The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 9, 2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Dirty Handz

Hello!

I just recently inherited a pistol from my grandfather and I was wondering how to load it. This is probably a stupid question but the gun looks exactly like this:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...6&d=1029893693

i found the pic in this thread

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=126659

it's a smith and wessen 38 special ctg revolver

i know i have to open the chamber but i can't figure it out

*shrugs*
Old November 9, 2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Scorch

The cylinder latch is the checkered metal button on the left side of the frame. Push the latch forward, the cylinder should open. If it won't open, don't try to force it, just spray some solvent on it and give it some time to work, then try again.
Old November 9, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Majic

Push the checkered latch forward and swing the cylinder out to the left. You really need someone (professional like a class or very experienced friend) to teach you all the aspects of a firearm. If you can't open the action then you really know absolutely nothing about the firearm and a mistake could cause bodily harm or death to someone (including yourself).
Old November 9, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
MrBorland

Welcome.

Next, this should be obvious, but just to say it anyway: Until you get it opened and are able to verify otherwise, consider the gun loaded!
Old November 9, 2007, 02:14 PM   #5
chris in va

Please don't take this the wrong way, but...

a) If it doesn't open easily, don't shoot it!

b) If you don't know how to open it, do you at least know how to use a firearm? If not please take a safety course.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:03 PM   #6
carguychris

A few thoughts...

1) S&W revolvers are pretty simple. Almost anyone at your local gun store and/or the "gun guy" at your local pawn shop should be able to show you how to get the cylinder open and operate it.

2) Don't even think about firing it until someone familiar with revolvers has checked the bore and the cylinders for rust, dirt, or gunk blockage. Firing a revolver with the bore or cylinder blocked can result in a destroyed gun and/or a severely injured shooter.

3) The bore and cylinder are very simple to check once the cylinder is open. Don't even think about trying to check them by looking down the muzzle before you have opened the cylinder and verified that the gun is unloaded.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:13 PM   #7
carguychris

One more thought...

Pre- and early-WWII S&W 38 Hand Ejector / M&P's (the gun in the picture) have an internal pin that holds the hammer back when the trigger is not being pulled. This pin can fail if it's worn out or seized in the retracted position. The pin was superseded by a much more secure solid bar after a WWII Navy sailor was killed when he dropped his revolver on the hammer and the gun discharged.

If you have reason to suspect that the revolver may be a pre-1945 version, handle it with care and don't monkey with the hammer until you can verify that it's unloaded!
Old November 9, 2007, 03:28 PM   #8
carguychris

I shoulda thought of this before:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...r/Revolver.pdf

Ignore everything on pages 16-18 about the internal lock.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:43 PM   #9
22-rimfire

We all start somewhere. It is time for you to start. Print out and read the manual pdf file from the above post. Then read it again. Remember if it goes off (when loaded) it can kill you or someone else. The open the cylinder and make sure it is unloaded. Unload it if it is still loaded. Then begin handling it as if you are going to shoot it unloaded. Dry fire it and you will notice the cylinder advance to a different position with each shot. This should get you to the point of shooting it.

Go with a friend who is familiar with handguns somewhere private like out in the woods, load with regular 38spl ammo, (remember the safety rules!), let him watch you or do it for you the first time, then shoot at a stump or some inanimate object. Wear ear plugs and some eye protection. Shoot it with two hands in single action... cock the hammer manually, and then carefully shoot it. You should have already cocked the with it unloaded so this should be real easy. If the hammer does not stay locked back or something does not seem right. Don't shoot it. Take the gun to a gunsmith.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:49 PM   #10
darko

First, welcome.
Second, and I don't want to sound mean here, but barring the fact that the pistol is stuck or defective, it is pretty much common sense on how to opereate it. If you are seeking input for something as basic as this I'm thinking that you should store that weapon and seek instruction from someone with firearms training and/or experience.

28:06:42:12
Old November 9, 2007, 04:58 PM   #11
.38Catt

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp.

Please go to the NRA web site listed to find a basic firearms safty class in your area. Please treat the gun as if it were loaded and have a qualified gunsmith ensure that it is safe to fire.
Old November 9, 2007, 04:59 PM   #12
Dirty Handz

Thanks for all the replies. I know how to shoot guns it's just that I think this one is broken.

http://i10.tinypic.com/7xajw53.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/731ijqx.jpg

^^^ That's the EXACT gun, I don't know if it has what you all are talking about. I don't see a checkered area.
Old November 9, 2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Dirty Handz

LOL

Alright, I had to use a pen and I pushed that lil button to the LEFT all the way and it opened up. It was unloaded and I put 6 bullets in the chamber just because, now it's unloaded again.

How can I tell if the gun is damaged? Is having to use a pen to push that lil button to the left all the way a hint? Should I spray something on it so it'll be easier to do next time [so I won't have to use an item to open the chamber]?
Old November 9, 2007, 10:28 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I know how to shoot guns...
This statement, whether you believe it or not, is NOT compatible with asking how to open the cylinder on a revolver.

