The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2009, 03:19 PM   #26
Rem#11

It has a round firing pin. Where on the barrel would I find the letter?

I see I forgot to say it has the "Checkered Stocks" and it's a 12 Gauge (added to original post).

Do they all have the flying duck on the left side and a pheasant on the ground, on the right side?

I've also run across some information about setting up the friction rings for different ammo and find that the information about the steel friction ring doesn't jive with the one I have. It notes that it's very important to install this ring correctly, but the bevel on mine is on the inside of the ring and not on the outside.

Do I measure the complete length of the barrel for length or is there some point along the assembly that I stop at? How do I tell if it's plain or matted rib barrel?

Last edited by Rem#11; February 9, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:58 PM   #27
Techsan

I know it took me a while, but here are some poor photos of the Model 11 I inherited which I believe is stainless. Let me know of you think this is some type of finish rather than stainless. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0918.jpg (257.7 KB, 1446 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0921.jpg (237.8 KB, 1201 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0922.jpg (250.7 KB, 1094 views)
Old September 24, 2009, 07:43 AM   #28
jhp-jcp

Friction Ring Type

as Rem#11 observed the FRICTION RING is different than shown in the instructions. his (and mine) are just cylinders (about 3/16~1/4 thick) on the exterior and have a bevel on the inside (one end only). the instructions show a FRICTION RING that has a cylindrical section and a conical section (external) on one end. the instructions are VERY specific on which direction the 'OUTSIDE BEVEL' faces depending on the load you are setting the gun up for. i (and probably Rem#11) would greatly appreciate knowing which way OUR FRICTION RINGS should be assembled. attached are the instructions i refer to above. thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rem_recoilring.jpg (181.8 KB, 562 views)
Old September 24, 2009, 01:59 PM   #29
Scorch

Techsan-
Someone has refinished your Model 11 in nickel. It should be very durable, but it is not original.

jhp-jcp-
The ring you are describing is a friction ring. If the bevel is on the inside, you have a Browning A5 friction ring. Friction pieces are made of bronze with a spring steel band around the outside and are used under the friction ring when firing heavy loads. Do not fire the shotgun without friction pieces as it causes the barrel extension to bottom out in the receiver, possibly damaging it. You can use Browning A5 friction pieces. Numrich Arms has some parts for your shotgun.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....U=55820-01&MC=

Last edited by Scorch; September 24, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old September 24, 2009, 02:42 PM   #30
jhp-jcp

Yes, the Friction Ring

ok, my question remains - how is this Friction Ring orientated? where do you put it for heavy/light loads? is the A5 Friction ring ok to use in the Model 11? as illustrated in the drawing i attached to my original post the model 11 Friction Ring is quite different than the A5 Ring. i already ordered one from Numrich thinking/hoping it will be the style with the bevel on the outside. there wasn't a picture but it was only $8.30 so what the heck. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old October 2, 2009, 04:03 PM   #31
Jackaldrummer

hi everyone, i just registered and i have two questions. i just was recently gifted a Remington Autoloading Shotgun with the SN: 114XXX and was wondering if anyone could tell me the date? and i was going to clean my mechanism up and leave everything else be, would it hurt if i steel wooled the rust off the barrel or would that drop the value?
Old October 5, 2009, 12:48 PM   #32
DG45

Jackaldrummer, I see you're new. Welcome to the forum. There are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who should be able to help you with your question - if they see it. I mention this because it looks like this particular thread has just about breathed its last breath. I suggest you open a new thread with your question. Just go back to the SHOTGUN FORUM, open it and look for the place entitled NEW THREAD. Click on that, think of a title for your new thread and then ask your question. That'll get everybodys attention and you'll probably get your answer.
Old January 22, 2010, 09:41 PM   #33
Cbild76

Remington Model 11

Reading about the Model 11 got me to wondering about the one I own. My father gave me this shotgun when I was a teenager. It was used for hunting pheasants and ducks for many years. I put it in the case some years ago and kept it in the closet.

The barrel has a Poly Choke on the end of it and has excessive rust. Can it be safely cleaned and used? The barrel is in good shape with no rust or pits, and the mechanics are clean.
Old January 23, 2010, 12:54 PM   #34
DG45

I own a Remington Model 11 and I know some of the history, etc. of that model, but I'm not the person to give you any advice worth taking on the rusty poly choke. There are people on this forum who can help you, but what you need to do is post a photo or two of your gun, showing the problem, if possible. Everybody loves to see pictures of Model 11s regardless of condition, and I'm sure someone will have some thoughts on what can be done.

