The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1
locobombero

Who has had good luck with the Taurus Mil. Pros

Ok so as I read all over the net one gets bombarded with all the bad of the the PT-Whatever Millennium Pro pistols. Now as many are sure to agree much of the bad on the net should only be taken with a grain of salt since as a society we only tend to harp on the bad and not mention the good. I just purchased a PT-145 3rd gen as a CCW piece because the price was absolutely right and I want to like the gun because of the impressive features it has that other guns of this size and style just don't have. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm really hoping it serves me well. With that said Id like to hear those who have had good experiences with the gun. Lord knows all the bad is every where so I just would like to have my spirits lifted up with some of the good. Even with the attitude I have regarding the net and some of the poor info you get from it I still find myself second guessing my purchase. The range will truly be the deciding factor but hell I'm human!
Old June 9, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2
ShelbyV8

I have a Mil Pro PT145 DAO, that I have not had a single problem with. It feeds the Corbon DPX 160gr with no problems and 230gr Gold Dots. 11 rounds of 45acp in a compact, what is not to love.
Old June 9, 2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Ralph Allen

i bought my first Taurus, a PT745 compact a couple of months ago. This is a 6+1 45acp. I have aprox. 250 rounds through it at this time. Have had no ftf/fte so far. Have had the trigger hang up 3 times in the first 150 rounds. These have been cleared with the slam/rack/fire routine. I still have my reservations about the feel of the sa/da trigger, but I am getting used to it in practice sessions. Time will tell on how much I end up liking this pistol. Have been thinking about a Glock 36 (another 6+1), and have heard some negative reports on this single stack 45 as well. Guess thats what we make the big bucks for, so we can have more and more of what we want!
Ralph
Old June 9, 2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Manedwolf

PT745 DAO in stainless.

No problems. Ever. Goes bang and puts a round where it's pointed every time, hence why it's the CCW.
Old June 9, 2007, 08:47 PM   #5
kansas_plainsman

My PT140 has been a solid performer - no problems.

It's important to note that I only shoot quality brand-name ammo, use only Taurus brand magazines, and keep it clean and oiled.
Old June 9, 2007, 11:56 PM   #6
exprt9

I currently own a 2nd gen DAO PT111 and PT140 MilPro's in stainless and a 3rd gen PT145 Pro SA/DA also in stainless steel slide. All three guns have been flawless!

Last edited by exprt9; June 11, 2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add
Old June 10, 2007, 12:04 AM   #7
wyohusker

2nd generation pt145

Mine is DAO but after getting used to the trigger great shooter. Have had no hickups at all. 230 fmj mostly. 500 rounds in all. Put 230 grain FMJ through it so can call reliable for HD. Then my wife shot it and now it sits on her night stand. Had to go out and get another .45.
Old June 10, 2007, 12:39 AM   #8
2FNSLO

PT111 Mil Pro

Mine has been perfect since I purchased it new a couple months ago. Over 250 rounds through mine. A buddy of mine has the same thing and hasn't had any problems with his. He's had his for a couple of years. One of the reasons I got one.
I think your right about the people with problems. Not saying they don't have problems, it's just that they will go to every board and talk about it. Those of us without rarely go from board to board and talk about how our gun fires just like it is supposed to.
I hope your one of the lucky ones like me and got a good one.
Old June 10, 2007, 02:53 AM   #9
MPanova

Same answer from me on here as on THR

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG GUN!"
Old June 10, 2007, 08:37 AM   #10
45reloader

2 no problems
Old June 10, 2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Blade37db

I've had a 2nd generation PT111 for over a year. Over 700 rounds through it (some +P) with 0 problems.
Old June 10, 2007, 09:54 AM   #12
NeoBlu

PT145 MilPro DAO Stainless

Third gen. Zero FTF/FTE's. 1000+ rounds thru it. Some +P. Love it. My CCW of choice. I agree w/kansas_plainsman about the Taurus brand mags. Others just don't fit well.

