The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 8, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
castnblast

Tissue damage... (Graphic Pics) Figured the camara thing out...22-250 on white tail

Here's the pix. I think you'll all agree...No marginal damage here...

Last edited by JohnKSa; January 21, 2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Warning for those with weak stomachs. ;) JohnKSa
Old January 8, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
castnblast

another pix

Here's the bullet...
Old January 8, 2007, 12:43 PM   #3
castnblast

Here's the tissue damage. Pretty impressive. This bullet traveled through 2 shoulder blades, & ribs. It was a 55 gr. Sierra Boat-tail Spire Point. I think it's safe to say the damage from this 22-250 is anything but marginal for killing a deer. . This deer was cockroached...Literally. Stood up on his hind legs, and flipped over on his back w/ antlers stuck in the ground. No chasing. 147 yd shot direct into the shoulder.
Old January 8, 2007, 06:26 PM   #4
swampdog

I see you went with the photobucket option. Good choice and I'm glad you figured it out.

I mostly hunt in extremely heavy cover. I'll take shoulder shots, too. It ruins some meat, but they don't go far. My .270 tears them up pretty good, but it's better than loosing one.

Those photos are impressive. It's hard to believe a 55gr bullet can do that much damage.

Good job.
Old January 8, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
BIGR

Small bullet traveling fast.....does lots of damage...I have seen ground hogs messed up bad, missing teeth and parts from head shots...unreal
Old January 8, 2007, 10:02 PM   #6
SavageSniper

Good job Cast. Great things come in small packages I really like smaller caliber rifles. I can shoot alot more rounds for the money and alot less punishment to my shoulder. With the big doggie deer around here, they do the job just fine.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:17 AM   #7
castnblast

Thanks for the help swampdog. I didn't know squat about the photo bucket, but it was very easy to use. Thanks for the info!

Also, on another note, notice the bullet is still intact in the shoulder... This is what happens w/ the right bullet.
Old January 10, 2007, 02:00 AM   #8
Scorch

Yes, the 22-250 will blow them apart pretty good! I have never shot a deer with mine, but a friend shot a deer years back with his 22-250 and had a one shot, nose to toes, drop on the spot kill at over 300 yds.
Old January 12, 2007, 09:09 AM   #9
UniversalFrost

Nice pix of the aftermath. Very impressive for a 22-250. I don't doubt the effectiveness on smaller southern deer, but up north we get some big 200+ pounders that a .22 caliber just wouldn't cut it. Plus anything .223 and under is illegal for deer.

Nice deer though.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 12, 2007, 12:39 PM   #10
castnblast

I agree... That's what my 7mm rem mag is for! I got this gun due to shoulder problems...(rotator cup...) but anyway, It's been fun to play with, and I am very impressed with the results. Of course, using the right bullet has a lot to do with it. You wouldn't get these results w/ a V-Max, and that's not what they are designed for...W/ this caliber, bullet choice is everything, and shot placement as well...this gun has been a lot of fun, and I'm really impressed w/ the accuracy of this Howa 1500...
Old January 12, 2007, 03:11 PM   #11
zeisloft

Universalfrost, not trying to be a smart ass, just an honest question: When you say “anything .223 and under is illegal for deer” are you saying any bullet with a diameter smaller than .223 inch is illegal or any caliber below .223 Rem is illegal? My question being based on the fact that the old Hornet bullets were .223, but most all other 22 caliber bullets are .224, so would a .22-250 be legal “up north”?
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader

Last edited by zeisloft; January 12, 2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Old January 12, 2007, 03:25 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

I am saying that just about everything under .243 and some lethargic calibers like 44-40 are illegal to use on deer in certain states. You can look it up on the GFP website for South Dakota if you think I am making this up. They list minimum calibers you can use and some of the older ones like 44-40 and .30 m1 carbine that can't be used.

I agree with castnblast on the issue of shot placement. many deer all over the states have been "poached" with a .22lr to the head and I am not knocking the .22-250 ( I have one and it really works them yote's over), but unless you get a heart shot with it or a good head/neck shot, the big mulies and white tails up here will go a good ways until they realize they are dead. Before they outlawed .30 m1 carbine for deer up here, my dad was using his (now mine) m1 carbine to shoot deer and loved it for its compact size, yet great accuracy out to about 200 yards. Sure the gun took plenty of deer before the State GFP deemed it incapable, but they are mainly concerned with the average yahoo who can't hit a pie plate at 50 yards going out and trying to "cheap it" with a " do all" gun chambered in a "varmint" round.

Also for the issue with the shoulder you should really look into a Knoxx stock for your 7MM mag. I originally won a stock for my mossberg 500 and was sold on it. I then put a KNOXX stock on a .243 for my wife and it feels like I am shooting my .218 BEE. I then went for one on a .300 Weatherby Mag and it helped to reduce the kick down to feeling like a .243, then I went and added a muzzle brake and it feels like I am shooting my m4 in .223. Heck, even my wife who is 5'7" and 120lbs can shoot the .300 Weatherby Mag with no problems. My next gun to have a Knoxx stock is a Ruger 77 MKII in .338 Win Mag I just got from Wildalaska (still at his shop gettting a muzzle brake installed). This combo should put the recoil down to a .308 or .270 range.

I would really recommend it for persons with shoulder issues.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 13, 2007, 06:26 AM   #13
Dogjaw

In Michigan, the only rimfires are illegal for deer. I happen to use a 22-250, minus the 22 (I shoot a 250 Savage, which is the case used in a 22-250).
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old January 21, 2007, 11:21 AM   #14
jaymag

Great pics!!

