The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 26, 2007, 07:26 PM   #1
AZGunLover

Where is your carry gun when you shower?

The shower, with the exception of places that are off-limits to firearms, is the only time that my carry gun is not on me or in my immediate control. Even at home I am either wearing my gun or it is within arms reach. It seems to me that the shower is the place that one is most vulnerable while awake at home. I can barely hear my wife yell something to me while I'm showering. I don't think that I would be able to hear someone breaking into my home while the water is running.

Does anyone put their gun on the toilet or sink while showering in the bathroom?

My gun is usually sitting on top of my nightstand in plain view. I was thinking this morning (while showering of course) that if a bad guy broke into my home while I was showering, he could easily gain control of MY weapon and use it against me. I would hate to step out of the bathroom in a towel and be staring down the barrel of my own gun. Any thoughts?
Old March 26, 2007, 07:35 PM   #2
badbob

Glock-On-A-Rope. I stole the idea from WildAlaska's comments in a prior thread.

badbob
Old March 26, 2007, 09:13 PM   #3
NDN-MAN

AZGunLover

I put a shelf in my gun safe. On one side I used a screw in cup hook, to hang a holster.
If it would work put one near your shower. Then hang your pistol and holster from it.
I don't know what your area is like, but you may need to always have your gun handy.
I have seen places that Police won't go into alone. I am in no way running down LEO's.
I am just saying that I know BAD AREAS are out there. And if I was in one I would keep my pistol at hand at all times too.
Old March 26, 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Doug.38PR

When I take a bath/shower I take my gun off with my clothes and leave them in my room. I then go into the bathroom and clean up. Somehow I manage to survive without my .38 Police Revolver hanging over the towel rack in the shower or sitting on the side of the tub. One of these days I'm going to regret it. You know I need to really get some training on how to handle a gun in the shower if ever Norm-...I mean Mrs. Bates decides to come knocking on my door....but then she wouldn't have any reason to fear me. I'm a guy, not Janet Lee.
Old March 26, 2007, 09:35 PM   #5
stephen426

Do you live in a really bad area or have a price on your head? If not, I think you might be going a little over board. I know crinimals attack good areas as well, but thats what good locks and strategically placed guns are for. If I had to carry one on my 24/7 and had to worry about where to put it while I was showering, I think I would move. Secure your home and invest in a good alarm system and guard dog. Worrying about where to place your gun while showering is absurd. I might even suggest a little visit to a shrink.
Old March 26, 2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Ruger4570

Take a quiet bath, skip the noisy shower..
Old March 26, 2007, 10:27 PM   #7
Thunderhawk88

The day I need a weapon with me in the shower is the day I move into a cave way out in the desert. My HD auto is on my nightstand most of the time, well within reach if it is needed.
Old March 26, 2007, 10:52 PM   #8
Dave Haven

Just take your double-barrel Greener 12-ga into the shower with you. Hasn't anyone watched "Big Jake"?
Old March 26, 2007, 10:57 PM   #9
AZGunLover

Cedar police investigate home-invasion rape
Deseret News (Salt Lake City), Nov 6, 2006

CEDAR CITY -- Police are investigating the reported rape of an 18- year-old woman.
Police said the woman was in the shower on Saturday afternoon when she thought she heard a noise in her house.
"Somebody opened her shower curtain as she was getting out of the shower," Cedar City Police Sgt. Jerry Womack said Tuesday. "She allegedly was raped close to the bathroom in her apartment."
Police said the attacker wore a mask and gloves, and the woman could not describe him. Womack said they have little evidence connected to the crime.
Old March 26, 2007, 11:42 PM   #10
Doug.38PR

I'm sorry for what happened to that girl. I hope they catch they guy and shoot him down like a mad dog.

BUT, does this mean she or anyone else should find a shower gun? There is only so much you can do. Your gun shouldn't be an inconvienence. This is silly. Should we stick a gun down our swiming suit when we go swimming in the summer? Should we stick a gun in our gee when we go to karate lessons? Should we find a place to stick a gun when we go to fencing practice? Should we find a place to stick a gun when we go to work out?

I carry WHENEVER I can. But I don't carry when it becomes a handicap.

If you feel you need to keep a gun in the bathroom while you shower, put it on the laboratory. You can get to it quick enough if you get a dog or a good alarm system

Dave Haven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26s4tlxung
Old March 27, 2007, 08:27 AM   #11
Kennedy124

Me and my Glock get nice and soapy together.
Old March 27, 2007, 08:53 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Clenched tightly between my buttocks.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 27, 2007, 09:08 AM   #13
Doug.38PR

I have a feeling this thread's life can be measured in minutes. It bares a striking resemblance to that "where do you put your gun while taking a pooh pooh?" thread on Tactics and Training a few months back
Old March 27, 2007, 09:15 AM   #14
CajunBass

I leave it in my tactical wheelbarrow just outside the shower curtain.