PS. It wouldn't hurt to open a new thread with your question and the pictures.
Old January 23, 2010, 04:19 PM   #35
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

76, open a new thread and include some pics. You'll get more input that way.

11s are great shotguns. Good luck....
Old June 20, 2010, 12:23 PM   #36
stmichps

I recently found and purchase a Model 11 in 20 gauge with a intergraded poly-choke at about NRA 70% from a local gunshop. My original intent was to chop the barrel to 18-1/8" making it a home defense gun. After only paying $212 (w/tax) I didn't think I could go wrong.

My thought was that this would be the "Ideal" house gun being recoil operated not gas. Since reading a number of the threads on this forum speaking out against such I'm not to sure? I didn't count on the importance of the barrel weight in the function of the action.

I've seen Model 11s shorten before for this purpose and know of the Model 11R that was originally manufactured with a 20" inch barrel. I've seen both modifications function just fine, but I've got a 20 gauge and I'm not sure that such modification would work as well seeing that we're talking about a lighter load in comparision to a 12 gauge.

I've got to admit I am a little confuse through? One post states that the internals would take a beating by lighting up the barrel, another states that it won't cycle if the barrel is lighten to much.

If it will beat the action then I would think that would be a simple fix by buying a Browning A-5 Magnum 20 springs and friction rings kit, if the latter then come up with a compensator that actually pushes the barrel to the rear.

Which is it?

By the way! Why is it that the Model 11 doesn't fetch a price closer to the Browning A-5? I can see that the wood and finish on the 11s isn't to the same level as the A-5s but one would think that the pricing would be some what closer then what it is seeing it's a near copy of the A-5s?

Last edited by stmichps; June 20, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 10:22 AM   #37
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, $212 for a usable Model 11 is a fair price.

Secondly, any long recoil action is a balancing act between getting the rings, springs, load and barrel weight synchronized. Changing anything drastically can badly affect reliability.

IME, most polychoked barrels on old autos are already bobbed a couple inches. And since I'm no fan of lopping off barrels, I'd see how this shot and functioned with say, 3 buck and the poly set on open.

New rings and springs are a good idea. Keep the old ones as spares.

HTH....
Old June 21, 2010, 06:35 PM   #38
DG45

Ive heard the same stories about Model 11's not recycling if their barrels are shortened and can't say its not true. But I know some outlaws back in the 1930's shortened model 11's fore and aft to make what were called "whippet guns". There's a famous photo of Bonnie Parker pointing one at Clyde Barrow. I believe one was taken from the Dillinger gang too. You'd figure that if these people had been unhappy with the result of their remodelling, they'd have tossed these guns and stolen something else.

I've also heard that Model 11's won't recycle properly if they're loaded with too light a load and that they should be adjusted (a "how-to-do-it" is availiable on-line) for the type of load you shoot. I'm wondering if you adjust your gun to its heaviest load setting (meaning most drams of powder, I think, not shot size) if that would compensate for a lighter weight barrel? Or do I have that backwards?

Why the difference in prices between A-5's and Remington Model 11s? Well, Remington Model 11's were not produced after 1947 while Browning A-5's continued to be produced until about 10 years ago (I think). So, the average age of Remington Model 11's for sale today is considerably older than the average age for A-5's, even though A-5's began production in 1902 and Remington Model 11's were produced from 1905. (Well, actually, the gun Remington produced on the John Browning patent from 1905-1910 was called The Remington Autoloading Shotgun; then it was tweaked a little and called the Remington Model 11 in 1911.) The oldest Model 11's are now reaching the 100 year old age that seperates "vintage" from "antique".. When these guns start being purchased as antiques instead of as firearms, I look for their value to increase. One things for sure. There's not much downside risk in buying a $211 gun that was designed by John Moses Browning, one of this country's greatest inventors, who considered this autoloading shotgun to have been his greatest achievement.
Old September 8, 2010, 12:38 PM   #39
edgraffiti

Bumping an old thread in hopes you guys can help.

I have what I believe is a Remington Model 11 produced under the Browning patent. Serial Number is 21002.

