The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 18, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1
kentucky_smith

Jim Zumbo screws up

Subscription cancelled. Nasty letter written and cc'd to NRA and GOA.

Quote:
Jim Zumbo just alienates half his readership

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2...t_rifles_.html

Quote:
Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:05 AM   #2
gdvan01

Quote:
I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles.
What a ma-roon...

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old February 18, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

He seems to have gotten a response or two...
Old February 18, 2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Hardtarget

When the technology was first available, didn't many governments view guns with rifled barrels as terrorist weapons? There just were no Gun Magazines to write about it back then. I see what he's talking about...but...things change. Another hundred years things will have changed several times again.
I like my hunting guns to have that traditional look. I like the AR and AK rifles too. Thing is, all my guns are sporting guns. I've never been in any combat so when I shoot, its some kind of sport.
Mark.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Maser

You should see what the members of ar15.com are saying. I already posted in Zumbo's blog. Can't believe a gun collector and pro-hunter would have the nerve to say what he did.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:55 AM   #6
DonR101395

He's gotten a few comment from members here as well
Old February 18, 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
robc

I shot an e-mail off to Outdoor Life right away, but I can't find a way to e-mail Remington. There should be a customer relations/public relations address. Where is it? Anyway, anyone who feels strongly about this should contact Remington (corporate # is 336-548-8700). I'm done with them until they're done with him.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:06 AM   #8
ferg

Yeah, I emailed all the available contacts on the Outdoor Life page, too. Maybe they'll get the idea
Old February 18, 2007, 05:18 AM   #9
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumbo
Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them....
Mr Zumbo seems to be the guilty party lumping hunters as terrorists....these comments will haunt and mark him as the Jane Fonda of Gun writers.

Unfortunately there are many more just like him, a few years ago someone from the NRA spoke to the Outdoor Writers convention and was chastised by their group.
Old February 18, 2007, 05:18 AM   #10
blume357

the problem has always been lumping various gun

rights with hunting. the two have nothing in common. There is nothing in our bill of rights that says you have a right to hunt.
Old February 18, 2007, 06:32 AM   #11
Frenchy

Just another "Fudd" attack...When are these clowns gonna getta clue.
Old February 18, 2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Bud Helms

Most hunters are not shooters and know next to nothing about their firearms beyond the caption in the sales brochure and what the guy behind the counter told them. Oh, yeah, don't forget what they read in Guns and Ammo mag last year. Then, get a hunter into a conversation about the 2nd, but be prepared. Ignorance abounds.
Old February 18, 2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Derby FALs

Old February 18, 2007, 10:06 AM   #14
Slugthrower

IS THAT A SNIPER RIFLE IN HIS HANDS?!?!?!?!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Runnnnnnn!!!
Old February 18, 2007, 10:25 AM   #15
aerod1

Jim Zumbo does not speak for me. I sent an email to Outdoor Life and am going to send one to Remington. I told them I am boycotting them for their anti 2A views as expressed by Jim Zumbo.
I am a hunter but I believe hunters are a BIG thorn in the side of the Second Amendment. A lot of hunters feel as long as they have their shotgun for bird hunting and a deer rifle for hunting larger game, there is no need for anything else such as handguns and semi auto defense rifles. This is NONSENSE!!
Please write ODL and Remington to voice your concerns.

Jim
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 18, 2007, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Please write ODL and Remington to voice your concerns.
I sent Outdoor Life and Remington emails this morning and wrote letters to both that will go out tomorrow.

This is all I could find for contact info for Remington. If anyone has better contact info, please post it.

http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...5sJnBfcGFnZT0x
Old February 18, 2007, 11:18 AM   #17
DesertShooter

Dumbo Zumbo has the "right" to say whatever he wants! What bothers me, however, is that this is a clear-cut example of how the anti-gun groups have been able to "demonize" the so-called "assault-type" firearms. In doing so, they have "divided and conquered" within the gun owning "community".

You can bet your bottom dollar that hunters like Zumbo will cry "Foul!" if or WHEN their center-fire, bolt-action, 'scoped hunting rifles are classified as being "sniper rifles"!

Add to that, there doesn't seem to be ANY firearm experts within the ranks of our elected government representatives/lawmakers. I've often heard the so-called "assault rifles" being called "military styled"....and CORRECTLY so! BUT, without any dispute, ALL firearms have their "roots" within the military....therefore, ALL firearms (yep, even .22 bolt-action rifles and flintlocks) are "military styled"!

The gun-owning "community" needs to wake up and realize the deceptions that have been so successful by the anti-gun groups! It will be yet another thing to "educate" our elected representatives in government! Of course, those lawmakers would LOVE to tax guns and ammo out of existence....and they just may do so before too long! Several tries to impose excessive taxes on ammo have already been brought up (5-cents, 10-cents per ROUND, and a 10,000% federal tax increase on ammo!). Kind of expensive to merely go out "plinking" when a box of 50 rounds of .22LR ammo might set you back $10+!
Old February 18, 2007, 11:44 AM   #18
Silvanus

What an idiot!

Just as stupid as the chief editor of a German hunting magazine ("Wild und Hund") who apologized for an advertisement of "5.11 tactical series" clothes! He apparently got some letters and e-mails from "traditional hunters" who think that "paramilitary" equipment should not be advertised in that magazine
Old February 18, 2007, 12:02 PM   #19
hpg

Dumbo Zumbo just lost another reader......me..............won't renew subscription to magazine either...what a stupid comment he made.............hpg
Old February 18, 2007, 12:17 PM   #20
50 shooter

Feel free to contact his sponsors.

[email protected],
[email protected], [email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
No time for rearranging.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:21 PM   #21
robc

+1 to 50 shooter for doing that legwork. I poked around on Remington for awhile and couldn't find a place to e-mail.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:42 PM   #22
50 shooter

Don't forget to contact the NRA as he writes for Shooting Illustrated.
No time for rearranging.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:57 PM   #23
Trapper L

Millner, CEO with Remington, is already aware of the internet awareness of the Zumbo remarks. Look in the very near future a divorce between Remington and Zumbo. Millner is an AR collector and shooter and is not a happy camper with the remarks. I think Mr Zumbo had better check out his Social Security requirements- his career is over.
FWIW, Outdoor Life and Time Warner both had the opportunity to review the remarks BEFORE publication. Remington did not. So if you are unhappy and don't support the views of Mr Zumbo, I would suggest not doing business with Outdoor Life and Time Warner.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:02 PM   #24
AK103K

You know, while Mr Zumbo stated his feelings, he's not the only one in the gun community to feel this way. I've run into it constantly over the years, at ranges, gun shops, and other places. (I'm a "squirt gunner")

The problem we have is, we are a diverse sport,(I'm using "sport" just to keep it simple) and there is definitely a caste system of sorts. Where we should ALL stand up for any of the other followings of the sport, many dont, and frown on what they deem a threat to the whole, or at least "their" part of the sport. The NRA falls in here too. They obviously pick their battles and cut some of us away if they dont like the odds.

We ALL need to help each other, regardless if our favorite sport is sporting clays or bump firing AK's.

The NRA should also learn the term "NO COMPROMISE", and MEAN it. If they did and proved it, I just might sign back up after 20 years.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:33 PM   #25
s32

Tell his sponsers

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Just copy and paste those email addresses and let them all know how you feel. Anti-gunners like this should not be tolerated.