The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 19, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
lunger

Taurus warrenty service

Several months back I asked about your experience's with taurus's repair service.I was sending my Raging Bull 44 mag back because the cylinder was binding.There Didn't seem to be enough space between the frame and the rear of the cylinder.So here's mine $60 for shipping and nine week wait and yesterday it finally arrived.My joy only lasted as long as it took me to get to the range.Loaded the first cylinder and could barely get it closed.Tried another brand of ammo a little better but still binding.I'm trying not to bash here I really like this gun and own several more tauri.My question is do I return it to Taurus and wait or take it to the local gunsmith.My $60 would have went a long way toward his bill and I probably would of had it in one week.Again not bashing just would like your imput and trying to vent a little
Old July 19, 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Majic

Does it bind with the cylinder empty? If not then use feeler gauges in front and behind the closed cylinder to see just how much clearance you have. You may have to open up the B/C gap a little. A lot of this cleanace can be taken up by various ammo. Some cases have thicker rims. Heavier bullets are of course longer and may protrude out of shorter cylinders. Investigate all the obvious before sending back to the factory.
Old July 19, 2007, 09:16 PM   #3
lunger

No binding at all with empty cylinder.I asumed the factory would check the specs and test fire allI see are a few file marks on the back of the cylinder .The work order said problem-cylinder repair-adjusted that and not shoot reloads and to clean after shooting
Old July 20, 2007, 09:49 AM   #4
JR47

Do you know what he did? Inquiring minds, and all.
Old July 20, 2007, 04:53 PM   #5
JunyTuck

My bet is that he took his Dremel tool and finished off the rough metal work so typical of Taurus revolvers. They make a strong gun but finish them poorly. Finishing a gun properly is the most labor intensive part of the process. It seems Taurus would rather push them out the door, and accepts returns as an acceptable cost of doing business.
Old July 20, 2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Manedwolf

JunyTuck, do you actually own a Taurus?

Because the 4410 I just got has precise fit and finish that makes anything new from S&W look crappy. No rough edges anywhere, and the action wasn't even remotely gritty. Smooth as glass in function right out of the box.
Old July 20, 2007, 06:29 PM   #7
JunyTuck

Yes, I have owned several, none currently, except a PT 1911. The PT 1911 is a great value and well finished, which was absolutely necessary if they wanted to compete in the already crowded 1911 market.
The revolvers I have owned all needed the filemarks,burrs, and rough edges cleaned up in order to function properly. Initially, I sent them back to Taurus and they did the bare minimum. Just easier to do it myself and avoid the hassle. I have sold all the revolvers after cleaning them up for the next owner. It's a crapshoot with them, sometimes you get a good one. Glad your experience was good. Mine wasn't!
Old July 20, 2007, 08:54 PM   #8
ShipWreck

I hate to be the anti Taurus guy here (I am), but I have seen so, so many neg reports of their customer service that it is ridiculous. People have written out detailed experiences, updates over time as thing progressed, and the way some people get treated by the company is ridiculous.

I have seen identical versions of your story too. I had a Taurus years ago. I would never buy another one after all these stories on the various forums.
Old July 21, 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Manedwolf

JR47, don't worry, that always happens. There's jingoistic Taurus bashers who usually "owned one a long time ago"...like twenty to thirty years ago.

I just can't offer input because absolutely nothing has been wrong with either my PT92 or 4410 revolver, so I haven't had to send them anywhere.

But the fact that they offer lifetime service on any Taurus no matter if you're the first or secondhand owner, for free, says a lot about the company.
Old July 21, 2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Joe the Redneck

I'd call them and see if you can get them to pay shipping both ways on the re-repair.

If they say no, then I'd take it somewhere local to get fixed.

Joe
Old July 21, 2007, 07:41 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just a comment that arguments on the pros and cons of warranty service by any gun manufacturer can be pretty academic when the gun is not just a playtoy. I am reminded of the remark by Melvin Johnson in one of his books that if a gun fails in combat, you can write a nasty letter to the manufacturer, and if you are lucky it will be found and forwarded by the grave digging detail.

Jim
Old July 21, 2007, 09:38 PM   #12
tuckerdog1

I have owned 4 Taurus handguns.

A PT99 for almost 20 years. Thousands of rounds fired. Never a problem. No longer have this gun, and I miss it.

A 94 UL 22LR revolver. Only problem was one of the adjustment screws for the rear sight came out, followed by the sight blade. Lost both. NOT covered by warranty, but Taurus replaced free anyway. No longer have this one either.

A PT1911. Pretty new, without many rounds fired, but no problems.

Bought a used 605 357mag. Gun had a firing pin problem that I was aware of when I bought it. Thought I could fix myself, Taurus sent parts free. I was unable to fix, so sent to Taurus for repair. Was told about 6 week turnaround. Made several calls during the repair period to check status. Could never get specific info on my gun, just approx return time. Phone was always answered quickly. People were always polite. Sent gun FedEx 6/12, Taurus had on 6/13. Gun back in my hands 7/20. That's a little under the 6 weeks. Have not been to the range yet, but the problem seems to be corrected.

