The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Clayton

Lubricant Tests

Okay...I am assembling as many types of popular lubricants and CLP's as I can to do some unscientific testing.

I will be testing rust prevention, functionality on various types of firearms, ease of use, and lots of other things.

Rust tests are pretty straightforward, but a lot of other things I want to test are subjective, and therefore YMMV alot. FWIW, I have been shooting and cleaning firearms for over twenty years, with a few years of doing so on a more professional level. I have done lots of these kinds of tests for myself and others, and so I am a victim of my own experience, but as Kelly McCann says, at least I have some.

As soon as I figure out my wife's camera and the whole picture posting thing I will load as many as I can to help folks see the various test results. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that...

So far I have twenty products here, and three more on order, including Weapon Shield CLP. As soon as all has arrived, the testing will commence.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions, please E-mail or PM me.

Thanks,

Clay
Old July 16, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Clayton

Products being tested:

Hoppes Elite Gun Oil - the same product as Mpro7 oil. Very popular among the tree hugging environmentalist gun lovers.

Rem Oil - ye old standby, and a favorite of noted author and instructor Chuck Taylor.

Break-Free CLP - used by the armies of more countries than all other products combined. Been issued to U.S. military troops since 1979.

G96 Gun Treatment - Been around a coon's age. Very popular on the east coast, and used by several police departments there. Tested and approved by the RCMP.

Tetra Gun oil, grease, and spray - very popular PTFE-based products.

Militec-1 - probably the most popular lubricant by folks on the net, and lots of troops are using it right now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Super Lube - PTFE grease type spray, tested in the 1980's by an unnamed Special Forces Group.

Ballistol - been around since the early 1900's and touted as a do-it-all miracle product. Very popular with the black powder crowd.

MMC Metal Conditioner - fairly new product, used by several gun companies and 'smiths.

Milcomm TW-25B - used by the U.S military on crew-served weapons, including the General Electric miniguns.

Weapon Shield CLP - new kid on the block.

Synthetic Motor Oils - Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1.

MPC FP-10 CLP - I still have some on hand.

Various industrial dry lubes including Dri-Slide, which was used during the Vietnam War.

WD-40 - probably more rednecks using this on guns than anything else on the planet.

Militec-1 grease and MPC's PL-10 grease will also be tested for the grease loving folks among us...

Clay
Old July 17, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
frankxd

Can you please add Eezox to your test?
Old July 17, 2007, 12:14 PM   #4
b00

Testing products is always a lot of fun. I would recommend that you do some research on standardized practices for testing oils and greases. Simply squirting oil on an arm to see how it functions is a pretty poor and meaning less test. It would be inconsistant and would not yield any conclusive data.

I do a lot of testing of materials in my job. You need to establish what properties you would like to test that are relevant to a firearm. Then research standard methods for testing these. Now granted some will require equipment and processes out of your reach, but they will help establish good procedures that can be done at home. By doing this you will glean much more quality usable information from you tests.

properties to test-quick list
Lubricity- very important (I have a tester somewhere if I could find it)
Corrosion prevention
Boiling point- if you heat up your arm is it going to leave
Pour point (low temp)
viscosity
cleansing effect
degradation with time
gum formation
dirt attraction and grit size holding ability (generally related to viscosity)

Now are you looking for one oil to do all or best in classes. I could be wrong on this but a good quality low viscosity synthetic motor oil probably will exceed most gun oils in most catagories. Also a good quality wheelbearing grease probably should be added to your list to.
Old July 17, 2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Clayton

I don't have any Eezox on hand or I would test it again, however I have tested Eezox in the past, and it is an excellent lubricant and rust preventative. I particularly don't care for the smell, but it has been around for quite awhile and works well as a CLP.

Eezox is not compatible with some plastics used in grips, small parts, etc. Several forum members have had it and the Tetra Gun products damage certain plastics in the past. Be careful with these products.

