The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 24, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Hedley

Revelation in .222?

I was going through my father's gun safe over Thanksgiving and came across an odd ball amongst a dozen or so beautiful trap and skeet guns. It's a Western Auto .222 Revelation. It has a cheap looking birch or beech stock, a cheap stamped trigger guard and mag release, detach mag, and a side mount scope rail. It's in perfect shape, but I've only found one online, pictured below. It is in perfect shape, but has a hair trigger that feels under a pound with about a millimeter of pull.

I asked him where it came from and he got noticeably disgusted. He told me that in the late 60's, he was taken to the hospital for a rupted appendix by a Harris County LEO who noticed his (my grandfather's) High-Power sitting in his room. During the ride, he asked my father if he was willing to trade it for a deer rifle. My father declined, but after he was dropped off at the ER, the officer drove back to my dad's appartment and convinced his roomate that he and my father had a deal worked out. Long story short, my father returned a few days later to find, what he calls, a "damn girl's rifle" in place of his beloved .45. I don't think he's ever shot it.

What's the story with Western Auto? Did they produce guns for companies like Savage, Stevens, and Springfield or did the gun manufacturers make cheaper line-ups for Western Auto under different names like Revelation?

I've been looking at this chart for a while, and it would appear that this rifle was made by Stevens. I have an old Stevens .22 that has an almost identical stock, complete with the squarish pistol grip. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone ever shot this rifle?
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....nce-index.html

It's in great shape, and I thought it might make a fun plinker, but is it worth throwing a scope on it?

Last edited by Hedley; November 24, 2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old November 25, 2006, 01:39 AM   #2
Scorch

Western Auto is a chain store that sold guns for many years. They would have the manufacturers mark them with the Western Auto name and model number. Usually, these are the same gun the manufacturer sold under their own name. So, if you have a Stevens that looks just like it, it probably is just like it except fot the store name and model number.
Old November 25, 2006, 03:55 AM   #3
Crosshair

So did they ever find the body of the roommate?

OK, getting serious now. To me, it looks like a Savage 340. The 340 uses a single lug locking system and detachable magazine. Open the action and look at the bolt. There should be only one locking lug. If there is, then I am 99% sure it is a 340. The side scope mount also suggests that it is a 340 looking at the hole spacing. (That you can barely make out in the photo.) Hope this helps.
Old November 25, 2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The rifle is indeed a Savage 340 with Revelation trademark for Western Auto.
It isn't fancy but it will likely shoot pretty well.
Old November 25, 2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Hedley

Hey thanks guys. Based on this exploded view, it is indeed a Savage 340.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/explodedviews/Savage_340.htm
Old November 25, 2006, 03:16 PM   #6
RJay

Just curious, what kind of High Power shoots .45 ACP??
Old November 25, 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Hedley

Quote:
Just curious, what kind of High Power shoots .45 ACP??
Sorry, typo on my behalf. Just saw your post and called my father. It was a Colt.