The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old March 27, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1
ForneyRider

AEY ammunition shutdown

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080327/...mmunition_dc_2

Ya'll know any more about this?
Old March 27, 2008, 05:24 PM   #2
cosmolinelover

Here's a larger article about it I read today. Sorry but its from the NY times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/wo...in&oref=slogin
Old March 27, 2008, 05:37 PM   #3
azredhawk44

If any of that decades old ammunition shoots anything like Hungarian Heavy Ball 7.62x54R in my 91/30 Mosin, the Afghanis have a lot more to worry about than their ammunition supply.

I can drill a pumpkin from 250 yards, with iron sights, with the above setup. Consistently, repeatedly.
Old March 27, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
cosmolinelover

I second that red hawk--- did you see the price they paid? $22 per lot of 1000 7.62 x 39mm! Even if it is less than the best ammunition by todays standards, I'd gladly pay double that price for ammo to bring my AKs back to life.

I fondly recall the 'good ole days' of just a few years ago when ammoman.com had cases (1000 rds) shipped for $84..... now we're 'lucky' if we can find the same ammo for double that price (+ shipping!).

Ugh.

Of course this is why I have 10/22s.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:09 AM   #5
pitz96

But the weird part of this story is that the US government gives this young guy a $300 million dollar contract to supply ammunition to the Afghan army, and it seems to to be the same kind of old ammo routinely destroyed when found by US forces in Iraq. Why not just send that over to Afghanistan? Easier to pay a guy in Miami and route the stuff through Albania?
Old March 28, 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
azredhawk44

Quote:
But the weird part of this story is that the US government gives this young guy a $300 million dollar contract to supply ammunition to the Afghan army, and it seems to to be the same kind of old ammo routinely destroyed when found by US forces in Iraq. Why not just send that over to Afghanistan? Easier to pay a guy in Miami and route the stuff through Albania?
Stuff on the surplus market has been under some sort of military control and "quality control" procedures.

Stuff on the battlefield could very well be booby trapped. Cartridges filled with C-4 instead of propellant. Duds. Whatever.

Also, soldiers need to fight, not run convoys of suspect weaponry to allies.