I'm still waiting on some products to arrive, so I did a few tests last night using some new M2 high speed steel drill bits.

Break-Free CLP is normally my control, as I know what it will do realistically, and IMHO, if a high tech product doesn't outperform a $5 can of Break-Free, what's the point?

Between Break-Free CLP, Rem-Oil, and MMC Gun Protector and Conditioning Spray, Break-Free is the clear winner. The other two showed signs of rust within six hours using a spray bottle filled with a teaspoon of sea salt and warm water. No rust on the Break-Free coated bit after 12 hours.

Testing MPC PL-10, Militec-1 grease, Tetra Gun grease, and Milcomm TW-25B for rust prevention on a piece of parkerized 1095 carbon steel, using the aforementioned salt spray. I'm betting on PL-10 and Militec-1 as the winners.

Testing Hoppes Elite gun oil, Militec-1, and Break-Free CLP today.

I hear lots of folks say they won't use a C-L-P because they don't work as well as xxx oil. Check out the other tests online and look at the lab tests and you will see otherwise. CLP's like Break-Free, Eezox, Tri-Flow, FP-10 and G96 normally come out on top.

I will begin testing products on firearms and other tools this weekend. I hope to have all my orders in by Friday.

Clay
Old July 17, 2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Clayton

b00, the tests I am performing are for fun, and therefore I am not trying to conform to ASTM or MIL-L testing standards, nor will I be using any Falex machines. Most of the good companies like Steel Shield and Break-Free have been tested in the lab and the results are easily obtainable.

I will post any technical data that I have of the best products when I am through. Some companies provide data and some do not. Lots of times there is a reason for this, and it isn't good.

Motor oils, synthetic or conventional, normally do very poorly in rust tests that I and several others have already done. They work fine as lubricants if used sparingly. I will be testing Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum.

Thanks for the replies and emails. If anyone has any data or personal test results of different lubes, post them here. The more opinions, the better.

Clay

Last edited by Clayton; July 17, 2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 17, 2007, 01:43 PM   #7
b00

Out of curiousity, what are you testing with drill bits?

Also have you done any long term corrosion resistance tests? Salt spray tests are great to simulate arms by the ocean, but how about storage in a house on verticle surfaces and humidity that sneaks up on arms?
Old July 17, 2007, 01:52 PM   #8
P97

I have used Eezox on all my guns for about 2 years and love it. It might damage some polymers but I have used it on Rugers P-series and Remington nylons and it doesn't hurt them.
Old July 17, 2007, 01:59 PM   #9
Tempest45

I've used Eezox for a year or so and have yet to have it damage plastic (including an XD). It does take off the black lettering on a barbecue grill though.

Clayton, good work. I'd love to see some tests on Slip 2000. Very little out there, and I can't find it locally to try.
Old July 17, 2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Clayton

Large drill bits, made of blued M2 high carbon steel are excellent to use in rust tests. I also use mild steel plate, angle iron, old gun barrels, and 1095 high carbon steel. Coat the metal with the product and spray with a fine mist of salt water several times a day. Sometimes I use good 'ole rainfall as well.

Products that do well in these kinds of tests will normally excel in long term tests as well, unless evaporation is an issue. Salt fog lab tests and water washout tests are great if the manufacturer will release the independant lab test results to the public.

Personally, I rarely use a product long enough to see long term results, with the exception of Break-Free CLP, FP-10 and a few others. Also I don't have any weapons in storage. It either gets used often or it gets sold off in my house.

A friend of mine who does have some fine firearms stored away uses Corrosion-X, with excellent results. He also uses it on his hunting rifles.

As far as compatability with Eezox goes, I never had any problems with it on Glocks. Some manufacturers have tested their products for compatability with plastics, rubber, etc. but many have not and instead leave it up to the consumer to find out the hard way.

Pat Rogers, who has forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know, has used Slip 2000 with good results, but I have yet to try any. I have never heard anything bad about their entire line of products.

www.slip2000.com

Clay
Old July 17, 2007, 05:59 PM   #11
Clayton

Lets talk about customer service and product information.