It's roughly comparable to claiming you know how to drive cars and at the same time asking how to start the car and how to make it stop once you get it going.

1. Do not handle a gun if you do not know how to safely load and unload it.

2. Do NOT EVER load a gun that you believe may be broken.

A good place to start is by downloading and reading the manual from the link provided above.

The next place to go is to have a gunsmith check out your firearm to insure that it is safe to load and fire.
Old November 9, 2007, 11:48 PM   #15
gpena

How to load it, one round at a time. Just kidding. Gabriel
Old November 10, 2007, 02:23 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Please tell us all the markings on the gun

If the gun is the S&W that you say it looks just like, then you should be able to push the cylinder latch (the checkered button on the left side of the gun) forward with your thumb. You can then swing the cylinder out to the left by pushing from the right while you hold the cylinder latch forward.

If you can't do this, or you need to use a tool to help, the gun needs to go to a gunsmith for repair. It is NOT safe to shoot until the gunsmith says it is.

Don't take chances, take it to a gunsmith before you do anything else with it.
Old November 10, 2007, 03:58 AM   #17
Dirty Handz

I got it a while back ya'll. Thanks! I had to pull the lil pin that was in the same place as the checkered box in the other pictures.

The bullets loaded well.

Ready to shoot some targets!

*Gets bullzeye every time*
Old November 10, 2007, 04:53 AM   #18
Majic

It's hard to tell by the pics you provided but if you see what you call a pin then most likely you have lost the cylinder latch. That pin you see should have a threaded hole in the middle of it and the cylinder latch attaches to it with a screw.
Old November 10, 2007, 09:01 PM   #19
Quadvet

How's the joke go... what's the last thing the dude said? "Watch this!"

LOL, I hope the barrel is clear and clean, the cylinder lines up, and the gun doesn't blow up in your hands, no lol. Be safe. Good luck.
Old November 10, 2007, 09:25 PM   #20
ZEBRARANGER

I think this guy is pulling everybody's chain...If not, he's in trouble.
Old November 11, 2007, 12:38 AM   #21
Dirty Handz

I'm not pulling anybody's chains. I really don't know much about them but I did figure out how to load the ammo in and all that.

How would I know if it's still in condition to shoot? There is no gun smiths close to me
Old November 11, 2007, 11:07 PM   #22
ZEBRARANGER

You live in big sky country & big gun country, Montana. There has to be someone near by that can check it out for you. Since you inherited this old revolver from your Grandfather and you dont know if its in working condition, and you are unfamilar with revolvers, Its not safe to assume that it will go bang, it might go Ka Booooom. , There are a few basic things that need to be looked at as mentioned in the previous posts. At least download and read the manual. that will enlighten you a little.
Old November 12, 2007, 01:53 PM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
How would I know if it's still in condition to shoot? There is no gun smiths close to me
Are there any emergency rooms close to you?

IMHO a visit to the gunsmith will be worth the trip.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:21 PM   #24
walter in florida

Old S&W

Even if it was in good condition. Start off with a mild wad-cutter ammo. There must be some one who could give you some pointers and chick the gun over. Open the gun and look down the barrel to see if you can see light. Check to see if barrel has a bulge for a starter.
Old November 15, 2007, 08:55 AM   #25
Magnum Wheel Man

... even though revolvers are pretty simple in comparision to semi auto guns, there are several things that can go "wrong", with the likelyhood of these things increased with age & use of your gun...

if there is any barrel blockage, or enough damage, corrosion, etc of the inside of the barrel, the bullet may get stuck in the barrel, firing another round will damage the gun, as a minimum, & could be fatal to the shooter...

... revolver timing... as you pull the trigger, the cylinder ( the part you put the cartridges into ) will ( or at least should ) rotate to the next chamber... this movement needs to be precise... if the bullet in the cylinder is not lined up precisely, ( all 6 as you cycle the gun through the 6 chambers on the cylinder ) at minimum, the gun will spit lead shavings out between the cylinder & barrel gap, at worst, it could be fatal to the gun & or the shooter... the older the gun, the more likely, the "timing" could be off... there are lots of spings, little connecting parts that need to have smooth clean surfaces, as well as being freely moving, if the gun looks dry, or gummy, it's likely in need of at least a good cleaning & relubricating...

from the sounds of it, you should have someone look over the gun before it's fired, any local gun shop, or pawn shop that sells guns, will have someone that can look it over to determine if it's actually safe to fire... perhaps ( unless you have a lot of sentimental attachment to the gun ), they'll say the gun is worth too much to shoot, or that they'd offer a trade for a more modern & or shootable firearm... thats not to say that yours is not shootable, but you'd hate to ruin the value of the gun, or put either the gun or your life at risk...