The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2007, 10:11 AM   #1
tackdriver

It's 4 a.m., the car alarm is blaring. What do you do?

This happened early this morning:
I woke to hear my car alarm blaring. I looked at the clock and it's 4:15 a.m.
Since the car was parked in our apartment's lot just outside my window, I opened the blinds and scanned the lot. I couldn't see anyone around or in the car. So, I got the fob and turned it off and started to get dressed. About 30 seconds later, the alarm went off again, indicating to me that someone was in the car when I turned it off and is trying to get out, or someone has a very thick skull and is trying to get in again -- OR, that the alarm is malfunctioning. When I looked out again, it still didn't appear there was anyone out there.

Either way, it's time to grab a flashlight and see what's happening.

Things to keep in mind:
I live in the nice part of a bad part of town in a very large apartment complex where car breakins are not at all uncommon. Violent crimes are unusual in our neighborhood but quite common in the surrounding neighborhoods (from which come the criminals who steal our things).

Here were my options. What would you do?

A. Call police. Sit tight.
B. Grab flashlight. Go investigate. Leave the gun inside to avoid introducing a gun to a nonleathal confrontation.
C. Grab flashlight. Grab holstered 1911 loaded with 1 8-round mag of 230grn Blazer Brass. 8 rounds is it. This is the only ammo I have on hand for this weapon. Go investigate.
D. Grab flashlight. Stuff G26 loaded with 124 grn +p Gold Dots into jacket pocket (no holster available) along with another full mag of same ammo. Go investigate.
E. Go back to sleep.

The happy ending is that no one was trying to break in and no one was out there. My wife had accidently popped the hood release when she was getting out of the car the previous evening and wind buffeting the hood set off the alarm.
Old October 16, 2007, 10:18 AM   #2
sharpshot08

I think i would have to go with C just to be on the safe side.
Old October 16, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
rxraptor02

I would of kept an eye out the window. If I seen someone I would call the police. You have a safe area to view your car, why put yourself in danger by going out to the lot.
S&W 66-7 .357mag
Old October 16, 2007, 11:03 AM   #4
tackdriver

Why go into the lot?

Obviously, I did go outside to check things out.

1. The darn alarm went off a second time after I turned it off.
2. If my car had been broken into, I'd want to file a report immediately in the off chance the police weren't dealing with something more important at the time.

I'll get to an observation about arming oneself at 4 a.m. after I get a few more responses, though.
Old October 16, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5
dwatts47

IMHO.... more rounds are better in this kind of situation.

G26 w/2mags and light for me. No way am I going to just sit tight and wait til noon when the police get concerned and finally answer my call.
Old October 16, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

When you go to investigate - what's the plan then?

BTW - the gun choice is rather trivial between the two. The only think I might say is that you are better off without the FMJ.

I say, if you go to investigate - you do it with some stealth.
Old October 16, 2007, 11:19 AM   #7
chris in va

Car alarm or not, I'm of the belief arming one's self is a good idea when venturing outside at 4am.

I vote 'D' simply because having your car alarm go off multiple times when no apparent cause is determined will piss off the neighbors.
Old October 16, 2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Wildalaska

Get a Surefire Guardian and an ASP.

Head out then.

One of the problems with guns is that they can make a non lethal confrontation into a lethal confrontation. They should thus be introduced into a scenario in a mature and reasoned fashion with careful consideration of all facts and circumstances.

One of the reasons I look askance at open carry by the way except in certain circumstances.

On the facts presented, therefore, its B

WildnootheranswerAlaska TM
Old October 16, 2007, 12:01 PM   #9
PhilA

Then again, who's to say its a non-lethal situation? I think the whole idea behind arming yourself is to be able to protect your life in the event someone MAKES it a lethal situation. Just having a gun in your pocket doesn't mean you have to use it. But not being armed while investigating a potential robbery at 4 in the morning doesn't make much sense to me, because I don't know what the other guy might have in HIS pocket.
Old October 16, 2007, 12:17 PM   #10
tackdriver

Quote:
Get a Surefire Guardian and an ASP.
The first rule in a snake fight is to have a snake.
Old October 16, 2007, 12:26 PM   #11
MyXD40

I had an alarm on my truck (nissan titan) and woke up a few times to an alarm. Homeless people around my truck digging through the trash, bumped into my truck. I never call the cops, being I dont want to waste resources. By the time I walk out my door, to my truck, flashlight off, I can see if someone is in or around my truck. THATS when the call to police is made. Then a sneek up on the gun yelling at him in a forcefull tone to get on the ground.
Old October 16, 2007, 12:28 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Quote:
Then a sneek up on the gun yelling at him in a forcefull tone to get on the ground.
Then what happens if he refuses to comply. Got your XD with you visible and strong side?