Never know when you'll have to bug out fast!
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 27, 2007, 09:18 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

Glock-on-a-rope comments aside, it's a pretty good question, because mine is out in the living room by the front door. If I was as prudent as I should be, it would be on the back of the toilet, *with the bathroom door locked*, to hopefully give me enough time to get to it. There is nowhere that you're more vulnerable than in the shower.
Old March 27, 2007, 09:24 AM   #16
Samurai

Time to gain a new perspective on the problem...

This isn't a problem of being "properly armed." This is a problem of having sufficient alerts when you are home.

Home security comes in two parts: 1. When an intruder comes, have a system in place where you can hear them coming. 2. When an intruder comes, have enough firepower to put them out of commission.

Here, the young lady neglected part 1. Young women (ok, all of us, really) who are home alone should have an alarm system on their windows and doors, or a reliable watchdog to make noise when an intruder breaks in. When they hear the noise, they should be able to then properly and quickly arm themselves.

So, to answer the original poster's question: Don't get a Glock-on-a-rope (that's funny!). Get an alarm system put on your house, and set the alarm before you go to take a shower. If you hear the alarm go off (and trust me, you WILL hear it), step out of the shower, pick up your weapon, and call the cops. You will be ready for whatever comes your way.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old March 27, 2007, 09:25 AM   #17
rem33

Quote:
Glock-on-a-rope comments aside, it's a pretty good question, because mine is out in the living room
Great reason to buy a couple of more guns. You can have one in several places around the house.
Old March 27, 2007, 10:22 AM   #18
Don P

Soapy

In my daily holster on my daily gun belt straped around my waist so I can wash the daily crud off me and my sidearm all in one place and time. Makes things so much faster this way
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 27, 2007, 12:59 PM   #19
UH1-D Rotorhead

Thank the Lord....

...that I live in a decent enough neighborhood that the last thing on my mind is where do I put my gun when I shower...
Old March 27, 2007, 01:31 PM   #20
kickshot85

Clenched tightly. . .Haaahaaahaa. . .between my . . .Haahaaha. . .BUTTOCKS!!!. . .AAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAA!!!
Old March 27, 2007, 03:15 PM   #21
Coloma

In the shower I carry my "Love Gun", it's the one my wife enjoys the most.
I don't worry about someone breaking in when I'm in the shower, the alarm and dog's will take care of that.
Old March 27, 2007, 03:40 PM   #22
Doug.38PR

omgsh, how much farther is this going to be allowed to go?
Old March 27, 2007, 03:48 PM   #23
Samurai

C'mon, Doug. I think this is a very good subject of conversation. I mean, how many people actually pay any thought to locking their doors and/or turning on a security alarm before going to take a shower? Ok, the whole "Glock-on-a-rope" thing is a little zany, but there are still some good points being made.

Give it a chance...

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old March 27, 2007, 03:57 PM   #24
Rangefinder

Quote:
Cedar police investigate home-invasion rape
Deseret News (Salt Lake City), Nov 6, 2006

CEDAR CITY -- Police are investigating the reported rape of an 18- year-old woman.
Now the really scary part----This is where I live! And I never heard a thing about it till now. The really sad part is that it doesn't surprise me that it never made local news because the local media all seem to have a lovely way of censoring out anything that could make the town appear less than a perfect "white-picket fence, everything's just lovely" community--which it is far from. (I could list many such things the media swept away like a Playboy mag in the confession booth, but it wouldn't be worth the time to type such a long list).

Quote:
...that I live in a decent enough neighborhood that the last thing on my mind is where do I put my gun when I shower...
Ya, I use to think that too--being a quaint little town of 26K (including the university population) and being about 80% mormon. Funny how image and reality don't always parallel.

Back on the topic--fortunately for me, I don't worry about needing a sidearm handy in the shower. I get my showers either first thing in the morning, or last thing at night, so everything as a general rule is still or already locked up tight. There's only one way into my apartment unless you're a double-jointed micro-midget, and I'm an antique weapons practicioner/instructor/collector from hell. There is nowhere that a nasty piece of sharp steel isn't within reach in my house. A handgun would be the last of a would-be invader's worries--fear the scimitar more, it'll hurt a whole lot worse before it's all over (closest reach from the shower).

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Last edited by Rangefinder; March 27, 2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old March 27, 2007, 04:02 PM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I mean, how many people actually pay any thought to locking their doors and/or turning on a security alarm before going to take a shower?"

My doors are always locked when I'm not on the first floor.

Most of the time they're locked then, as well.

My alarm system, a very testy chow-beagle-shepherd mix, is also always on, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread