The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1
urbanassault

Need info on Colt SA revo set

Im looking for any information on what these two guns are worth and if they are anything special (special centennial box set or anything like that) they are my dads and he doesnt know anything about them really. They are in perfect condition. One is a Colt SA buntline scout w/ ~9" barrel in .22mag and the other is a Colt SA frontier scout w/ 4" barrel in .22lr

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colts1.jpg (53.6 KB, 162 views)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Last edited by urbanassault; February 14, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old February 14, 2006, 12:36 PM   #2
urbanassault

btt

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 14, 2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Colt made MANY guns like this as various Commemorative models, and as individual orders through the Colt Custom Shop.

We need more info to ID them. Is there any info on the box or guns, pertaining to Commemorative model or special serial numbers, etc.

One excellent source of info on cased Colt's is Cherry's, who specialize in these sets:
http://www.cherrys.com/
Old February 14, 2006, 03:31 PM   #4
urbanassault

Thats the problem there is no special marking on the guns or on the box besides what I had previously stated (One is a Colt SA buntline scout w/ ~9" barrel in .22mag and the other is a Colt SA frontier scout w/ 4" barrel in .22lr) there is also some engraving work on the bottom the frame/grip its just some swirls on the metal, but other than that no special markings....

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 14, 2006, 04:10 PM   #5
urbanassault

I sent an email to the guys at Cherrys, they werent really any help, this is what he had to say:
Quote:
The guns were made in the early 1960's as a set. They are decent guns.
So.....not a whole lot of help. But I tracked down another set of them for sale on a different website and this is what they had to say:
Quote:
COLT FRONTIER SCOUT .22 LR, 4-3/4" NICKEL WITH WOOD STOCKS & COLT BUNTLINE SCOUT 9-1/2" NICKEL WITH WOOD STOCKS. These were shipped in 1961 in a double pres. case with red interior which they're still in. Both are mint, unfired and the exact set is pictured on page 78 of the Wilkerson book. S/n's are 7986K & 8050K. (C&R lic. o.k.)
The Pair:
$1850

I guess for almost 1k per gun they should be "decent".....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colts.jpg (25.1 KB, 148 views)

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 14, 2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

I'm sure Colt had some kind of name for the set, unless this was a Custom Shop special run for some distributor or business.

The best info you're likely to get would be to buy a Colt Historical Letter from the factory.

These cost around $100.00. The letter is a document-grade frame-able letter listing everything Colt knows about the guns.
This would include the ship date, finish, grips, barrel lengths, and any custom features.
Since this was a set, they would tell you WHAT set or issue it was, and whether it was a factory special or something custom made for someone else.

In this case, the letter would be money well-spent, since it would add to the value of the guns.

For details:
http://www.coltsmfg.com/

Look under the Archive Services tab.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Chydog

Back from the dead......

I have this exact same mint set, also the cleaning rod brushes and 125th anniversary medals and possibly the papers, will have to check. Received from my grandmother after dad died in 1968. She kept them in a safety deposit box for 30 years.

After some digging I have located an old 1961 ad for them which would seem to indicate they are not commemoratives per se, but rather heavy K-frame SAA production guns in nickel finish. The ad indicates they are meant for field and den and come in presentation cases with the 125th anniversary medallions. Could be had either single or as a double set. The word commemorative is not on the guns anywhere and I have been unable to locate them in any commemorative listing online.

Anyone able to shed any light on their production numbers or value?

A set recently on gunbroker with a start bid of $ 1799 received no bids

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=313933990
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt ad.JPG (160.1 KB, 11 views)
Old November 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Joe_Pike

Old November 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #9
newfrontier45

Quote:
A set recently on gunbroker with a start bid of $ 1799 received no bids
I can understand why! I would never pay that much for a pair of Frontier Scouts. That's about $800 too much and they've obviously been mishandled, judging by the ringed cylinders.