA training as a kid - maybe the whole point of all that to take the proper action when I *wasn't* thinking.

I sort of put my foot in my mouth (I was looking at action, still astounded that the old habit was still there) - I said,"Never hand a weapon to someone unless the chamber is empty, and they can see the chamber." I think I embarassed the grandmother - but I was quoting my dad.

The terminology may still not be the same, but those old lession stick.

Mike
Old January 22, 2006, 07:38 PM   #15
ICE1210

Wagner,
I tought Shooting Merit Badges for Boy Scouts of America for 6 summers. You could always tell whose kids had been "Raised Right".