The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1
3wide

LnL powder measure ?

i've read people who bought the LnL pregressive press have also purchased a different rotor for the powder measure. usually the pistol rotor. my question is, is there anything wrong with the rotor that comes with it? would it have a problem with a 5 gr throw of W231 ball powder?

Thanks
Old February 20, 2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Shoney

Nothing wrong with it at all. The accuracy will be excellent. The difference will come with the micrometer adjust inserts, as they are much easier to accurately and repeatedly dial in powder amounts as you quick changing loads.

I suggest cleaning the measure before use. Either a bafflle (which you can make out of a pop can) or low powder levels will give you better results. The problem with constant low powder, is that you have to keep adding little amounts of powder. I did the low powder for a while every 50 rounds, but finally made my own baffle.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 21, 2008, 03:32 PM   #3
DaveInGA

The purpose of the different rotors is for using different powders and different volumes of powder. The rifle rotor is significantly larger and is for dispensing large volumes of powder accurately. The pistol rotor is smaller and is for dispensing small volumes of powder accurately.

Additionally, the micrometer inserts are much more accurate than the insert that comes standard with the press.

As far as W231 goes, I always used the standard rotor for that powder.

Regards,

Dave
Old February 21, 2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Per Shoney's suggestion, I have attached a PDF file I made some time ago that has baffle templates for different powder hopper tube diameters and instructions for making the baffles.

Nick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Powder Baffle Instructions and Templates.pdf (92.6 KB, 2264 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 21, 2008, 05:05 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I bought the pistol rotor, and I have to switch back and forth between pistol and rifle, depending on whether I'm loading .45 Colts or something smaller. I really wish Hornady had made them so you could change over the adjuster without having to take the whole powder measure and all the linkage apart to change the drum. There's no reason the rifle drum couldn't accomodate a pistol measure, and it would be one less part Hornady would have to manufacture and stock.
Old February 21, 2008, 06:42 PM   #6
IMtheNRA

Pistol rotor is a must-have!

I had terrible results with W-231 and Hodgdon-110 when using the standard rotor. Charges under 10 grains were +/- 0.3 grains.

I bought the pistol rotor and a micrometer insert and now the measure works great, with an occasional +.1 grain variance. That's PLUS .1 of a grain, almost never MINUS .1