The trigger is a bit stiffer than some, but I prefer that in my CCW piece. My wife doesn't care for it. I have larger hands and it fits me well.

-NB
Old June 10, 2007, 10:18 AM   #13
hs driver

Pt111

Mine is third generation. I only got it last month (May) and have run about 450 rounds through it. No problems, accurate and feels great!
Old June 10, 2007, 01:34 PM   #14
tex45acp

I have had my 2nd Generation PT-145 for several years now and have over 4000 rounds through it. Only one failure to fire, and I tried that same round in 3 other 45acp guns, still would not go off. I am dealing with a guy for another 2nd Edition PT-145, but with a stainless slide.

Last edited by tex45acp; June 10, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old June 10, 2007, 07:00 PM   #15
SKM&P9

I have a 3rd gen. PT-111, and like others, picked it up because of the size, restrike ability, and the price. After over 700 rds, and using it as my carry gun for the CCW class, not one problem to date. The recoil is so mild, I'm even thinking of picking up another Mil-pro in .45 ACP.
Old June 10, 2007, 07:18 PM   #16
Slugthrower

Don't worry, the Mill Pros are decent pistols. The only caveat that I have with them is the aluminum frame assembly. Personally, I want my pistols to last a long time and the 2nd Gen PT-140SS I owned was showing signs of significant wear at less than 500 rounds. This was far too early to me. Otherwise it was a good pistol. YMMV. Enjoy it for what it is. A reasonable priced semi-automatic pistol that is good for a CCW. If you plan on shooting large amounts of ammo, use standard pressure rounds, or get a pistol that has a steel frame assembly underneath the plastic frame. Hope that your Mill Pro serves you well. Take the Taurus bashers with a grain of salt. Good shooting and have a safe and fun time with your pistol Sir.
Old June 10, 2007, 07:19 PM   #17
Qwiks draw

Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards in 2005 as follows: Shooting Industry Manufacturer of the Year award, National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers Manufacturer of the Year, and SHOT Business Manufacturer of the Year.
NRA awards were more recent but would have to research to see which two they were.

So Taurus is doing something right. Bashers and trolls ignore that completely.

The latest bash technique is to say that Customer Service is unresponsive or insulting to callers. That may have been true a year ago or more. Those staff at Taurus that did that are all fired and gone.

Since I have contacted Taurus Customer service to ask questions several times this year responses were positive in each case.

Time in getting the gun back however can still be a source of frustration though.

Losing the gun is another favorite basher technique. "They don't know where it is and still don't", goes the cry. Trolls are still kicking that one around every chance they get. That is not true either. They have been tracking where guns go pretty well.

The above is a quote I used in another post in another thread. Taurus recieved 3 awards in 2005 and several more from the NRA and other sources in the last year or so.

So Taurus is doing things right for the most part. Manufacturers have to work hard to get these awards.

Bashers , whiners, and trolls ignore this exclusively. "Conventional Wisdom" to the contrary, Taurus is putting out decent products. "Conventional Wisdom" is not always wise.

This is a quote from your truly from another forum. And what is said still stands. The above is about 3 prestigious awards that Taurus has won as well as several form the NRA since or in 2005.

It does not surprise me that when all avenues are closed for whining and complaining, new ones that are not truthful are tried to be opened up.
Old June 10, 2007, 08:40 PM   #18
ZeSpectre

2'nd Gen (DAO trigger) blued Mil Pro PT-140
Runs like clockwork and digests any round I've put into it so far.
Roughly 1,100 rounds so far and the only two issues I've had could definitely be attributed to the ammo not the gun.
Old June 11, 2007, 07:49 AM   #19
Taurus_9mm

And the consensus is............ a plethora of satisfied MIL PRO owners.

www.taurusarmed.net
Old June 11, 2007, 08:20 AM   #20
Jkwas

A really good gun. My 2nd gen 111 has been perfect, over 1000rnds served