The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
the_pragmaticist

Polish that feed ramp!

I've been having increasing feed issues with jhp in my 1911 (springfield SS champion loaded), to the point where I had switched to ball rounds for carry while I found a solution. Wilson magazines didn't really improve things (though 1 more round is always nice).

The feed ramp never looked bad and never felt rough, but I am no gunsmith. I decided to polish it using a dremel, with a small cloth wheel and some buffing compound at medium speed. I was amazed at how much it actually cleaned up - shines like a mirror now. I also noted that the rounds sort of slide up the frame under the feed ramp before they actually hit the ramp - this area was noticeably rough and it had some particulate (lead / copper) buildup as well. In went the dremel, now that area shines too.

Long and the short is, now it feeds so reliably that I regret not doing this months ago. The gun would feed 49 out of 50 or so during firing but almost every manual rack would jam and require some futzing. Now it doesn't even require a slingshot - just releasing the slide will cause it to feed correctly even with JHP. If anyone is having feeding issues with a 1911, though it has been said before, definitely give this a shot. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

(ps....you can also remove "idiot marks" from the takedown lever with a buffing wheel, provided they're not too deep)
Old July 14, 2008, 01:12 PM   #2
xrocket

Congratulations on your fix.

Many years ago I learned a secret from a very wise gunsmith. Ninety-nine percent of the failure to feed issues in any regular production automatic pistol can be cured with a ramp and throat polish. Since that time new or used there are two steps I follow religiously. The first is to disassemble, completely clean and re-lube a pistol before use. The second, while disassembled is to polish the feed ramp, throat and any sharp edges or burrs inside the barrel and battery. To this day I have never experience a failure to feed in any pistol I own and shoot.

For the record, in my opinion there isn't a mass produced pistol that comes off an assembly line that I consider truly finished. Low production bench made pistols should already have this work done and tested to proven results for the price they ask for and people pay.

Good shooting.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Logs

Even 1 out of 50 still hanging up would be a problem to me. I have three 1911's, Norinco, Springfield, RIA and with factory ammo they are all 100% and I have never touched the ramp. Still sounds like you may have other issues.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
tomh1426

I had a Springfield GI that wouldnt reliably feed no matter what mag or ammo I tried.
I thought it might need to be "broken in" but it never got better so I sent it to Springfield.
When I got it back it worked ok, I ended up selling it soon after.
Old July 14, 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Magyar

Quote:
this area was noticeably rough and it had some particulate (lead / copper) buildup as well.
In your case, a polishing would help...
Quote:
you can also remove "idiot marks" from the takedown lever with a buffing wheel, provided they're not too deep
I wouldn't recommend this with a blued gun..
Old July 14, 2008, 02:03 PM   #6
RickB

I've had much better results from polishing the breechface than the feedramp. The bullets essentially bounce off the frame when shooting, rather than sliding along the surface, so the angle and shape is more important than the surface finish. Also, assuming the shape and angle are correct (not always a valid assumption, unfortunately), do not remove any more material than necessary to clean-up major tool marks. Do not polish an aluminum frame, as it will remove the protective coating; the bare aluminum will not hold up to the sharp, hard edges of hollowpoint bullets.
Old July 14, 2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Pictures of the work?
Old July 14, 2008, 03:11 PM   #8
the_pragmaticist

I was unclear - one out of 50 was the failure rate -before- polishing, and I agree that 5% failure is wholesale failure. I've had no issues since the polish in a couple hundred rounds, thus it seems to be a success. This pistol is unfinished stainless...I doubt polish and bluing get along at all. I did touch up the breech while I was in there but it actually looked pretty good after just cleaning with a metal bore brush and some pads.

I'll get the camera out this evening.
Old July 14, 2008, 04:02 PM   #9
LHB1

Be careful doing a "throat and polish" job. A little bit goes a LONG way and too much at the wrong place or angle can ruin a barrel or a frame. Just a few of the dangers (not necessarily all):
1. Don't change the angle of feed ramp.
2. Don't shorten the gap between top of frame and bottom rear edge of barrel.
3. Don't round the edge too much where the barrel throat changes angle and becomes the barrel chamber.
4. Don't polish thru the anodized surface of aluminum frame.
Old July 14, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
the_pragmaticist

Pics...

As requested. I am not PBP, nor do I have his photo skills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feedrampsideSmall.jpg (49.9 KB, 1061 views)
File Type: jpg feedramptopSmall.jpg (46.0 KB, 983 views)
File Type: jpg sa1911champSmall.jpg (76.5 KB, 934 views)
Old July 14, 2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That is shiny
Old July 14, 2008, 08:45 PM   #12
stinger

I'm glad it worked out for you. It always makes me nervous when someone says they "dremeled" a feed ramp. To me it is like the phrase, "hey, I can do that, hold my beer."

I'd personally try some very fine steel wool first and be very gentle. Actually, knowing what I know now, I would just take it to someone more qualified than myself.
Old July 14, 2008, 09:09 PM   #13
ImDisaster

Quote:
It always makes me nervous when someone says they "dremeled" a feed ramp.
Actually, you can go quite slow with a dremel tool...as long as you use the right one. The best way to polish is with a polishing wheel and a fine compound...it will remove very little material.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:27 PM   #14
packa45

My loaded Ultra Compact was the same way. The mags needed to be broke in a little and I polished the feed ramp up some same way as you. They are very tight from the factory. Sometimes just hitting the slide release would make the round nosedrive down into the ramp. Slingshotting the slide didn't do this however.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.