The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 29, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1
riverrat66

Cabela's vs Bass Pro

I've been a long time customer of Cabela's and this week for the first time I visited one of their stores in person (Hamburg, Pa.). I was there for two days and absolutely overwhelmed at all the stuff they had on display, everything in their catalog and more!
I've seen Bass Pro catalogs but have never purchased anything from them. There has been talk of a Bass Pro being built here in town in the next couple of years but I'm beginning to think that will never happen as they've been negotiating for over two years and are no closer now then when they started talking 2 years ago.
My question is, Which store do you prefer and why? Cabela's or Bass Pro
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old April 29, 2006, 01:34 AM   #2
SaltySteve

I'm a Bass Pro fan and buy quite a lot of stuff from them. Quite a selection. There have been going through the same process here for two years also. I think they finally jumped through enough hoops with the concerned citizens and will be allowed to break ground this summer. I love digging in their catalogs but there's nothing like going in a door and touching the merchandise. Every winter I purchase all my fishing supplies for the year in 1 shipment. their prices aren't a lot lower then Academy but they always have everything in stock. Thats more than I can say about the other stores here.
Old April 29, 2006, 01:47 PM   #3
stellarpod

We've had a Bass Pro here in Oklahoma City for three years or so. I personally advocate patronizing the smaller local shops whenever possible. However, Bass Pro does has a wider selection on many shooting/hunting related items.

That being said, I prefer Cabela's to Bass Pro as I believe they offer a broader still inventory - more hunting/camping, less fishing gear. Also, I believe their Cabela's label items are superior in quality and variety to Bass Pro's Redhead label.

stellarpod
Old April 29, 2006, 07:56 PM   #4
mar450lin

I used to visit a Bass Pro shop that was an hour away at a large mall and I had the pleasure one time of visiting a Cabelas store. I was amazed at the difference. If a person is primarily interested in hunting vs. fishing, as I am, I think that Cabelas is definately the place to go. Awesome displays of wildlife.
Old April 30, 2006, 01:32 PM   #5
DonR101395

I have a Bass Pro 12 miles from me in Destin FL and have been to the Cabela's in Dundee Michigan more times than the Bass Pro 25 minutes from my house. If I were into salt water fishing I'd take Bass Pro, but since it bores me I'll stick with Cabela's
Old April 30, 2006, 03:01 PM   #6
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Fishing, maybe - shooting, forget it...

Been to Bass Pro twice, virtually wasted trips both times looking for shooting items that should be pretty common - range bag, certain types of targets. Came away empty handed both times. They might be good for fishing, but for serious shooting stuff, fugettaboutit....

Cabelas, on the other hand, is where you can put your credit card into severe trouble if you're not careful. Hasn't been one time I haven't found what I was looking for there, and more after that. An Anschutz rifle and a Ruger Mark II now have a very happy home from a pair of trips there....
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old April 30, 2006, 09:49 PM   #7
riverrat66

Well like I said I was always a BIG fan of Cabela's but when I drove up to the store I was impressed! They had boats, a log cabin, trailers, trucks and all kinds of things on display outside for sale. The wildlife displays were outstanding. The whitetail deer display was unbelievable to say the least and I forgot my camera!

Cabela's brand products are far superior to Bass Pro's Redhead products in my opinion and they have a much greater selection of other brand name products.

Hunting, camping, shooting, fishing, boating, firearms, optics & scopes, clothes, shoes, boots, furniture, art work, guide service, truck accessories, anything you could possible need they have. Talk about one stop shopping.

I saved a bundle of money the 2 days I was there because I belong to the "Cabela's Card Club" and had some "Cabela's Bucks" saved up.

I can't wait until my next visit. Now that I know what to expect, I'll be ready to do some serious shopping!
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old May 1, 2006, 11:41 AM   #8
TexiCali Slim

Imho

Cabella's for inventory. (have a wider array of guns)
Bass Pro for customer service. (not gun snobs)
Gander Mountain. (Excellent customer service and stock)
Academy. (Prices, like wallmart you get a bunch of yahoos "helping" you)
Local gun shop. (Help out the little guy)
Old May 1, 2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Technical Fowl

Cabelas. Between the Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops I've been too, Cabelas just seems to have more stuff! Both though are like Disney Land for adults.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:39 PM   #10
HangFire83

Cabela's all the way. Helped build the one here in Dundee MI. My dad was the ops manager at the time and I got to help with the moving in of the mounts. Even before my dad started working there (and after he moved on) I have always liked their quality better. There is a funny story about how they aquired the land to build on.

