The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2006, 08:33 PM   #1
RWR

W&C Scott & son side by side, ID Help?

My earlier post was not clear even to me - I need your knowledge in helping me determing what I've had for 35 years - It's a W & C Scott & Son 12 gauge side -by, It states W & C Scott & Son makers & patenters 10 Gt CasleStreet Regent Circus London. (That's what it says on the rib), I has cyrstal cocking indicators, dual tiggers and extensive engraving.
, walnut stock. I've had it for years as a result of a car trade while in the Army. This gun is old and I want to find out more about its vintage so I can sell it,, Thanks for any help or advice.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
RJay

I can give you a little information. Condensed version. The history of WC Scott and Son Starts in 1841 in Birmington. Thur the years various sons joined the firm and as the business grew they moved to various locations. In 1865 he patented cocking indicators, ( he had a number of patents ) In 1871 they moved to 10 Great Castle St, Regents Circus ( now Piccadilly). He was a master gunsmith and gun maker and well throught of. The locks he designed were used by Holland and Holland among others. Many of his guns were sold under other makers names. They were high end items. In 1897 He took over Richard Ellis and Son and then merged with P. Webley and Son and together they became Webley and Scott ( yes, that Webley and Scott ) So, your gun was made between 1871 and 1897, Value, I'm not qualified nor am I about to try and place a value on your shotgun. Its not worth much, maybe no more that 5 to 10 thousand. Thats about 4 pages of history compiled into several pargraphs. Best I can do , good luck
Old May 11, 2006, 03:14 PM   #3
RWR

WC Scott & Son side-by

RJay, Thanks loads for the info on the WC SCott & Son that I have - you've given me some good info to hold a sensible conversation on what I'm trying to sell - Do you know where I can advertise it nationally?

Thanks again for the super info
Old May 12, 2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

FWIW, I looked through a couple issues of Shooting Sportsman and Upland Almanac, both of which cater to high end wingshooters. There were a few W&C Scotts listed for sale in the ads. Prices on these ran from $2500-4000. Conditions were described as from like new to excellent.

HTH....
Old June 4, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5
bswiv

More info please....

I'm guessing I have much the same firearm as RWR......?

What I have is a double barrel shotgun marked "W. & C. Scott & Son Makers and Patentees. London" on the rib. Serial # is in the low 5000.

It's got exposed hammers and obviously had a lot of attention to the adornment as there is engraving even on the screw heads. The checkering is still visible but this gun has seen a lot of use and it's now mostly smooth.

It also seems to me that the action is a bit loose when it's closed. Everything still seems to work but you can bet I have not stuck a shell in it and pulled the trigger out of respect for it's age and the potential that it might fail.

I always assumed it was of little value. Am I wrong?
Old June 4, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6
johnbt

Last year's Blue Book of Gun Values says "W.C. Scott also also manufactured many hammer guns that vary in price from $250 to $2,500 depending on grade and condition."

Also: Scott, and Webley & Scott made approx. 150,000 double guns in 157 years.

Having typed all that, the Blue Book continues, "In 1979 Webley & Scott ceased manufacture of all firearms. A new company, W. & C. Scott, was formed in 1980 utilizing mostly employees of Webley & Scott. Production decreased in 1985 and ceased in 1991."

Without an appraisal of some sort, or finding a matching pic and description on the net, it'll be hard to tell what you have and what it's worth. High end or low end, it's a nice shotgun with a well respected name on it.

John
Old June 4, 2006, 12:38 PM   #7
bswiv

Can I email you pictures?
Old June 13, 2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Keith Bunch

w & c scott & son double barrel muzzleloader shotgun

I have a double barrel muzzle loader hammer type gun that I would like information on if any can help me. Everything looks original on it except the left cap holder looks to have been replaced. It belonged to a Surry County VA farmer by the name of John Harris Lane in the mid to late 1800s. ?The ID of the barrels measure right under a modern day 16 gauge. does not look to have ever been touched with steel wool or anything. Has some surface rust but hammers and triggers seem to still be in good working condition. Has the original ram rod. Any information would be very much appreciated. My email is [email protected].
Thanks
Keith