The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 3, 2008, 03:48 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hogs dangerous? Read on...!

I had to borrow this from a hog hunting board.... but I hope it clears up the discussion of whether hogs attack or flee.... Enjoy!
Quote:
This past weekend me and 2 of my cousins and several other people made a hunt near Cat Island Wildlife refuge.We made a little walk for about 30 minutes without any luck.So my friends brought the bikes and everybody stop for some refreshments.We'll i decided to walk down to the Mississippi river edge.I had about seven cur dogs with me.This edge turns into a thingyula several hundred yards down with the Mississippi river to my rt and a slough that fills ups when the rivers real high to my left.This bank is only about 40 yds wide.So i kept walking when i smelled hog,but didnt see any tracks.I get almost to the other end,when Robbie and Arthur called on the radio, and said you gonna get wet crossing that water.It was about 100 yds across at this point.All of a sudden i heard Arthur's old cur dog Rip booger barking.When he does that it's a large hog.I called them and told to cut the bulldogs loose.Arthur has a pit named Sampson and Robbie has one name Poke.I could hear all of the cur dogs hammering.They were really baying hard.So i was getting out of the water when the curs got quiet.I could hear the catch dogs swimming in the water,so i knew they hadn't caught.I looked up and saw this huge boar running directly at me.I had no place to go.He hit me in the knees @ full speed.Then proceded to get on top of me and starting whooping my a--.I screamed he got me down,he got me down, i need help.This boar was working his way up my body coming to my head.I stuck my left arm up to block and was reaching for my knife.All of a sudden i saw Arthur's old dog Rip smacking this boar by the head.Well he decided he had enough of me and broke.Going about 50 yds when the cur dogs bayed him again.About this time my cousin Robbie's dog Poke caught.You could hear dogs getting hit.Well i got up caught my composure and started to look at my wounds.He cut my left forearm about 3 inches.So i took what was left of that shirt sleeve and made a tourniquet.Both of my legs were cut by the inside of my knees.The rt was cut about 7 inches and the left about 4 inches.I was bleeding but could tell i wasn't gonna bleed to death.Arthur and Robbie were still trying to swim through all those briars and vines.Everthing was quiet except my young cur named Bud and Arthur's strike dog Hank.It sounded like they were under the river bank.So i started to go to them.I was afraid Poke was locked on and was gonna drown.I met up with Arthur and we got to were we thought the dogs were.We came upon Rip with a cut @ least 12 inches down his rt rib cage.Then my girlfriends dog Jasmine with her rt achilles tendon completely cut.I got to the river's edge i could hear Bud and Hank in the river still barking but sounded like they was drowning.It was extremely foggy and you couldnt see far.I pulled out my garmin astro tracker and tracked Bud to 47 yds straight out in the river.We could hear the dogs going down current in the river.It got quiet.I told Arthur we just lost our dogs.I started to panick,Bud is my favorite dog.One you can't replace.He is not a finished dog,just a very smart dog with a great handle.I started calling for Bud and Hank. Arthur was going down stream,trying to locate the dogs.A few minutes later Arthur called said Bud is on the bank and he is not hurt.So i called him and told Arthur i was going to try to find a place to cross.I called my friends on the bikes and informed them too.Well ED (leaseholder) said he was going to get me a boat.I figured by the time he got to me i could find a place to cross.I went about 200 yds when he got back.So i carried JASMINE to the boat and loaded up my other 2.ED had to get in the water and push me across.Well i got to my bike,loaded up my dogs and headed to my truck.It was about a 20 minute ride.Another one of my friends Wesley help me load my dogs and bike .It's a 20 minute ride on a rough a-- road before i could get cell phone service.I called my girlfriend and explained what happened.Told her that her dog needed surgery and i needed to get stitched up.Well it's about 1 1/2 ride from were all this happened to the nearest hospital.She got to the hospital and informed them what happened.The hospital called a ambulance to meet me on the road.So after all this i ended up with 28 external stitches and 2 sore legs.Jasmine had surgery and the vet stated he repaired her achilles tendon.Arthur and Robbie stapled up the rest of the dogs.Robbies dog POKE ended up cut all over,but he should make it.
What's ironic about this story is last year RIP disappeared from Arthur's house.The pound picked him up miles from his house without a collar.I found him there and brought him back to Arthur.You should have seen him when a loaded him up.Old RIP was barking all the way home.I 'm free ,I'm free.Old boy we're even now, i saved your life once and you saved mine.I've Thanked my lord and SAVIOR several times this weekend for that dog.He is not through with either one of us.Sorry for the long read but it's one hella of a story.
Hog doggin' is fun but their is risk for all involved... this is why I suggest substantial rounds for those not wanting to get the horn...
Brent
Old March 3, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
castnblast