Jeff Cooper.
Old May 1, 2006, 04:10 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

We don't have a Cabella's (though I've ordered a few times from them catalog over the years), but sounds like I'd LOVE a Cabella's retail store. BassPro is so-so - cool Bisons and Elk & stuff, but not a lot of shooting/reloading gear. Sportsman's Warehouse is much better for shooting gear, about the same on hunting gear. Academy usually has the best prices, even better than Walmart.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:49 PM   #12
stellarpod

FirstFreedom:

Judging by your location, I'd say you must be from the great State of Oklahoma?

stellarpod
Old May 2, 2006, 05:25 PM   #13
popsnoob

I have a Bass Pro 30 min away, and I love it. That being said, I believe Cabela's has much better quality on their own products versus Redhead from Bass Pro. I have also been to the Cabela's in Buda, Texas and liked it more than Bass Pro. Its heaven in both places, but Cabela's gets my vote. -pops
Old May 2, 2006, 05:31 PM   #14
orionengnr

I have both here

and have been to both, and like both.

Bass Pro has an indoor range, less than 10 miles from my house.

Guess which one gets my vote.
Old June 7, 2006, 12:58 AM   #15
Limeyfellow

Bass Pro is okay. We have one in Concord, NC aboiut 40 miles away that I did buy a pair of silvis 8'' mohican boots. Really comfy buggers on my feet and not found another store in the area that keeps silvis. Bought a new compass there too. Their stock though doesn't compare to Cabelas for me, even if my closest one is on the WV/Oh border so I only been once.

The new Gander Mountain store opens 5 miles away later this month so I will have to look into there. Its really the first competition in this area that Bass Pro has had in well over a decade.
Old June 7, 2006, 04:57 AM   #16
BigO01

Bass , as it has been said is more of a fishing store than hunting , the one nearest to me has NO reloading stuff at all anymore and I was told as a company they are getting out of reloading . It seems they are well on their way of getting away from shooting "ammo aisle has less and less every time I'm there" and heck maybe hunting will be next on the list .

It seems it is turning more into a Yuppie hangout every time I go there .

If you like boats , knickknacks , and overpriced clothes with wildlife prints all over them well then Bass Pro is the store for you .
Old June 7, 2006, 07:33 AM   #17
Vic303

Cabelas.
Better selection. Better quality. Friendlier staff. Better food. Better displays of wildlife & aquariums. Bargain Cave.
Old June 7, 2006, 09:45 AM   #18
mikejonestkd

bass pro, cabelas, and gander

All three can have great deals at different times and all three can be overpriced too. It all depends on what you are looking for and what is on sale.

Cabelas and Bass pro look great and are chock full of STUFF....

Gander is definetly second tier to the first two. However I usually end up at gander more often, because I know they tend to have exactly what I am looking for.

If there is a bass pro shop or a cabelas near you it is worth the trip just to see everything that they offer, even just to window shop.
Old June 7, 2006, 02:01 PM   #19
HangFire83

+1 Bargain cave

Jeff Cooper.
Old June 8, 2006, 11:57 AM   #20
KMBRTAC45

Cabela's

Glad to hear all the positive posts about Cabela's. There will be one opening up here in the Phoenix,Az. area at the end of July(August 18th is the grand opening) and I am lookig forward to spending the first weekend there.

Freedoms precious metals:Gold, Silver & Lead

Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS
Old June 8, 2006, 12:15 PM   #21
mtnbkr

Cabelas is my choice, but the nearest one is 4hrs away. Bass Pro Shop is a distant second for just about everything, but there are two within 3hrs of me and one of those is right on my route to see friends in Virginia Beach. Gander Mtn is a very distant third. However, it's a mere hour away and I pass it frequently when traveling south out of NoVa. I stop about a third of the time.

If Cabelas was within two hours of me, I'd never go to the other two.

Chris
Old June 8, 2006, 12:31 PM   #22
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBRTAC45
Glad to hear all the positive posts about Cabela's. There will be one opening up here in the Phoenix,Az. area at the end of July(August 18th is the grand opening) and I am lookig forward to spending the first weekend there.
Yes! I can't wait. It work and live fairly close to the Phoenix location.
Maybe today at lunch I'll drive by there and shoot a picture of the progress for you guys.

They are also building a Bass Pro Shop in Tempe, Az.
"store could start in February 2006, with a tentative opening date of December, 2006."
"South of Loop 202 and east of Loop 101, between Dobson and Alma School in northwest Mesa"
"Bass Pro Shops' destination retail locations attract more than 75 million people annually, with an average of three million per store"
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=94&storeID=55

I heve never been to either, but have purchased a few times from Cabelas and once from Bass Pro Shop. I know I will spend my time at the Cabelas, its going to be a 10 drive from my house or work, I could easily hit it to or from work. Its going to be grrrrreat!

Edit:

Last edited by westphoenix; June 8, 2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 10, 2006, 05:40 PM   #23
jakerudy

I live 1 hour from the original and largest Bass Pro in Springfield, MO and have seen it change from a hunting & fishing store to mall. The golf and jewelry sections are larger than the reloading section. I have visited the Cabela's in KC and in Minnesota and very much prefer them to Bass Pro.
Old June 25, 2006, 10:17 PM   #24
Clayfish

Cabela's for hunting and shooting.

Basspro for fishing.
Old June 26, 2006, 12:33 AM   #25
fmjgordo

I guess I'm gonna have it made soon. There suppose to be building one of each within 45 min of me in NW Indiana.

Stimulate the economy, buy a gun.