The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Redneck tree service...

We had a pine get "beetle kill" and after a year it was still too stout to fall in a storm so I decided it was time to cut it down... No chainsaw but I do have a few "boom saws" here....
It took many field load 7 1/2's in 20 and 12 gauge... Junior decided he could drop it with a dozen or so slugs... WRONG! took more field loads...
Than it was pushed over by my 18 year old knuckle dragger!

The blackness is proof that they use alot more powder in a slug!

Part of home security is to leave piles of hulls in the yard... Brave or stupid is the person that walks past this mess to break in here!

Here is a 12 gauge slug and a "remnant" recovered from the stump... in the center is pine wood... notice the 7 1/2 pellet lodged in there...
That flattened blob of lead would be a trouble maker for any living mammal...
Brent
Old February 13, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2
cxg231

Hogdogs - your posts are truly legendary. Anyone else would have thought "Hey - instead of firing all these shotshells - wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a chainsaw for an hour from the local hardware store?" Not Hogdogs!!! Blow that sucker up! I love it!

Sometimes I think that you are a caricature, that a real person as "colorful" as you can't possibly exist. But, like Santa Claus, your posts just keep on giving, so I'll continue to think you are real.

We should make a Hogdogs fan club! Who's with me!
Old February 13, 2008, 11:19 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

drive 20 miles round trip with 10mpg truck 6 bucks...
Rent saw...likely 20-40 bucks
Buy a bottle of 2 stroke oil and another gallon of gas (for 5 minutes run time) 6 bucks...
BLOW UP A TREE... PRICELESS! plus I reckon I got under 10-12 bucks in cheap shells and 6 bucks in slugs invested...
I love my guns! Anyone else like to pick up a freshly fired hull and inhale deeply?
When did the "flinch factor" go away for you? I know they go boom my ears have not stopped ringing once in 20+ years... So what i am an American and love our freedom!
Brent
Old February 14, 2008, 01:03 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

CXG, I am as real as the sunrise... BTW I lived in vegas as a wee little kid! First time I ever fired a "real gun" was in the desert 'tween vegas and sunrise mountain? The dump... area... with a .410 supported by dad's shoulder as i was to little to hold it up... Been a hooked ammo wasting redneck ever dern since!
Brent
Old February 14, 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
bclark1

Haha the powder burns are what did it for me. Going to have some hippies and an arborist come down on some CSI stuff there. Was it the beetles or a contact shot?
Old February 14, 2008, 01:40 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I waited over a year for that tree to tip over on it's own but NOOOOO....
It was shot about 6-18 times per session for a month or so each week before we decided she had to fall... That lighter knot in the center woulda held it up another 2 years! BTW... I threw away about 30-40 hulls before the pics were taken... I love that powder burn! Nary a black splotch until junior decided to waste a few boxes of slugs...
Of course we used eye protection... ear protection... impact resistant outer wear and other PPE's for these point blank gun vs. tree skirmishes... UMMMM SURE WE DID... REALLY
Brent
Old February 14, 2008, 10:19 AM   #7
c_o_jones

Quote:
Anyone else like to pick up a freshly fired hull and inhale deeply?
Only if I'm alone or with somebody.
Old February 14, 2008, 03:27 PM   #8
cxg231

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
CXG, I am as real as the sunrise... BTW I lived in vegas as a wee little kid! First time I ever fired a "real gun" was in the desert 'tween vegas and sunrise mountain? The dump... area... with a .410 supported by dad's shoulder as i was to little to hold it up...
That's a great memory of your dad! Between Vegas and Sunrise Mountain is Nellis AFB. There isn't much else there now, and I imagine when you were a wee lad it was nothing but desert as far as the eye could see!
Old February 14, 2008, 05:04 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

CXG, YUP that must be the place... we lived in NLV and i would sit on the playground watching the "Thunderbirds" PRACTICE every day they did not have to be gone for a show!
Dad Is still alive and kickin' he is 67 and holdin' a borrowed 20 ga NEF single in case a deer happens to need a trip to the big OPEN space fer deer (his freezer) or a yote pack gets his dog yappin in the middle of the night... He had to straighten up his life many-a-moon back or die so he is a non drinker non smoker (UNLIKE ME) and could out run or out think me easy I bet!

