The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 16, 2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Anthony2

Why did you start carrying?

My resolve for proper training and concealed carry, has just been reaffirmed...

In the past week 8 out of 10 gas stations in the surrounding area have been victims of armed robbery!

Also, one bank was robbed and a shot was fired, thankfully no one was hurt.

Not to mention the motel that was robbed at gun point at 11:00 in the morning!:barf:

Someone explain how there can be so many robberies...all at gunpoint...all in 3 towns, where the populations cummulatively totaled wouldn't exceed 6,000 people

That got me thinking...what circumstances started the CCW process for you?

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 16, 2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Big Calhoun

I don't have my CCW yet but will be going for it soon. Why? Because I'm new in Texas and crime is just as crazy as the NJ/NY metro area. At least here, I feel like I have a fighting chance.
Old March 16, 2006, 09:46 PM   #3
atlctyslkr

House next to me got robbed, people were home at the time! During the middle of the day! I needed a permit to keep my firearm on my person while outside of my house. Wanted to make sure I didn't walk in on something unexpectedly in my own house and be unprepared.
Old March 16, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Webleymkv

My mind was made up when I was 15. I just had to wait three years so I'd be legal in doing so.
Old March 16, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Anthony2

I was 15. I just had to wait three years ?!!!!!!!

How did you get so lucky? 18yrs. old, I wish ....I have to wait for my 21st before I can even own a pistol.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old March 16, 2006, 10:52 PM   #6
JamesD

I originally started carrying because my fellow soldiers were getting mugged by gangs of locals simply because they were soldiers. That's a poor reason to wind up in the hospital. I'm in a different location now, but having seen some of the crap that goes on in the world...

I never got mugged, but as someone here once said, it's not the odds, it's what's at stake.
Old March 16, 2006, 11:50 PM   #7
Chaingunner

If I can get a CCW here in southern CA (sure, and maybe the national debt will just go away, and gas will be free, too), it'll be because San Diego basically sucks and I have no desire to get jumped and robbed. Right now I carry a knife, which is better than nothing, but I'll feel better when I've got another buddy with me.

Also, i finally got an apartment, and it's my home, and I'll be damned if I just let someone waltz in and rob me or assault me (or my roomie).

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old March 17, 2006, 02:02 AM   #8
CajunBass

I got one because I wanted it. And to support the people who worked to get "shall issue" passed in Virginia.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 17, 2006, 03:19 AM   #9
shy_man

There were times I feel like carrying my gun, but there were times also that I don't like it (it depends on the places I go that necessitates me to carry my big 1911, so I only carry my gun when I go to the range even I have our so called Permit to Carry Firearms Outside Residence (PTCFOR). There were people also who love carrying their pistol all the time even inside the house. Just like me, I even sleep with my gun putting it under my pillow, there were times also I put it in it's box and stay there for several months.

Psychologically, if we are carrying our guns always, we tend to be alwqys ready expecting unexpected circumstances. Sometimes it is just a hobby already sporting our guns in our waist.
Old March 17, 2006, 05:22 AM   #10
DunedinDragon

A number of reasons:

1) Because it's my right and I can living in a 'shall issue state'

2) Because it helps to confound the criminal mind. In my state, 1 in every 40 people are carrying. Bad guys have to take that into consideration when they chose to do bad things, and I want to contribute to that mindset.

3) Because I believe the threat level that everyday people must endure has risen to a new height given the rise in world-wide terrorism, street gangs, drugs, and general "promotion" of the gangster lifestyle.

4) It's my way of sending a message back to criminals and gangsters that they aren't immune from needing to be scared of losing their lives for living that lifestyle.

5) Most importantly, I recognized the threat level of the area I live in as evidenced by crime statistics and decided to do something about it. Think of it as "Neighborhood Watch" on steroids.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:32 AM   #11
rmagill

Reasons I have a CCL:
1) I can (PA is a shall-issue state)
2) Crime seems to be increasing (seems to be another shooting every time I look at the news/paper)
3) Odd situations always seem to occure around me (some claim I am cursed )
4) I want to be prepaired for whatever may come my way
5) I do not want to find myself in a situation where I could have done something if I was carrying, but I decided for one reason or another not to.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:45 AM   #12
doggscube

When a large man likely with a record came onto my property against my wishes. He was polite in refusing to leave my property, and in did not physically act aggressive. His girlfriend got him off the property before I could connect with the police. I realized how quickly a situation can go from condition white to condition orange when the guy is merely walking.

Then I had to wait 3 years to move to a shall-issue state.

-Jeff
Old March 17, 2006, 07:55 AM   #13
Dave85

It's the responsible thing to do.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:45 AM   #14
garryc

When Ohio started the screwed up CCW to avoid a court case in Hamilton county I went and got one. The reason, I'm a corrections officer and Ohio excluded us from being able to carry on our state I.D.
By the way, The NRA counts ohio as a win, it ain't, The NRA lost!!! The law was passed to avoid having all concealed carry laws voided do to the Ohio Constitution. We would have been better off to go to the supream court and end up with Vermont type carry.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:44 AM   #15
crow

I am 44 and have been carrying since turning 21 way back yonder. Part of it was my love for guns and just wanting to have one on me. The most important reason is to protect myself and family. I am disabled and likely could not take a beating or attack of any kind. I will do my best not to be a victim.

Crow
Old March 17, 2006, 01:03 PM   #16
candr44

I started carrying after my daughter was born. I couldn't let something happen to her without a fight.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:14 PM   #17
deanadell

Is the question 'Why did you start carrying?" Or Why did you get your CCW permit?"

I've been carrying for the last 18 years.....decided to go ahead and make it leagal last year.

Why carry? Same reason I carry jumper cabels in my truck even though I have a good battery.

You never need a handgun until you REALLY need a handgun.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:35 PM   #18
invention_45

About 5 years ago I was firmly convinced that I only escaped a carjacking because there was no nearby cross traffic in an intersection at which I was stopped.

I was 47 and had never shot a handgun. Within 2 hours of the event, I was in the neighborhood gunshop and within 3 hours I had bought my Cougar 8045 and filled out the application for the CCL.

My grandpa had a .45, so I figured that's what I'd get.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:50 PM   #19
Jkwas

After the Hurricanes in 2004 we purchased our handguns, then decided to get our ccw's so that we could always have them on us should the need arise. I don't feel good leaving a gun in my car for someone to steal. I prefer to have it with me. Sometimes I carry, sometimes I don't. Depends on where I'm going.
Old March 17, 2006, 02:21 PM   #20
dairycreek

I started carrying somewhat over 40 years ago when it occurred to me that the police simply could not be everywhere all the time. In fact, where I and my family were, the cops were not likely to be. That's when it dawned on me that if my family were to be protected - it was my primary responsibility. Hence, I started carrying. We are with our grandchildren now a lot and the same situation pertains. When they are with me they are my responsibility. Simple as that.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 17, 2006, 02:45 PM   #21
ddskehan

I started because a freind of mine working at a conveinent store was robbed. After they got the $37 he had in the drawer they killed him. If they robbed him 20 minutes later I would have been there. Over $37 dollars?
Old March 17, 2006, 03:09 PM   #22
Edward429451

A fistful of dollars and an ability to read the writing on the wall coupled with the realization that my 'sometimes' 25acp was largely a joke.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:21 PM   #23
Tom M

The town I live in borders Detroit. No other reason needed.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:40 PM   #24
Ozzieman

Simple

I moved into a state that allows CCW, that was a good enough reasion for me.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:47 PM   #25
2ksportny

I went from working for the cable co. to LE. Sometimes I think I should have carried more when I worked for the Cable Co.

Aren't we all.....