The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2008, 02:50 AM   #1
Playboypenguin

Range Report: Springfield Armory Loaded Champion

I finally got around to doing a range report on my new Springfield Loaded Champion. I will have to say that this is probably the best 1911 I have ever shot. I really loved it.

Form: This gun is a real beauty. The all stainless steel build and attention to detail make this a super handsome firearm. It is my idea of what a modern 1911 should look like and I love the engraved cocobolo grips.

Fit: This gun is solid with a capial S, O, L, I, and D. It is very tight yet still quite fluid. The slide racks easily and smoothly and every inch of it is very finely finished. The polished surfaces are flawless, the edges are clean and rounded, and stamping is very well done. It is very even and well defined.

Feel: The Springfield Loaded Champion was a dream to shoot. It pointed effortlessly and was the best balanced gun I have ever held (still have not shot my new Sig P229 yet though). The grips are nice and thin and fit my hand very well. The gun has a good weight to it and really soaks up recoil.

Function: The gun performed without a hitch. It handled both HP and FMJ ammo with ease and never failed to cycle a single round. There was not a single FTF or FTE. The trigger was nice and smooth and the gun never felt stiff or gritty. It cycled very smoothly despite being very tight.

The gun was also very, very accurate. I always add the disclaimer that I am not the worlds greatest shot so my targets are not an example of the best the gun can do, but just and example of the best I can do with it. It was very easy to get quick follow up shots placed accurately since the gun absorbs recoil very well. The sights seemed very accurate right out of the box (but seemed to shoot slightly to the left) and the gun felt like an extension of my own arm.

Target 1 was shot at 12 yards off-hand in a slow and deliberate manner.

Target 2 was also shot at 12 yards. Group 1 was shotoff-hand in a very fast paced manner. Group 2 (head shots) were shot off-hand in a slow and deliberate manner and I was tickled with that group (except for the one stray which I blame on the sun being in my eyes ).

Target 3 was shot at 50 feet. Group 1 was shot off-hand in a very slow and deliberate manner. Group 2 was shot at a faster pace and I was just glad the all hit the paper...four of the five shots would have ruined his day and the fifth would have scared him good.

Final impression: Overall I would definitely say this gun was worth every penny and then some. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a higher end 1911 but not wanting to spend $1100-$2000. You could spend more but, IMHO, you would not get a better gun. It is accurate, beautiful, and extremely well put together.

TARGET 1

TARGET 2

TARGET 3

Last edited by Playboypenguin; January 31, 2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old January 31, 2008, 03:45 AM   #2
packa45

Very cool and nice shooting. I got the loaded ultra compact and enjoy it. It's been reliable 100% but did take some time to break in the mags. Was never a problem with the gun itself. Love the grips and the night sights. I think SA gives you a lot of bang for your buck. That slow paced second group from 50ft is nothing to be ashamed of that's good shooting. Now get out there and shoot that Sig too. Oh what Hp rounds did you use? I've only used Federal, Speer Gold Dots, and some worthless Magtechs in my SA but all fed good. I only use the 230 gr. Gold Dots now though.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old January 31, 2008, 04:31 AM   #3
Playboypenguin

Quote:
That slow paced second group from 50ft is nothing to be ashamed of that's good shooting.
Thanks, I am usually a very impatient shooter but I took my time on this test. When I say "slow" I mean s-l-l-l-lo-o-o-o-w-w.
Quote:
Oh what Hp rounds did you use? I've only used Federal, Speer Gold Dots, and some worthless Magtechs in my SA but all fed good. I only use the 230 gr. Gold Dots now though.
I shot American Eagle 230gr FMJ and Speer GoldDot 185gr GDHP. The Speer GoldDot 230gr GDHP I what I use in my carry gun.
Old January 31, 2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Magyar

How about at least one negative so I don't feel like I'm reading a magazine review.....
Nice pistol, good shooting, and you qualify for a staff position on Guns & Ammo.....
Old January 31, 2008, 08:20 AM   #5
BudsBoy

You two need to get a motel room ---
Old January 31, 2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Officer's Match

Thanks for the update PBP. I handled a Loaded Champion a couple days ago and too was very impressed by the build and detail.
Old January 31, 2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Playboypenguin

Quote:
How about at least one negative so I don't feel like I'm reading a magazine review.....
It is almost too pretty to shoot. How abut that.