I was there from around 75-78 and there were old model t's abandoned to be gun targets... He was hoping our "found" STRAY Afghan hound would jump a 'yote but stupid me found a desert fried turtle shell and spiked her interest and threw it and that was all she searched for the rest of the afternoon so he knelt down and became my (BI-POD/BI-PED).... Glad at that tiny weight and young age it were not his LITEweight 12 gauge single....
I woulda ended up pinned to a catcus til dehydration made me happy to die in the sun!
Brent
Old February 14, 2008, 07:53 PM   #10
tplumeri

Hogdogs, lets hook up some time. I have a few dead pines im going to tape tannerite charges to......
Ill supply the trees and the charges and the ammo, you bring the beverages.
tom
Old February 14, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

i need an address to google and I am on my way! Tannerite is a cool sounding novelty but I insist we shoot it to ignite it... none of them cel phone igniter thingys!
Brent
Old February 14, 2008, 08:01 PM   #12
YukonKid

awesome, i want to do it to
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 14, 2008, 08:05 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So tell me... does tannerite have that HEAVENLY scent like a freshly fired shot shell? i mean if yes but in mass i might overdose and flop on the ground huffing the can like a crack monkey!
Brent
Old April 6, 2009, 12:17 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Just a bump so the new guys can see what junior and I can do when bored enuff...

Brent
Old April 7, 2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Housezealot

good to see I am not the last of the rednecks I gotta show this to my wife so she doesn't think I am the only nut around!
Old April 7, 2009, 10:19 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Uhm....

OK, then...

I've never cut down an entire tree with shotguns, but I have shot a couple of hanging branches loose from trees over the years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 8, 2009, 12:27 AM   #17
Mike U.

Got a call from mom last week to inform me that the pine tree I'd been stapling targets to and shooting to death finally fell over in high winds they'd been having. I used it as a target stand because it had Pine Borer Beetles infesting it. Essentially, it was a goner anyway.
That tree absorbed 9mm, .45 ACP, .22LR (many hundreds of these), half a dozen Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs, and some 00 buck.
I was planning on taking the AK up there to finish it off, but...
Old April 8, 2009, 01:36 AM   #18
KC9LDB

hahahaahaha thats great!
Old April 8, 2009, 08:30 AM   #19
RetiredLawman

For years I have used my 20 gauge to cut down small trees. A three inch tree takes three loads to fell. It is cheaper than using a chain saw. I am cleaning the hedgerows on my farm. Using Wallymart loads, I can take dwon pretty good sized brush and small trees.
Old April 8, 2009, 08:38 AM   #20
12GaugeShuggoth

I stood by and watched someone saw down a pine tree with some sort of AK once, decided it required too much ammo for me to ever want to do. Besides, I love swinging an ax.

Hogdogs, you ever shoot handgun steel spinners with a shotgun? It's fun I've been practicing my speed reloads with the old single shot Stevens 20 gauge doing that.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old April 8, 2009, 09:56 AM   #21
tango6

try a quad 50BMG mounted on an army 3/4. it will clear a LZ purty fast
Old April 8, 2009, 06:23 PM   #22
troy_mclure

my dad has a 3.5' dia oak tree on his property that is exactly 25yd from his front porch.

it has been our "sighting in tree" since '94.

its had countless 12ga slugs, .50 balls, .40, .357mag, .44mag, 7mm mag, etc...
theres probably a hundred lbs of lead in that tree!

oh, i did get in trouble once for having my 240 gunner shoot down 2 4" dia trees to breach a wire obstacle in a live fire exercise.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 8, 2009, 07:00 PM   #23
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
Part of home security is to leave piles of hulls in the yard... Brave or stupid is the person that walks past this mess to break in here!
That's an awesome idea! The LEO that lives in the apartment below me might ask me a few questions in the morning, but oh well

Seriously it really is a pretty good idea.
Old April 8, 2009, 07:10 PM   #24
Dingoboyx

Good onya Hogdogs

I like it
Old April 8, 2009, 07:23 PM   #25
freakintoguns

hogdogs, your closing in on that number 3 spot for favorite people in the world! right behind mom and dad!