The following companies have excellent customer service, and go out of their way to provide the consumer with valuable information-

Steel Shield Technologies www.steelshieldtech.com
Break-Free www.break-free.com
FTI Inc. www.tetraproducts.com
Milcomm www.milcomm.com
Corrosion Technologies www.corrosionx.com
Militec Inc. www.militec-1.com

The following companies have good service, and provide you with some data, albeit mostly testemonials -

G96 Products www.g96.com
Eezox Inc. www.eezox.com
Russack www.russack.com

Several other companies have lousy service and provide no info, but we won't talk about these guys...

As far as products having an informative label on the container itself, Steel Shield wins hands down. My Weapon Shield arrived today and I have to say that George has outdone himself again. Well done, sir.

Clay
Old July 17, 2007, 07:38 PM   #12
gcfennell

Tests

Thank you Clay...just wait till you get to the tests

As for OUR customer service, I'm sure many of you remember it when I was with MPC...bar none. I make the pledge to all...it is, and will always be, "beyond reproach".

Best regards,
George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old July 17, 2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Clayton

Is anyone out there using Militec-1 grease? This stuff seems to be a very good product for those that would need or prefer grease.

http://www.militec1.com/index.html

If you are currently using grease, what kind are you using, and what do you use it on?

Thanks,

Clay
Old July 17, 2007, 08:18 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I do have a suggestion that isn't meant to insult your intelligence...

Do you apply the products as specifically designed first? I know you're probably tired of hearing the songs of praise of Eezox (especially since I'm a big fan), but it's the only example that I have at the top of my head. Eezox is designed to be applied to a surface totally free of previous lubes, dirt, etc. before application. Then apply a thin amount and let sit for several hours to penetrate the surface to be protected. Then wipe off excess and should be ready to deal with whatever comes.

I just wanted to suggest that the application of each product is applied by what each manufacturers instruct. Thanks for reading my thesis...

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 17, 2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Just caught your last post. If I use anything else besides Eezox, it's Tetra Grease on the slides. And very little at that...

Old July 17, 2007, 08:25 PM   #16
Clayton

Hey guy, no insult taken at all..

First thing I do is clean the metal being used with either carburator cleaner, gun scrubber, acetone, or alcohol, depending on what it is. I always make sure the surface is clean and dry, and after each product application I wash my hands/wear gloves to ensure that there is no cross-contamination.

The products are also applied according to direction i.e. shaken first, etc. The only exception is I use the same amount/thickness across the board, which is more than what you would usually leave on the outside of a firearm. Products are rubbed or brushed in well so that there are no voids.

Clay
Old July 17, 2007, 08:57 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification, Clayton. Great info. on your thread so far...

Old July 17, 2007, 10:29 PM   #18
Clayton

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/a6...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Okay guys, here's some pics. This is a trial run, and very much a learn as you go process for me, so be patient, and advice is welcome. If these kinds of links or whatever will work for everyone then we in bidness.

When I get to the real tests later on I will be more in depth in the explaination, etc.

Clay
Old July 18, 2007, 01:32 AM   #19
MisterPX

This test has been done more than a few times already, some of you may be surprised what does teh best at rust prevention

I would like to see a lube test though.
Old July 18, 2007, 07:01 AM   #20
Clayton

Lots of other excellent tests out there. I am not alone in my madness:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=FP-10

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.accuratereloading.com/rustest.html

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

http://www.shootersolutions.com/webrusttests.html

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post895087

It's interesting how some of the results vary a bit. Some products like FP-10, TW-25B, and Break-Free seem to do good or bad depending on the test, while Eezox is pretty consistant. Lots of different factors at play, not the least of which is the unscientific nature of these tests.

I will be doing some live fire tests as well as cleaning tests on the CLP's I have, which of course are subjective and non-scientific, but fun anyways. I will also post any lab results regarding Falex wear tests, etc. that I have.