No complaints from me.

Tuckerdog1

Little update: Went to the range today ( 7/24 ) and put 100 rounds of a 38/357 mix through the gun. Works great.

Last edited by tuckerdog1; July 24, 2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: New Info
Old July 22, 2007, 05:50 PM   #13
JunyTuck

I said " Taurus makes a strong gun, just doesn't finish them well". I also said " The pt 1911 was a good value and well finished, which was neccesary if Taurus want's to compete in the crowded 1911 market". My point is and has always been, if you buy a $ 400 revolver, don't expect perfection! It's very likely it will need some work to make it function consistently.
I'm not impressed with their warranty! They play the odds that most people will never send them in, as is the case with rebate offers. I'm not a Taurus fan or a basher, just trying to share my opinion and experience, which I thought was the purpose of the forum?
Old July 23, 2007, 09:51 AM   #14
JR47

Your maintaining that the weapons are poorly finished, and that the warranty is a crap-shoot, isn't always born out by other's experience. I sometimes wonder if part of the problem lies in the manner in which communications is initiated by the person, and continued thereafter. Taurus, like most manufacturers, has a phone group, who aren't gunsmiths, for general questions. When a weapon is sent in, it is entered into a computer, alongside an estimated repair date. Calling in will get you that information, no matter how often you call. Demanding more information, or "to talk to the gunsmith" results in the treatment that many describe.

There are numerous threads, on the forums devoted to single brands, of problems with the weapons. Yet, when the same people arrive here, or others data-mine the forums, bad things never seem to happen to "good" brands. In an industry where 100,000 weapons per year per brand is a low estimate, a 1% rate of problems is still 1,000. Add to that damage in shipping, or at the distributor, and the "problems" of people who "expected more" from the weapons, and the number is considerably larger. That's for EVERY brand.
Old July 24, 2007, 12:35 AM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

This thread is supposed to be about guns and gun companies.

Take it to PM or email if you want to do anything else.
Old July 30, 2007, 10:16 PM   #16
cajuncutter

Lunger, I just sent mine in and they sent fed-x to my house to pick it up. When you are ready to send yours in call the customer service and ask them to send fed-x. Also ask for their shipping/billing number and fill out the air bill accordingly. That is what I did and it went overnight priority, they had it before 10 am their time. Also I have had the same problems. First thing I noticed was a very loose rear sight and then I shot the gun and as it heated up the brass got stuck. Also my cylinder had play, a lot. I was put on "priority" status, I complained that I had not had the gun even a whole week and was having to send it in. they were understanding, at least I think they were. I guess I will find out in another week and 1/2 if they are true to their word. Also I agree about the roughness of the gun. It was a little discouraging that it had burrs all over the place. I brought that up in my letter of explanation however if they do not clean it up I will take it upon myself to do it.
Caj
Old July 30, 2007, 10:35 PM   #17
lev83

I think I would be highly pissed if I had to pay shipping to return a gun that should have never passed a manufacuturers QC testing. I know some of these end up being a real value but things like this are why I never purchase their products.
Old July 30, 2007, 10:59 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Taurus warranty service is exceedingly slow.

WildamongotherthingsAlaska
Old July 31, 2007, 02:40 PM   #19
dakotashooter2

I'll copy what JunyTuck said. The finish work on many of their guns leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not talking about the external finish but the internal. Both Taruses I have owned had burrs and rough surfaces on the internal parts which caused problems. Both were easily fixed with some stoning and polishing. Work that in most cases took less than a minute outside of disassembly time. Remember, it only takes one unfinished part to throw a monkey wrench in the works. As a note I spent a couple hours and at least 5 phone calls just trying to contact a live person at taurus without success and decided to fix the problems myself.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:07 PM   #20
clayking

I also recieved a gun back from Taurus with the same problem for which it was sent. I called and asked to speak to a manager, who gave me their fed-ex number to send it back to them. After 3-4 trips they replaced the gun, which also got sent back, I finally caved and went to a smith who repaired the problem. Yea, like I'm ever gonna buy another Taurus with all that trouble and money spent on shipping. The action compared to a Smith sucks, to a Colt, not even in the ballpark. The taurus accuracy, however is really quite good, but no better than Colt or Smth so why would I want another Taurus? When all is said and done, it is still a taurus.

The reports I hear on the 1911 has basically been positive and I have a friend who is buying one so my chance to shoot one is coming. However, at my stage of the gun buying game, I would rather spend up and get really good quality than own two "ok" guns....... .....................ck
Old August 3, 2007, 06:15 PM   #21
Apple a Day

Just got my PT-111 back. It took exactly nine weeks. The disassembly pin no longer falls out by itself... in fact the thing is now a major pain in the [censored] to take apart or put back together at all.
I have owned Taurus guns in the past and still own a couple of their revolvers. I don't see myself buying another one, though.