The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
howard bleach

Moving! Most gun-friendly states?

Hello. I'm new to this forum, thank you for having me.

I'm an avid recreational shooter living in Tennessee. I go to the range at least three times a week and currently have a concealed carry permit pending. My wife wants to move to California, and I wanted to know if anyone knew any of the specifics about gun laws, as well as the general attitude about guns in the SoCal area. I'm aware that California has a very gun-grabby reputation, but I've also heard the laws are far more gun-friendly than in New York.
Old June 19, 2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Maser

All depends on the area. The San Francisco area is not too gun friendly, but in the central valley area where I live there's lots of gun friendly people. The laws here aren't too bad. Still better than Canada or UK gun laws. Only thing that sucks is you can't have any post ban detachable mags over 10 rounds.
Old June 19, 2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Chaingunner

If you REALLY like guns and the 2nd ammendment in general, you'll stay out of the Soviet Republic...by which I mean CA.

Although it's true that once you're out of the Bay Area, people's attitudes improve, you should keep in mind that you're not going to find any non-butchered AKs, M16s, or variants of the same, or any hicap magazines, at least, not in the local shop. Also, if you're into NFA toys, you'll probably never be able to buy any here...

Other than that, the scenery here IS nice :\ ....

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old June 19, 2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

California is terribly expensive when it comes to housing and gas. You better be affluent to live there.

A $150K house in TX costs $500K around San Diego.

Not my business, but unless you have a solid job reason for going there, if you want out of Tenn., there are better gun friendly places.
Old June 19, 2006, 07:52 PM   #5
roy reali

Re:howardbleach

California is bad enough now. If Arnold looses in November, it will get worse. I suppose flintlocks are fun to shoot.
Old June 19, 2006, 07:54 PM   #6
howard bleach

Glenn - thanks for the advice. I know all about how expensive it is, but unfortunately, my wife's family is there and so is her work. I love the south and wouldn't leave it if it were 100% up to me.

Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on good places to relocate would also be appreciated. As far as how much property we're looking for, let's put it this way - I wanna be able to throw a ball and not hit anything. We're looking to mortgage a house. Am I dreaming the impossible dream?

Interesting about the strict gun laws in SF - I'd have thought the home of Harry Callahan would be an arms bonanza! I've been there many times and the weather would normally be enough to convince me, but the cost of living and absurd gun laws are certainly dealbreakers for me.
Old June 19, 2006, 07:58 PM   #7
rich52us

Florida

seems to be the most gun friendly state.
Old June 19, 2006, 08:20 PM   #8
musher

If by florida you mean Alaska, then I agree.

CCW--with or without a permit, your choice
Open carry--sure, you betcha
Machine guns--cool!
Destructive devices--sure, we got lots of room
Silencers--sure

AW's, .50's, pocket rockets, SNS, and all the other "guns of choice" are simply issues of style here.

of course, the climate may be a "little" more challenging than florida. Although, I should point out that it's been a loooong time since a hurricane (cyclone) hit Alaska.
Old June 19, 2006, 10:39 PM   #9
Twycross

Idaho is pretty good as far as gun laws go. Class III, shall-issue, open carry, the works. If we could get AK-style CCW, and remove a couple of laws regarding minors, I'd say we would have a good shot at being the best in the union.

If you're into hunting/fishing/camping, we got a lot of wilderness.
Old June 20, 2006, 12:16 AM   #10
Chaingunner

If you absolutely MUST move to CA, I suggest trying to find a home in the northern part of the state. I say this because the weather tends to be more agreeable than it is further south (unless you like hot, dry summers and cold, dry winters, anyway), property seems to be a bit cheaper, the scenery is (in my opinion anyway) nicer, and there are fewer people, which means more room between you and your neighbors.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old June 20, 2006, 01:16 AM   #11
choochboost

Post that question here: www.calguns.net
Old June 20, 2006, 07:06 AM   #12
DunedinDragon

Quote:
I'm an avid recreational shooter living in Tennessee. I go to the range at least three times a week and currently have a concealed carry permit pending. My wife wants to move to California
Gee...that's kinda like saying, "I love the water, boating, fishing, anything to do with being in and around H2O. My wife wants to move to the Sahara.

Maybe try a compromise with her, like Arizona. Seems to be pretty gun-friendly and as long as you aren't totally embarrassed to be from the same state as John McCain, it would probably be okay. I'd suggest the north part of the state though..more like Tennessee...
Old June 20, 2006, 08:05 AM   #13
skiro98

Looking for a gun friendly state??

....guess I wont be seeing you up HERE anytime soon....

Massachusetts. :barf:

Steve
Old June 20, 2006, 10:57 AM   #14
mvpel

The Free State Project is working to recruit 20,000 liberty-loving activists to move to New Hampshire to help protect and reinforce this state's centuries-old traditions of individual liberty and personal responsibility. Check it out: http://www.freestateproject.org/

Shall-issue CCW, no waiting period for purchase, Class III, no personal income tax, no sales tax, housing and land prices still pretty reasonable...
1 Samuel 13:19
Old June 20, 2006, 11:20 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

Yes, Alaska would be the most gun-friendly, but nearly any reasonable assessment.