WildhmmmAlaska ™
Old October 16, 2007, 12:36 PM   #13
MyXD40

Quote:
Then what happens if he refuses to comply. Got your XD with you visible and strong side?
..okay class, today we will learn common sense. So if he refuses to comply with your forcefull tone to get onto the ground, he'll either run away (YAY!) or he'll fight, shoot, stab you! Ok class, this is where your carry weapon comes into play, if he pulls out a gun, or a knife, take action right away! if he tries to fight you, smack him in the head with your mag-lite

Old October 16, 2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Wildalaska

Quote:
f he tries to fight you, smack him in the head with your mag-lite
Now you have done that...you have ESCALATED the situation by answering physical force with what can reasonably be construed as DEADLY physical force. Now he screams "why are you trying to kill me, I was just looking for a place to sleep", spies your holstered handgun (that you have your hand on) and attempts to keep you from drawing it (which you are trying to do because he still is fighting)...a struggle ensues and the gun goes off....the noise stops you both in your tracks and you hear, from the apartment next door, a mother begin to scream "My baby, my baby". The dude takes oiff and you are standing there while the sirens begin to wail.....

Hows that one class...common sense enough for you

WildewaaaytoomuchtestosteronesometimesAlaska ™
Old October 16, 2007, 01:35 PM   #15
rampage841512

I'd go with C or D. Probably C cause I'm more comfortable with the 1911.
Old October 16, 2007, 01:43 PM   #16
MyXD40

Quote:
Now you have done that...you have ESCALATED the situation by answering physical force with what can reasonably be construed as DEADLY physical force. Now he screams "why are you trying to kill me, I was just looking for a place to sleep", spies your holstered handgun (that you have your hand on) and attempts to keep you from drawing it (which you are trying to do because he still is fighting)...a struggle ensues and the gun goes off....the noise stops you both in your tracks and you hear, from the apartment next door, a mother begin to scream "My baby, my baby". The dude takes oiff and you are standing there while the sirens begin to wail....
I dunno..if someone is trying to fight me, should i just stand there and take the hits? Maybe call the cops as he's punching me in the face "Yes 911, I'm being punched n the face by a guy who was trying to steal my car. I will wait for the police to arrive"

..nice try kid ..o0 and uhh what guy tries to break into your nice truck, to sleep in it? especialy if there was an alarm..(per say you turned off your alarm, to run outside and check it, and he's still around for whatever reason)
Old October 16, 2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Quote:
nice try kid
Your welcome. I can tell by that quote that the scenario set forth has never been considered by you, nor have you studied your specific state laws as the issues like escalation of force, the legal meaning of such terms as physical force and deadly physical force, nor the concepts of negligence, criminal negligence or recklessness.

As such, I reiterate my prior observations about your lack of qualifications to carry a firearm.

By the way folks, I strongly urge that if you have a firearm for self defense purposes, that you spend the time (a mere several hours of your life) carefully studying your state laws regarding self defense, justification etc. It may save ya a whole lot of grief and $$$, beyond the fact that that is what responsible gun owners MUST do.

WildonwardandupwardAlaska ™
Old October 16, 2007, 02:33 PM   #18
MyXD40

Quote:
Your welcome. I can tell by that quote that the scenario set forth has never been considered by you, nor have you studied your specific state laws as the issues like escalation of force, the legal meaning of such terms as physical force and deadly physical force, nor the concepts of negligence, criminal negligence or recklessness.

As such, I reiterate my prior observations about your lack of qualifications to carry a firearm.
I have read up on all the state laws for Colorado. By learning as well as being tought. Again, nice try kid. There's some wars you just can't win, and when you assume, you put yourself in a position of looking like a fool. Sorry, but you really arn't a "know it all".

and as far as qualifications to carry a firearm, would a Police Department hire a whack job, I mean, some of the tests, background checks they did to me were in high detail..unless I pass or "qualify" because the department is lacking officers and test and background checks don't happen to matter much..