I am trying to find out a manuf. date or even a value.

feel free to email me (replace @ for AT and . for DOT to block the spam bots)

edgraffiti AT yahoo DOT com

THANKS!
Old September 8, 2010, 10:38 PM   #40
stmichps

You'll find 2 letters on the left side of the barrel up close to where it meets the receiver and just above the forearm. This will be your date (month and year) of manufacturing, that is if the barrel is original to the rest of the gun. If the barrel is original to the gun you'll find the same number as is on the right side of the receiver on the bottom side of the barrel by the gas cylinder

Below is link to the chart with the code for dating. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/remington-f...al-numbers.htm

Here is another source that you can check with.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/foru...php?f=7&t=4463
Old December 27, 2010, 08:35 AM   #41
Huskerfan22

I'm new to this sight, and I also have a Remington Model 11 shotgun that belonged to my dad. It's still in excellent condition, although it needs to have the bluing done to it, and the last time it was fired was back in the 70s. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when this shotgun was manfactured. The serial number on it is 377573. As for a description of the shotgun, it's semi-automatic, holds 5 shells with the plug removed, and a dark colored stock with what looks like a wheat pattern engraved on it, and the butt is made of a orange colored rubber material.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:02 AM   #42
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome to the Site, Husker.

Some areas vary, but around here a standard 12 gauge Model 11 in good shape will run $200-300.

I urge you not to sell it. It's part of your heritage as well as a darn good shotgun.

HTH....
Old December 28, 2010, 10:32 AM   #43
stmichps

Huskerfan22 said:

"I was wondering if anyone could tell me when this shotgun was manfactured. The serial number on it is 377573."

Remington used a letter code system for dating their guns. The lettering on the barrel (as long as the serial matches the receiver) should date the month and year of your gun.

Here is a website where you can enter your code to see what that date is.

http://armscollectors.com/sn/remdates.php
Old January 4, 2011, 09:10 AM   #44
Huskerfan22

Model 11 Remington Shotgun

Dave McC

Thanks for welcoming me to the sight. I still can't get an answer as to when my dad's shotgun was manufactured. I've been over the barrel with a magnifying glass, and there is no letter on the barrel at all. The top of the barrel has 2 lines of printing on it. The top line shows it was manufactured by Remington Arms in Ilion, N.Y. The second line list the patent dates from Browning. The dates go from 1900 to 1906. Then on the left side of the barrel it says 12 ga. and full. The right side has the initials R.E.P., followed by an anchor. Because of this, I believe this shotgun is older than a 1923 model. Am I correct.
Old January 4, 2011, 09:42 AM   #45
stmichps

Huskerfan22 about that only thing that I can suggest then is to contact Remington Customer Service and see if they got a Archives department where they'll have that information.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:24 AM   #46
saltydog452

Pre 1909 Remington M11

Early on in this thread, mention was made of the pre 1909 Model 11.

I seem to recall that one way of dating pre vs. post 1909s was the position of the safety.

If the safety was push fwd/back within the trigger guard, kinda like the Garrand, it was pre 1909. If it was a push left/right button,it was post 1909.

I've slept since I read that pre/post 1909 marker and some of my brain cells will never recover, but do I recall correctly?

Thanks,

salty
Old January 4, 2011, 08:20 PM   #47
DG45

I checked out my Model 11's date of manufacture before I bought it used. It's serial is # 408xxx and I can't remember now if it was manufactured in 1937 or 1938, but it was one or the other, and I think it was 1938. I'd guess that a Model 11 with a serial # 377xxx was made no more than a year or two earlier than mine.

Re: the question above about the Model 11 safety in front of the trigger: My understanding from other posts I've read on this forum is that it was changed to a button behind the trigger in 1928. My gun made in 1937 or 1938 has the button safety behind the trigger. My guess is that a Model 11 with serial #377xxx does too.
Old February 18, 2011, 01:14 AM   #48
donbear

rem. mod. 11

AZG3 the pics you posted of the good Remington model 11 looks just like the one I just inherited from my grand-father on my mothers side. Myself and my older brother both hunted with it years ago. The number on the gun is 417xx and I need help to find out how old it might be. can you help me or is there someone out there who can. sign crazy cajun
Old February 18, 2011, 09:48 AM   #49
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

don, call Remington at 1-800-243-9700. Work through the phone tree until you reach a live human. That person will tell you when your shotgun was made if you give them the serial number.

HTH....
Old February 18, 2011, 01:39 PM   #50
donbear

Thanks Dave

Thank you Dave the Remington Co. said it was made in 1907.