But also scoring high would be Arizona, Vermont, Florida, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, and a few others.

A third tier would include Texas and most other southern states, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire.

A fourth tier would include a lot of midwestern states and northern states - middle of the road states like KS, NE, UT, ND, SD, WA, OR, GA, ME, MI,

A fifth tier would include states with some abridgements of rights, such as Wisconsin, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, & Missouri.

A sixth tier would include states with moderate to heavy infringements of rights, including California, Connecticut, Illinois, & New York.

The seventh/bottom tier would include those states where being a gun owner would appear to suckle gonads, including New Jersey, Massachussetts, Maryland, & Hawaii.
Old June 20, 2006, 11:28 AM   #16
leadcounsel

Why would you want to live in CA?

I'll tell you why not...

No middle class. You're either dirt poor and struggling, "think" you're middle class because you have a job and a $2000 mortgage on a shoebox, or fabulously rich and detached from the real world;

It's probably second to none in the WORST gun rights for citizens... so many things legal everywhere else are not CA approved;

Massive debt problems for the state, which is overburdened with illegals and poor which drag down the state economy into the toilet.

Massive overcrowding -- An entire 1/5th of the US population lives there!

Earthquakes, mudslides, sinkholes and massive forest fires -- 'nuff said;

The attitude of Californias drive me NUTS! I can't think of a worst attitude in general than people for CA, and I can't think of a worse place to raise a family.

Colorado, while having it's share of forest fires, is a great place to live in general. And we have pretty gun friendly laws except in Denver, which bans assault rifles and hi cap magazines (I am hoping this is going to end soon).
Old June 20, 2006, 12:03 PM   #17
roy reali

Any Expereince Here?

I know this will seem to be off topic. This will even seem to be in the wrong forum heading. But does anyone have any time spent with flintlock firearms? Are they as difficult to operate as they seem? Arnold is not a shoe-in to win. So I want to prepare for the worse.
Old June 20, 2006, 12:35 PM   #18
Huntergirl

Why not Nevada? That would be close enough for your wife to see her family and you to enjoy your firearms.
Old June 20, 2006, 02:59 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

I thought that Denver just won its case to continue its ban?

If you have to live in California because of job and family - then you have to. I've read of friendly counties as posted above - try for them.
Old June 20, 2006, 03:03 PM   #20
Don H

FirstFreedom,

Just out of curiosity, why did you put Utah in the fourth tier?
Old June 20, 2006, 03:47 PM   #21
gb_in_ga

Likewise, why is Georgia in the fourth tier? According to the Brady Bunch, we are just a hair away from a good, solid "F". Shall Issue CCW (granted, it would be better if we had open carry and universal carry, but...), no CCW testing (range qualification or written), no purchase waiting period, no local jurisdiction overrides -- what's not to like?
Old June 20, 2006, 04:09 PM   #22
Harley Quinn

What part of CA are you looking at?

It is a big state.

HQ
Old June 20, 2006, 07:11 PM   #23
Omega blood

I really wish people would read and absorb a post before posting.

As some one who has live all my life in So.Cal. All I have to say there is no place like home.
Gun laws are tolerable to absurd and restrictive. Gun friendliness, as far as gun friendly people, it depends on who you talk to.
The smog! Depending on where exactly you live summer temps can be in the hi 90s to the low 100s. Winter temps in the 60s. Hot dry summers and wet/rainy winters. If it rains. The mudslides comment is over blown. It depends on where you live. Sinkholes are rare. Forest and brush fires are a real danger.
However you do have the beach about an hour away and the mountains (snow, skiing, fishing and hunting) another hour or two away.
The cost of housing and how long it takes you to get to work should also be a factor. New housing is being built all the time. Starting cost (depending on where and what) is 350 to 450 thousand. That’s new if you can find one close to where you will be living. Established houses will cost minimum 500-600 thousand. If you pick one of the more “inexpensive” houses expect to sit in traffic and have a 1.5+ hour commute to and from work. Apartments are in the high 900-dollar range for a sing bedroom.
As was stated before there is no middle class. Only affluent, struggling and dirt poor and living in someone else’s house.
I can almost guarantee you if you do move here you will move again with in 2 years. It will be a culture shock. And did I mention the smog?
Old June 20, 2006, 08:25 PM   #24
Harley Quinn

Southern Ca

I guess So CA is ok for some of you but omega blood if you do live here you would know that Bakersfield is considered So CA.
Someone mentions San Diego, another mentions San Francisco. They are 8 hours apart on a good day.
If you move to Needles it will be in the South area also. There is a location called NorCal but it is by Riverside. Which is in Southern CA.

Edit: NORCO, thank you type O. NorCal is a Mexican gang out of NorCal Funny though it is Bakersfield, hey it is north of L.A.

So if you can be more specific on your location it would be helpful.

You mention, wife's job is there, and family? Where do they live? So CA?

So how about a County if nothing else. This is funny.

I've been here since 1941, born in Los Angeles, live in Sacramento area, now.

HQ

Last edited by Harley Quinn; June 21, 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old June 20, 2006, 10:38 PM   #25
choochboost

Quote:
There is a location called NorCal but it is by Riverside. Which is in Southern CA.
You mean Norco?