I think that sums it up pretty good...That's why I like to use guns & bows...the knives are only as a LAST RESORT...
Old March 3, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have 2 reasons I don't allow guns on a hog doggin' hunt.
First is the dogs... since we intend to take the hog alive, the guys involved are not some paying "hunter" with just a rifle to carry. It gets done that way but them guys don't use catch dogs and they hunt high ground area mostly.
I know of only one guy in over 3 years that carries. He carries a .40 cal auto. He doesn't own dogs and can lay back and only has it for just such a situation.
The OTHER reason is FELONY... I have yet to find a dog that can read them "NO TRESPASSING" signs. Hogs use all kind of tricks to shake a dog and one is to "Haul The Mail" to the next county. Once we finally get to the caught hog it is often easier to pick a different route out of the land we end up on so leaving your piece on a fence is not responsible.
in many states you could face felony armed trespass charges.
In the above true story no one (some pro maybe coulda) could have drawn and fired on that charging hog... I carry a Buck 110 in my hip pocket so it woulda been hard to grab. I usually am seeing a big hog wrecking dogs and use it to go in and "stick and git" the fight is over and the dogs are no longer at risk...
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 09:34 AM   #4
wun_8_seven

why is it the coon hunters and hogdogers think it's alright to trespass on other peoples property? i've had them tell me the same thing you said " dogs can't read no trespass signs" but you can ,keep your dogs off my land.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:01 AM   #5
45Marlin carbine

yes hogs CAN be dangerous and the big ones unless well hit are hard to drop. and they will charge you if cornered or pressed, it's (IMO) a sort of 'last resort' for them but they will do it. particularly an older large male. the Germans and Russkis hunted 'em off horseback for a reason.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:24 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

How exactly do you expect us to "keep our dogs off your land"?
While I have had to retrieve my dogs off another's land and many I know have too... Often times permission is asked and often a new spot is gotten once the farmer/land owner sees that we actually can be the best may to keep hogs off their land. A dog is trained to stop and bay a hog. if the hog that gets scented already has a 4-500 yard head start it is easy for that hog to cross a property line well before the dogs get to catch up to it and stop it. Unless you are a lease owner you don't want them feral hogs on your place.
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 11:37 AM   #7
davlandrum

HogDog -

Do you think the hogs might be more agressive because the dogs are involved?

I am a complete novice at hog hunting, only been one time. But the situation we were in - no dogs, just guys with guns - the pigs were just scrambling like mad to get out of dodge. I said before, it was like a quail hunt, walk up to the bushes and kick around and then all heck would break loose as hogs went everywhere.

Other factor for us was there were no BIG hogs, biggest was 150, rest were around 80 lbs.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 4, 2008, 12:25 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes the presence of the dogs will increase the fight of a hog. But so will a shot that don't DRT a hog.
Also give them 150# respect too. A 65 pounder went 'tween juniors legs and in one snort and slash moment jut his jeans from the knee th the nads (he thought he got neutered) A 150# hog can easily have 1.5-2 inches of ivoryto use.
If a sow in heat is present it is also likely that any hog encountered could be more aggressive with or without the dogs pressuring them.
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 01:14 PM   #9
wun_8_seven

i don't care how you keep them off my land just do it! if your dogs come around my cattle they die, if you cross my property to follow your dogs you go to jail. if you can't keep them off my property don't let them off the leash.
Old March 4, 2008, 01:24 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

187, you are the other reason I don't carry a gun! If you tried that crap in florida I would have you in court so fast and charged with crimes and you WILL pay me what ever I tell the court the dog/s and their off spring would be worth...
If you don't have physical proof (wounds) on your live stock you stand no chance against me and the DA!
If you do have live stock than you know that several diseases can be spread by feral swine. You also know that they are destructive to YOUR fences, pastures, crops etc... My bulldogs would love to try a bigger challenge like a ton-o-bull but they remain on lead until the hog is bayed solid. I can't talk for coon hunters. I am a nuisance hog hunter. And I hunt nuisance hogs...LOL
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 01:34 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One more point to ponder... You will lose the gun at least until after you are found guilty, and if you spout off at the mouth in front the cop investigating it you will likely face a felony (if not already just for shooting the dog/s) which as we all know will inhibit your ability to own guns...
I don not damage fences either so don't blame that on me...
Back to the original post subject, Hogs are dangerous...
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 01:45 PM   #12
wun_8_seven

well, in oklahoma i'll shoot your dogs and have you arrested and you'll pay me for any damage done. in this state you don't step foot on another persons property with out written permission. if i want someones help with hog problems i'll ask them other wise stay out.

btw i'm the only male member of my family that isn't an leo, trust me what i say i say from experiance. if florida lets you trample on other peoples property rights thats one thing , don't try it here:barf:
Old March 4, 2008, 01:54 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I could get a ticket for tresspass... even be held at gunpoint til LEO arrive here in florida but unless my property (dogs) has done damage to yours it is not legal to shoot it. Like I also said one person is usually heading by public access to land owners home to verify we can remove our dogs and they also get offered the hog if they choose to take it and I will even quarter it for them. Actually it has gotten me and those I know (including okies) hunting spots. More than one farmer has said... "Man I was wonderin' who I should call to rid of them damn hogs."
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 02:01 PM   #14
ActivShootr

What is wrong with someone walking across your land to retrieve dogs or lost game? As long as they are not destroying property or livestock, no harm whatsoever is done other than you getting your feelings hurt. I hope you shoot someones dog one day for no reason and face every possible penalty of the law. Don't be such a tool.

