The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
crobar

Taurus quality

I just purchased a Taurus 4410 which is their fairly new 410/45 Colt revolver. I took a chance on Taurus because they are the only ones with this type of gun. (As far as I know.) I inspected it with a 5 power loupe and was surprised in two ways - One is that the overall fit, finish and action was better than I expected. The second was that I found two areas that had what I would call "metallergic flaws". The front edge of the cylinder had two obvious pockets of missing metal. The largest was easily visible with the naked eye and approximately 1/8" in length 1/16" in width and 1/16" in the deepest part of the crater. Also the front plastic (hi-viz) light tube would not stay put and was lost somewhere in my wife's easy chair as she was checking the gun out.
I have never seen this type of flaw in any of my Colt & S&W revolvers. The front sight problem is an easy fix but I was uncomfortable with the pockets of missing metal. If there are pockets on the outside of the cylinder what is to say there aren't pockets on the inside of the cylinder which could easily be a safety issue? We returned the gun and our money was refunded. I would still recommend Taurus but would advise a closer than normal inspection. This gun by the way came from China. I assume that the parts are made in Brazil and then shipped to China for final assembly.
Old March 15, 2008, 08:57 PM   #2
MrTuffPaws

Did you get a pic of the flaw in the cylinder? Taurus does put markings on the cylinder face, and I was wondering if you mistook one for the flaw?
Old March 15, 2008, 10:46 PM   #4
B.N.Real

Uh..return that handgun.

Heck,I'd go to the gun store that sold it to you and see what they say.

Taurus should replace it free if it's that bad.

All the 'stuff' you read about Taurus taints the fact that they really do care about customers and the guns they sell.
Old March 15, 2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Hagar the Republican

I hate to say it, but Taurus Customer Service is just as bad as their quality control these days. "Lifetime Warranty" means you can keep sending it back for life. Someday they might actually correct the problem, but they really don't seem to care anymore. I learned my lesson the hard way. I'll never buy another.
Old March 16, 2008, 02:18 AM   #6
Ifishsum

I have 4 Taurus revolvers and had to send one back. My experience was that their customer service does not seem great over the phone and did not give me a lot of confidence, but my dealer send it back for me and I had it back in less than 4 weeks, fixed up right.
Old March 16, 2008, 06:57 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I learned my lesson the hard way. I'll never buy another.
Amen.
Old March 16, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
crobar

Taurus reject

There was an inspection stamp on the cylinder but the "pockets" I referred to were verified by the dealer as major tooling marks. They looked like voids in the metal to me but if it is a turned cylinder then they are likely physical damage. They dealer didn't hesitate to return my money and he will deal with Taurus. Like a knuckle head I didn't think to take pics.

Last edited by crobar; March 16, 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: grammar
Old March 17, 2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Mark Milton

I once owned a Smith that had a big chip out of the front of the cylinder. It was a new gun too.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:19 PM   #10
crobar

It must certainly be true that every manufacturer has a blip on occasion. I used to work for a large electronics company and every once in a while something would get through the cracks. I imagine that Taurus will take note of this fault and take steps to prevent it in the future.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
It must certainly be true that every manufacturer has a blip on occasion. I used to work for a large electronics company and every once in a while something would get through the cracks. I imagine that Taurus will take note of this fault and take steps to prevent it in the future.
I wish I had faith in Taurus to correct the issues with their QA. The forcing cone issue with some of their revolvers has yet to be corrected.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:51 PM   #12
raveneap

I've owned a number of Taurus handguns over the past few years, both revolvers and semi's. The only problem I've had was that the action on a .17 HMR tracker was a litle rough in double action and a few minutes polishing took care of that. As has been said, every manufacturer can produce a lemon now and then. I just had to return a brand new SW because the thumb latch action was rough and the cylinder wouldn't open at times. They immediately repaired and returned it. And paid shipping both ways. But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Taurus if one should catch my eye. As far as Taurus' customer service, I had much better luck calling them then emailing.
NRA/C&R/CCW
Old March 17, 2008, 05:52 PM   #13
drail

Back in the dark ages (when S&W built high quality stuff) I would advise customers to buy a S&W if it was in their budget. Having seen what S&W is currently producing, I don't think the difference is as much as it used to be, especially when considering the cost difference. For a person desiring a revolver for a reasonable price, Taurus will probably meet their needs. Prices on new S&W revolvers have gotten pretty ridiculous IMO.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:52 PM   #14
rabbitgun

A Chinese Taurus.....

I don't think the chinese workers appreciate having their Q&A being shared with or compared to much of anything coming from...Well, you fill in the blank.

Last edited by rabbitgun; March 17, 2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:06 PM   #15
woodsltc

Taurus Quality

Taurus Quality ------ now thats an "Oxymoron" !!!