The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old April 20, 2007, 08:49 AM   #1
yomama

Are things going our way?

Just noticed that even MSN and the Arizona Republic (usually not pro-gun), and even NBC have come out with calls for CCW holders to take their guns everywhere.

I thought this VA event would go the other way, knowing it would be possible to go our way if the nation agreed. The general public appears fed up with these events and are welcoming us.

I say we do this while we can get the legislation to give us back some rights.
Old April 20, 2007, 09:32 AM   #2
applesanity

Too soon to tell, too soon to tell....

Although I think the dozens of "unscientific" polls on every news website that went decidedly pro-gun did shake things up a little. Maybe gunowners are unnaturally proactive with their Internet.

Those crazy redneck hillbilly red-state gun-toting yokels and their high-tech modems. Who woulda thought? Or rather, the main stream media has finally stopped underestimating middle America. D___ straight.

I did find this article on MSNBC Newsweek: Did He Buy the Guns Legally?

FoxNews also did a "scientific" poll about major topics. Scroll to page 9 to see the gun poll. Yes, yes, I know it's FoxNews, so no liberal will believe it. The other polls are pretty interesting too.

Here is one of the questions:

Quote:
30. Do you think tougher gun laws can help stop things like the Virginia Tech
school shooting, or do you think the people who commit these kinds of acts will
always find guns?
SCALE: 1. Tougher laws can help stop acts 2. People will always find guns
3. (Laws help, but still find ways) 4. (Don’t know)

....................Tougher laws.........Always..........(Laws help,
...................can help stop.......find guns...........still find)........(Don’t know)
17-18 Apr 07 ......19%...................71..................7...................3
Gun Owners.........13%...................78..................6...................3
Democrats...........29%...................61.................8....................2
Republicans...........8%...................84..................5...................2
Independents.......20%...................71..................6...................3
Old April 20, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
junkpile

Quote:
Although I think the dozens of "unscientific" polls on every news website that went decidedly pro-gun did shake things up a little. Maybe gunowners are unnaturally proactive with their Internet.
I think definitely so. That people can alert their fellow RKBA-supporters to any sort of poll that would be used against them, and can pro-actively make their voice be heard is evidenced right here on this forum. Whenever I see a poll like that up, I vote.

The power of the gun political crowd, I think, lies in that it's about something. People here mostly talk about guns, and the forum is already prepared whenever something bad happens, so RKBA-supporters can pull together. The NRA isn't just a political organization. The anti-gun crowd, on the other hand, doesn't have anything to talk about on the weekends. It's not a way of life, and were they to have a forum, it would only be about banning guns...what else are they going to talk about concerning guns...what firearms they don't have?

It's this sort of forum, that keeps RKBA-supporters together so they can act cohesively and quickly, that gives us vastly more power than our opponents, because we're organized, and (perhaps sadly) that's what matters in politics these days.
Old April 20, 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
jfrey123

Just cause the majority of our fellow Americans are on our side doesn't mean that things will go our way. That is the single flaw with our "democratic republic" form of government. It doesn't matter what we really want, cause the people we elect to represent us will serve their own interests in every possible situation.
Old April 20, 2007, 11:37 PM   #5
pipoman

I have yet to see a discussion forum including DU which isn't going our way or at least has very strong intelligent arguments for pro-2nd. I think it is time to hit the gun ban in National Parks and any other state issues within individual states. If your state is a "may issue" state begin pushing for a shall amendment. If you happen to be a Democrat in a Democrat state now is the time to get the 2nd issue out of your state platform. The pressure is there and building.
Old April 21, 2007, 08:46 AM   #6
lockedcj7

Based on the Miss America story, I'm tempted to believe we will be reading more stories of lawful, responsible gun-owners using their weapons to stop or prevent crime. If that happens, I think our case and cause just gets stronger.

I also agree though, that it's too early to tell and that this thing could turn around on us in a heartbeat if there are copycats. The media is blowing with the wind.
Old April 22, 2007, 01:44 AM   #7
jkkimberfan

Media bias

Even the bias media (who is the real force pushing the gun ban agenda) is having a difficult time ignoring the truth that; criminals do not obey gun control laws, criminals will always get a gun or other weapon, law abiding concealed carry license holders are the most law abiding of society including police officers, having armed citizens lowers crime and shootings in the states it is enacted and there are no "Wild West" shootouts over fender benders as the legend goes, it is hypocritical and discrimination for some declared special people to be allowed to carry a concealed handgun when most can not, dialing 911 and waiting 20 minutes will not protect you, handguns are more often used in self defense than crime which do not make the headllines and gun free zones are actually unarmed killing zones.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Scott Conklin

For now things look...decent. Wait. See who wins in '08. IF Hillary infests the White House AND the Democrat Party consolidates it's infection of CONgress then you'll see how things really are. They'll gleefully ban or license everything they can think of no matter how much yelling we do. If it costs them everything in '12? Sacrificing junior members isn't that big a deal in politics iof your agenda has been served and, as we know, it's much harder to repeal stupid laws than to make them.

Sadly, we'll be no better off if that leftist hack Guilliani wins, unless we get both houses back into Repub control also. Even then we'll gain no ground, we simply won't(hopefully) lose any.

www.libertydwells.com
Old April 22, 2007, 09:26 AM   #9
DesertDawg

Are things going OUR way? Well, let's take a serious look at the way Americans waiver in their thinking!

Shortly after 9-11-01, all of the polls showed that President George W. Bush had a 90+% "favorable" rating for the way he was conducting his job. What is it now? Somewhere in the 30% level! Add to that, shortly after 9-11-01, there were American flags flying EVERYWHERE, and there was actually a shortage of them for sale! How many American flags do you see flying nowadays?

Just before the invasions of both Afghanistan and Iraq, the majority of our society was FOR the invasions, and that included most of the DEMOCRAT "representatives" in government! Now? Well, let's just say that the "popularity" of war has dropped off considerably, and many of the Democrats who were FOR the invasions are now "politicizing" along party lines!

While things SEEM to be going OUR way right now, just wait a few months. Everything will calm down, people will forget VA Tech, and the anti-gun organizations (and the news media) will AGAIN start up with their agendas!

My mother passed away when she was 89 years old. Oh, she was sharp as a tack about the past, but her short-term memory was gone! I went to see her the night before she passed away, and she recognized me, but when I went to use the restroom and then returned a few minutes later, she didn't realize that I was already there! Very sad to see her in that condition! It's also very sad that our society lacks short-term memory!