The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 22, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1
gedenke

NcStar Optics...?

Ok, fellas (and gals?), I need to tap into your vast amount of knowledge and experience here, and ask for your opinions.

Question is, are NcStar scopes, while not too exspensive, any good? I've heard that you get what you pay for in optics and to spend as much as affordable to get the quality. But what I want to know is if the NcStar line is decent or not.

They do have a lifetime warranty and I've looked (with my novice eye) through a few of them and they seem really clear, many come with mil-dot reticals. Some also have lighted reticals, but I'm not sure if that would be cool to have, or a distraction.

here's a link to their website: http://ncstar.com/new/

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old August 22, 2007, 11:37 PM   #2
Taxidermist

You didn't say what you wanted it for. I don't have much info on them. I only have one of their scopes. I bought one for my pistol a 2.5 x 30 to put on my smith & wesson 22A-1. I figured it should work on a .22 and so far after a couple thousand rounds it seems fine. I don't think I'd use it on my contender in .35 rem. but on the .22 it seems ok.

I do like the illuminated reticle. I put one on my old Charter arms about 30 years ago and it still works great but it's not an NcStar . I like the illuminated reticle just because if the battery goes dead I still have the crosshairs as apposed to the red dot.

John
Old August 23, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
gedenke

I'm looking at buying a Savage varmint rifle in .223 (probably a 12fv or 10fp) or something similar.
Old August 23, 2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Taxidermist

I only have one on a .22 pistol so I couldn't really say if one would be ok on your rifle or not. Ask the guy at the gun shop if you can bring it back if you find a problem with it. My dealer always takes things back so you don't have to send them in to the company. That way if it works for you no problem and if it doesn't and he is willing to give you a refund you still can't lose.

John

P,S. It is true to a point you get what you pay for but sometimes you can get lucky and get a good inexpensive one.
Old August 23, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5
radom

I have had a 3x9 compact on a AR for some years. It works and does the job but is not Ziess for sure.
Old August 24, 2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Wildalaska

Flea market junk.

WildthatsmyhumbleopinionAlaska TM
Old August 24, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
gedenke

WA, I kinda figured as much, due to the low price and the fact that I saw a whole table full of them at a local gunshow.
Old August 24, 2007, 10:10 PM   #8
rantingredneck

They're pretty much crap. If you're looking for a decent and decently priced scope look at Nikon Prostaff. 3-9x40 for around 150.00, 4x32 rimfire for 99.00.
Old August 25, 2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Silentarmy

I agree with Wildalaska! These are cheap chinese junk! A rifle with ANY significant recoil will destroy them in less than 100 rnds.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old September 8, 2007, 03:59 PM   #10
TEDDY

bull[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] the scope is ok if you dont put them on 300mags.I buy them from CDNN for $13 but now there about $19.there bright and short.there also are more powerful nstar then the 4x and 6x that I have.try one and if your dissatisfied return it.and since I dont have and dont want a 300 mag may be they will work.some people will bash god if they had the chance.some times you have to think for your self and take a chance.---------
Old September 8, 2007, 04:22 PM   #11
rantingredneck

That's what I said about the BSA I had on my .30-06 until about a month ago, when the view went suddenly dark when Bennnn was shooting it. I had less than 100 rounds through the rifle with that scope on top.

From now on I'm a loyal Nikon customer.

Of course I did just buy a Millet
Old September 9, 2007, 07:36 PM   #12
drinks

In scoping several Handi rifles in such puny and low recoil cartridges as .35 Whelen, .445 SM, .44Mag. , .308 and .45-70, I tried the Simmons shotgun scopes, none lasted more than 100 rounds, some only 20-30.
I then bought some LER NC Star 2.5x . I have all 4 in use, one gun has a Bushnell on it.
Even shooting 515gr at 1800fps in the .45 70, which is more than I can take often, I have never had a problem with the NC Star, LER pistol scopes.
I have fired some 1500 rounds in the rifles in the last year , I keep track by noting the number of primers I buy.
YMMV
Old September 9, 2007, 07:39 PM   #13
Manedwolf

NCStar's primary market is airsoft accessories. That should tell you all you need to know.

Basically, their stuff was never designed to handle the recoil of a real firearm.
Old September 19, 2007, 06:55 PM   #14
TEDDY

Ncstar

I have several in 4 and 6 power paid $13 and $19 at CDNN work on SKS.there Chinese and I think they might be NORINCO.Japan makes all the glass even for LEUPOLD.the japanese and chinese make the scopes Simmons is made in phillip.I buyhat I can afford and it seems it works for me.---------
Old September 19, 2007, 07:55 PM   #15
Catbird

I have a NCStar red/green dot reflex sight. I don't like it at all. It's cheaply made, the dot (both colors) is not nearly bright enough to use outside during normal daylight and the dot will not stay zeroed. I am now biased against buying any more NCStar products.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old September 21, 2007, 09:55 AM   #16
bigbird34

NC Star

Hello, I'm new to these forums,and have been reading them for a few days ....I have been hunting and reloading for over 20 years ....I'm not an "expert" but I am "experienced".....and shooting good tight groups ,is what it is all about....
A couple of years ago ,I bought a 7mm Rem mag in a Rem.700 Model Sendero...heavy S.S.12 pound gun,this gun is designed for the shooting lanes of Texas and the south,not the hills of Vermon/New Hampshire where I Live and hunt(it's my sitting rifle),(to damned heavy to carry) .....But I mounted an NC Star 6-24x50mm mil-dot scope with lighted reticle ,and it has worked well for at least 200, 140 grain bullets ,thru the gun ...it is not as good as a Kahles ,Clarity suffers out at 400 yards,but in my area you are generally shooting 200 yards or less ....For my use it was a good scope to start,one day I'll upgrade ,but to what I'm not sure yet .....Good Luck,Bigbird34
Old September 22, 2007, 06:17 AM   #17
Toolman

You get what you pay for. I've done the cheap scope thing. Sometimes you get lucky & the scope is clear & crisp out past 100yds.
I used NCStar for several years until I could afford good optics. I've had cross-hairs separate & rotate, I've also had the main tube break at the objective bell. Of NCStars that I've owned I had best luck with a rubber armored scope. I had more scope damage occur to scopes mounted on my SKS's (yes, they're buffered). Rapid-fire is death on cheap scopes so I switched to red-dot.