Seriously though, I did not really find any negatives. The only thing close would be the weight but if you are wanting an all stainless 1911 you have to be willing to accept the weight.

I did think the offset screw in the trigger is a bit large but that is pretty trivial.

If you want a negative gun review wait until later today. I am afraid I have one that did not turn out nearly so well.
Old January 31, 2008, 05:22 PM   #8
allenomics

Playboypenguin, what's a good price for that gun? Good shooting.
Old January 31, 2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Mr. James

My first love (well, in an autoloader) is a Springfield Champion Lightweight. Carry it whenever possible. Wonderful pistol!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old January 31, 2008, 09:02 PM   #10
vox rationis

Great report, and great looking gun...so now I have to add this one to the list! Seriously, I need to expand my plan buy "one" 1911, as the Commander size looks very appealing, and this Springfield seems to be a great alternative to my breaking the bank on a super expensive boutique 1911, Commander sized, or otherwise. I've heard that some Springfield 1911's are not made in the US (?Brazil), is the Champion line US made?
Old January 31, 2008, 09:04 PM   #11
vox rationis

Quote:
My first love (well, in an autoloader) is a Springfield Champion Lightweight. Carry it whenever possible. Wonderful pistol!
how much lighter is the, I assume, alloy framed, Lightweight?
Old January 31, 2008, 09:05 PM   #12
IdahoG36

Very nice. Looks like a good shooter too.
Old January 31, 2008, 09:06 PM   #13
Officer's Match

Playboy, that have a ramped barrel?
Old February 1, 2008, 01:27 AM   #14
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Playboy, that have a ramped barrel?
Yup.
Old February 1, 2008, 05:18 AM   #15
Playboypenguin

Quote:
is the Champion line US made?
It is made in Brazil. I have actually heard the American made SA's are not as good.
Old February 1, 2008, 09:24 PM   #16
vox rationis

Quote:
It is made in Brazil. I have actually heard the American made SA's are not as good.
very interesting! I always thought that their premier guns were US made
Old February 2, 2008, 01:19 AM   #17
Playboypenguin

Quote:
very interesting! I always thought that their premier guns were US made
You should know better...nothing good is made here anymore.
Old February 2, 2008, 07:09 AM   #18
Captain Bligh

I think all Springfield frames are forged in Brazil. Some are merely sent here for assembly.
Old February 2, 2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I think all Springfield frames are forged in Brazil. Some are merely sent here for assembly.
That might be the case here. It does say something on the slide about the USA but it is not in english.
Old February 3, 2008, 01:59 AM   #20
vox rationis

OK, I stand corrected, thanks guys. It doesn't matter where they are made really, as long as they are made well!
Old February 3, 2008, 03:28 PM   #21
Playboypenguin

They are definitely well made. I still get mine out of the safe and just hold it.
Old February 3, 2008, 09:38 PM   #22
vox rationis

Quote:
I still get mine out of the safe and just hold it.
Dry firing at the TV no doubt?
Old February 3, 2008, 11:34 PM   #23
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Dry firing at the TV no doubt?
Mostly just fondling and drooling. Not much need to dry fire SA pistols.
Old February 4, 2008, 09:03 PM   #24
vox rationis

Haha, but come on, one could still practice dry firing with SA! Some accuracy rifle shooters practice shooting their match triggered rifles by dry firing while putting a dime on the front sight and making sure the pull is smooth enough that the dime doesn't fall off!
Old February 5, 2008, 03:29 AM   #25
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Some accuracy rifle shooters practice shooting their match triggered rifles by dry firing while putting a dime on the front sight and making sure the pull is smooth enough that the dime doesn't fall off!
Those people have even less of a life than I do.