Anyone currently using Eezox or Slip 2000 should get a sample of Weapon Shield and tell us what you think after comparing them a bit.

Last edited by Clayton; July 18, 2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old July 18, 2007, 08:03 AM   #21
Clayton

I used Weapon Shield to clean and lube a Glock 19 last night, I have to say this is an excellent product so far. Very easy to use. The film strength is very good, making it easy to apply. It seems to really adhere well to metal parts, which is a concern nowadays with the various coatings being used on firearms.

The pleasant cinnamon smell is still here, but improved. The faint petrol odor of FP-10 is gone, and the color is very slightly different, still a light amber tint but not as yellow.

I removed the Hoppes Elite gun oil from my Spyderco Military and applied Weapon Shield. I immediatly noticed an improvement. Much smoother action, and it smells good.

In a preliminary rust test started last night, it is holding up as well as Break-Free CLP and Corrosion-X.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/weaponshield.htm

Clay

Last edited by Clayton; July 18, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old July 18, 2007, 12:23 PM   #23
gcfennell

Great Job Clay

GREAT job Clay, as always. There is one thing I can say for sure, Clayton is one of the most "UNBIASED" person(s) I know. He "tells it like it is" and knows what he is doing, and that's what is so valuable about his testing. If I were to test and publish like I did in the past, it cannot come across as unbiased, even if the data supports it. But Weapon Shield CLP will undoubtedly show in the end, that it is the BEST and MOST BALANCED of the CLP's out there...and the BEST lubricant that money can buy for ALL of your guns/weapons. That's one reason I am doing the give-away...so it can speak for itself and you all can post "YOUR" opinions of it's performance.

Best regards,
George
Old July 18, 2007, 12:59 PM   #24
Clayton

Thanks George. I know that lots of folks, me included, really appreciate having you available to answer questions about your products as well as the whole aspect of lubrication in general.

George just let on to the reason why we don't see many tech guys or ceo's from the other companies posting on the forums - they immediately get bashed for being biased, etc. when in fact the information that they are providing is from an independant lab like SWRI, and is therefore UNbiased and reliable.

Lab results are great, but there are lots of different things to consider, and what works best for me may not be the best choice for you. A good look at your priorities, and whether they're good or bad, will go a long way in helping you pick good products, no matter what they are.

For instance, some folks go bonkers over a "green" product that is biodegradable and non-toxic. This is a good thing to me, but it is not my number one priority. The Mpro7 stuff is a good example of a line of products that put "green" above performance, in my opinion. On the other end, when George formulated Weapon Shield, he put performance first, but still came up with a very safe, non-toxic product to use.

I am biased in the sense that, as I said earlier, I am a victim of my own experiences like most folks, and so I know pretty well what works and what doesn't, and I have a good idea of what to look for and what I prefer when it comes to gun lubes, cleaners, etc...which is why I normally go with a CLP.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and this the reason why CLP's are normally better products to use. Over the last ten years, most of the advances in gun lubes have been because of the military's desire to go with a CLP, and so manufacturer's have tried to go after these contracts and the specs that must be met to win them. We reap the benefits by getting lots of good products to choose from. Several new products, like Weapon Shield, now meet MIL-L-63460D.

Some parts of these mil-spec tests mean nothing to us private citizens, like reactivity to NBC/MOPP detection gear, etc. but the bottom line is I'd much rather use a product that at least HAS been tested, and will at least meet some type of criteria. Much better than some guy in a gun shop named Billy Joe telling you it works good on his deer rifle, and got his '72 Chevy started this morning.

YMMV

Clay
Old July 18, 2007, 02:19 PM   #25
gcfennell

some guy in a gun shop named Billy Joe telling you it works good on his deer rifle, a

Quote:
some guy in a gun shop named Billy Joe telling you it works good on his deer rifle, and got his '72 Chevy started this morning.
....but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn....

G