Nobody better tell me a 22-250 or any small hot rod bullet is to small for deer.These screamers leave wicked damage.I bet if you hit a bear with a well placed shot, he would have a bad day.I will take my 30-06 180GR. over that.but Thanks for the pics!
Old January 21, 2007, 04:12 PM   #15
Swiss Shooter

Location: Where shooting is subsidized and soldiers bring their guns home.
Impressive pictures. I never realized those small cals could do such huge damage.
Old January 22, 2007, 02:31 PM   #16
castnblast

As stated before, I used to think they were too small...till I saw the damage one did from a guy that I've hunted w/ for the past 10 years...He has yet to loose a deer with his, and he shoots an average of 3 deer per year, and countless hogs...so do the math. When I discussed my shoulder problems he said, put the cannon away, and get a 22-250. Having been sold on what I saw his do, I bought one. Because the recoil is so light, there is just no danger of flinching. That is why you can shoot one so precise. As the pix show, the damage is enormous. I hope to shoot a hog soon and post pix of it. The shot to the shoulder really cuts down on the chase. It tends to render the shoulders useless, and makes running very difficult...per his advice. Lung shots behind the shoulder that are not quartering away do generally result in a short trail, but the exit wound...yes I said exit wound...leaves a great blood trail. Per his advice, my shots were on the shoulders w/ all 3 deer this season...(I got a doe on Friday...) That doe went in a circle about 10 yds. The shoulders looked like the ones in the pix above. The bullet exited this time and I did not recover it. I didn't take pix because it was raining too much to take out he camera. But I think my point was made. I'm going hog hunting this weekend (I think) and hopefully will have pix to share. I may go for a head shot because I don't want to ruin meat, but I may go for a shoulder just to prove the point. The range, rest, and animal movement will determine where that shot is placed.

I hope everyone had a great season!
Old January 23, 2007, 09:13 PM   #17
Jseime

Where i am from (saskatchewan) the legal minimum is set at .23 caliber so they completely cut out all .223-.22-250 the whole works. Essentially 6mm is as small as you can go.
Old January 24, 2007, 12:42 AM   #18
stuckon308

This year I was all set to use the .308 when the scope went all screwy the day before opening. So I took out the old .22-250. Second day I got my buck.The bullet passed through the spinal column and it was out for the count before I could walk up to it. I know, I know I shot the spine..... but I didn't have a choice. Long story. Anyway, .22-250 works, but next year my new .308 will be by my side.
Old January 24, 2007, 11:05 AM   #19
castnblast

This would not be my gun of choice on a saskachewan deer. They are 2-3x the size of these S. Tx deer. I do believe a properly placed bullet would still do the job, but on a 300lb deer, that is just too big imo...as stated before...my choice for that hunt would be the trusty ole' 7mm mag.
Old April 19, 2007, 05:00 PM   #20
castnblast

penetration of 22-250 on deer...
Old April 19, 2007, 05:27 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

I *still* think a .22-250 with a 1 in 9 twist and 68-75 grain sp bullet would be the ultimate light recoil, flat-shootin', whitetail killin' machine. But who's gonna pay for a custom bbl like that when a .243 does the same thing for less?
Old April 21, 2007, 10:04 AM   #22
castnblast

I agreee...I was told there is a guy up in NM. that will make a 1 in 9 for this gun for around 175. I'll post who he is as soon as I get the contact info, and see if anyone is aware. I'm not shooting anything lighter than a 55, so I'm looking for a 1 in 9. I'd like to shoot a 70...
Old April 23, 2007, 03:16 AM   #23
Jseime

Quote:
I do believe a properly placed bullet would still do the job, but on a 300lb deer, that is just too big imo...as stated before...my choice for that hunt would be the trusty ole' 7mm mag.
Your probably right that it would work with a well placed shot but you are also right that a 7mm mag is a better idea. Sometimes these mulies that we have around here just stand and watch you at 50 yards and they are big but they sure can be dumb.

I like my .270 it gives full penetration every time i squeeze the trigger. Id like to take a .22-250 and go after small white-tails in wide open country.

This thread is a good example of using a gun that is well suited to its purpose.
Old April 23, 2007, 10:49 AM   #24
fisherman66

Quote:
This thread is a good example of using a gun that is well suited to its purpose.
I believe the construction of the bullet is very important when choosing a smaller caliber like a 22. I've had 7mm express (280) ballistic tips do funny things when encountering bone. The funny things remind me of the JFK assasination bullet trajectory (sorry if that's a metaphor in poor taste). I would want a good nosler or A frame bullet for a 22 cal mid class hunting rig. I've about given up on BTs for even larger calibers.
Old April 23, 2007, 11:24 AM   #25
mikejonestkd

I have had very good success with ballistic tips, and the similar winchester CT silvertips, and the rem accutips on deer sized game ( in .243. 7mm-08, and .308 win ), but then again I haven't had to punch them through bone like you have - we take broadside shots probably 95% of the time. We have yet to recover a bullet from probably 15-20 deer shot with any of the above listed bullets.

I agree that a fairly tough bullet should be used in a smaller caliber like a .22-250. the nosler partition in 60 gr would be great for broadside shots at small to medium sized deer, and as the photos show, it does a decent job!!!

Still, for me at least the .243 is about the mimumim that I am comfortable with for deer. It has more margin of error, bigger bullets, and hits harder.