That hog huntin sure is dangerous.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:26 PM   #15
wun_8_seven

yeah that sounds good til they climb your fence and push it down, thier dogs chase your cows til they die of heat exhaustion that would be like me taking $600-$1500 out of your wallet and saying don't be a tool i was just havin fun.

whats so hard to understand i don't come in your house and break your furniture and still from your wallet don't do it to mine.

if they come to my door ask to retrieve thier dog or game i will usually go with them. but when a dog chases my cattle or goats time after time with me asking them to keep off my property. you'll loose your dog before i will let them kill my livestock.

the point is why do they think they have the right? i don't have a right to enter your house and eat your food just because i'm hungry.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:35 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well if'n they wuz hog hunting than they had junk dogs. I don't "push down" nor cut fences. I have seen an 18 year old kid toss his bull dog over the fence of a cattle pasture he had permission to remove hogs and watched that dog ran into the middle of the cattle and cut out a pig and catch him... cows just gave the dog some room to work. I have also seen a hog run thru cattle with 4 bay dogs on his tail and they left the cattle alone. We fear our dogs "trashin' " on a cow cuz the burros will trash one, so we trash break our dogs pretty hard. And if one of my dogs causes ANY farmer a loss I will buy that cow and turn it into hamburger. I would rather buy a dead cow than spend a ton to buy a dog than another ton to the vet and the dog still died from a hog hunting injury... never ate a dog...
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 08:21 PM   #17
North Texan

Quote:
Do you think the hogs might be more agressive because the dogs are involved?

I am a complete novice at hog hunting, only been one time. But the situation we were in - no dogs, just guys with guns - the pigs were just scrambling like mad to get out of dodge. I said before, it was like a quail hunt, walk up to the bushes and kick around and then all heck would break loose as hogs went everywhere.

Other factor for us was there were no BIG hogs, biggest was 150, rest were around 80 lbs.
That's been my experience for the most part, even with bigger hogs and sows with piglets.

I've even used my dog to catch piglets and make them squeal in hopes the sow will show back up so I can take her out. Most of them never look back and just keep hauling ham.

I guess the one difference is the hogs I'm after aren't trapped. They are free to run until the bullet hits. With dogs surrounding them, they probably feel cornered.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:39 PM   #18
FrontSight

Dayum wun..you sure don't make your state sound like a fun or friendly place to visit...and I'm from NY! Feral dogs is one thing, hunting dogs that got away are another...have you shot dogs that were harrassing your cattle in the past?
Old March 4, 2008, 08:44 PM   #19
wun_8_seven

Quote:
have you shot dogs that were harrassing your cattle in the past?
yep
Old March 4, 2008, 08:47 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And my dogs wear an orange collar with my name and phone number as required by state and a tracking collar for bay dogs and the bulldogs will be wearing a 4 inch "cut collar" and possibly a "cut vest" both the equivalent of body armor on a LEO so no mistaking them as just a feral dog.
I know some ol' hog huntin' hands in oklahoma that you wouldn't want to tell you just shot their dogs...:barf:
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 09:35 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pics added...

Here ya'll go...
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...1204662853.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...1204666455.jpg
Lets see if they show up...
Brent
Old March 4, 2008, 11:46 PM   #22
Dave R

Yep. They show up. Pretty gruesome.
Old March 5, 2008, 12:33 AM   #23
stephen426

Ouch... That must have hurt! If a pig was charging, what would be better? Slugs or 000 buck? At that point, its not about the meat... Its about YOUR HIDE!!!
Old March 5, 2008, 06:23 AM   #24
Double Naught Spy

I don't know that it clears up the discussion on whehter hogs attack or flee as they do both (I have only seen the latter), but it fully verifies the potential risk involved.

Here is a statement I made on THR in a discussion on the myth of hogs being dangerous.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...highlight=hogs
Quote:
I would guess that most of you who are claiming that it is a myth that hogs are dangerous game have never been downed by a hog.
Thanks for the post hogdogs. You seem fairly fortunate for a guy where a hog has gotten you down on the ground.
Old March 5, 2008, 08:45 AM   #25
Hawg

A sow with young will attack unprovoked. I saw a buddy of mine once hit a hog with a 30-30. It charged him and he had nowhere to go. He just stood there cranking rounds out of that 30-30. He hit it six times. The last one went through the brain and it fell dead at his feet. It happened real fast. I had a 30-06 but my buddy was in my line of fire. By the time I moved enough to do any good it was all over.