But back to the point, you arn't the know it all, so before you care to attempt to come at me like you know right from wrong, you better understand that you're nothing more but just another person, and that you carry no weight. Oh and I think your online ego is a bit high too..but hey, everyone has their own views, so don't hate!
Old October 16, 2007, 02:48 PM   #19
Wildalaska

Quote:
I have read up on all the state laws for Colorado.
By your posts evidently not, else you wouldnt be saying the things you do.

Quote:
Again, nice try kid. There's some wars you just can't win, and when you assume, you put yourself in a position of looking like a fool. Sorry, but you really arn't a "know it all".
Nobody knows it all. On the other hand, having had a carry permit since 1981 in more than one jurisdiction, having passed a bar exam, having tried cases, including self defense, and having actually carried for going on 25 years now makes me a bit more credible than someone who is grabbing for his gunny at each bump in the night.

Quote:
and as far as qualifications to carry a firearm, would a Police Department hire a whack job, I mean, some of the tests, background checks they did to me were in high detail..unless I pass or "qualify" because the department is lacking officers and test and background checks don't happen to matter much..
Tell us what department so we can forward your posts to them.

WildhowsthatforatrykidAlaska ™
Old October 16, 2007, 02:49 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

If someone is 'around' your truck, can someone quote me the law in the relevant state that allows you to pull on a gun on that person and tell them to get down on the ground?

'Around' your truck isn't exactly breaking into it. Maybe they are a neighbor wanting to see why the damn horn is blowing.

What if the dude says: 'Hey, I just want to explain what happened' and starts to walk towards you with hands out and empty?
Old October 16, 2007, 02:51 PM   #21
tackdriver

Here's what I did and what I think about it.

The 1911 sits on my nightstand/footlocker. It is between me and the Mossberg 500 and is only there in case I can't get to the Mossberg, which is unlikely. Once I made my mind up to go out there, I decided I wasn't going to go out unarmed.

My first instinct was to strap on the 1911. I shoot it better, it's harder hitting and like I said, holstered.
But then I realized that if the SHTF at close range, I'd rather have 20 9 mm Gold Dots out of a pistol I can barely group into 12 inches at 10 yards than the alternative. If I had some hydrashoks loaded up in the 1911, the choice would have been very easy.

Also factored into the equation: encountering a concerned neighbor. I was worried that a concerned neighbor may confuse me with a burglar being that I would be snooping around my car so soon after the alarm went off. In that case, i'd rather have the Glock well hidden in my pocket than a 1911 hanging off my hip. That could lead to a really ugly case of mistaken identity and/or being phoned in to the author-a-tays as a burglar.

Of course, I had no intention of using the gun except for in a life/death confrontation. I was not anticipating such a confrontation since I couldn't see anyone in the parking lot. I carried it as insurance in the case of a surprise confrontation with someone wishing to have such a confrontation.

Still, introducing a gun to the mix in a situation where one has to leave the safety of his home can cause a lot of problems in court, especially if you think like MyXD40.

Another note about guns and waking up too quickly:
My concealed carry course was taught by SWAT officers and police trainers. I was taught that if I intended to keep a loaded weapon for home defense, to have it far enough away that I would have to get up and do something significant to get to it in order to make sure I was awake enough to use it.
Last night has made me reconsider my choice to ignore this advice. Before I packed up the G26, even after walking around the apartment for a few minutes, I was still fumbling with the flashlight. Thankfully, that scared me enough to wake me up all the way.
Old October 16, 2007, 03:17 PM   #22
Creature

The haughty condescension and arrogance displayed around here is truly distasteful.
Old October 16, 2007, 03:17 PM   #23
dwatts47

Quote:
Tell us what department so we can forward your posts to them

I LOVE IT!!!!!
Old October 16, 2007, 03:38 PM   #24
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The haughty condescension and arrogance displayed around here is truly distasteful.
Agreed, and neither does it reflect well on TFL. This has become nothing more than a pissing contest and a waste of bandwidth.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread