The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 11, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Oquirrh

Uberti 1873 Cap and ball?

I saw a Uberti SA in a shop that had a cap-and-ball cylinder in it with the injector rod.

Was that a standard model and is it possible to drop a cartridge cylinder into it? It was $170, which seems a fair price. It's got a steel fram and is .44 caliber.

Update: Googling, i discovered that Uberti did a special run of the 1873 Cattleman with a cap and ball cylinder for the UK market.

Update 2: Read some postings on this forum, it sounds like a loser.
Old September 11, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Hawg

Quote:
Was that a standard model and is it possible to drop a cartridge cylinder into it? It was $170, which seems a fair price. It's got a steel fram and is .44 caliber.
You can drop a cartridge cylinder into it but it won't work. The firing pin is offset. The cylinder has to be removed for loading. Good price for it tho.
Old September 11, 2008, 05:54 PM   #3
mykeal

It's actually a fine shooter, but like anything that's a compromise modified to be something it's not, it has a few shortcomings. Having to remove the cylinder to load it is one; cap shedding is another.

But it's pretty true to the original in terms of balance, aim and pointing. Feels good in the hand and shoots pretty true to POA.
Old September 11, 2008, 06:26 PM   #4
rogertc1

I got one new from Cabelas a few month back with the brass grip frame for $250 sent to my door. They cleared out of them. As beautiful as my Uberti 45's. I just could't resist such a deal.
Old September 11, 2008, 08:52 PM   #5
w_houle

I would think the BP version wouldn't be a simple conversion to cartridge by just switching cylinders. The BATFE would categorize it as a smokeless handgun if all it took was a switch. I know that it seems like a paradox, considering that the 1851 and the 1860 just takes a conversion cylinder to fire cartridges. It's just a matter of what it's suppose to be. If the smokeless cylinder fits, then it's just a matter of making the hammer hit the primer. It the hammer doesn't hit the primer, then it's just a matter of making one that will hit the primer. So making this gun fire cartridges may be a possibility, but it is going to take effort.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Raider2000

As fine as these revolvers are I couldn't bring my self to buy one, mostly because of it's short comings but also because it's a paradox in it's self.

A Revolver designed for cartridges but reverse engineered to fire Cap & Ball.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:34 PM   #7
mykeal

W_houle - you're right, the conversion is possible but difficult, requiring modification of the hammer, frame and possibly even the barrel. The hammer has a firing 'pin' that's offset to the gun's right; the pin fits through a hole in the frame that's also offset. The percussion cylinder is indexed so that the nipple is under that hole instead of the center of the barrel when the cylinder is in battery. I'm not sure, but I believe the barrel also has a slight offset to match the chamber/nipple lineup with the hole in the frame.

Old September 12, 2008, 12:23 AM   #8
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Update 2: Read some postings on this forum, it sounds like a loser.
The only loser is one who didn't buy a $395 New 1873BP Uberti for $170 ya lost a chance for a good deal.
I just purchased a Pietta 1873BP 4 5/8"bbl w/seven xtra cylinders and a belt/holster/pouches for a very good price. My Uberti is a 7 1/2" bbl ... this one is extremely accurate and the caps do not jam in the frame/cyl.
To convert one is not complicated. You drill out that hole that you see outlined where the firing pin where the offset BP cyl. strikes install a bushing. The Uberti firing pin as it has a drift pin holding it to the hammer you can buy the Uberti .45 firing pin and install it. Buy the Uberti .44 cylinder, fit it to the frame as the bushing end may need trimming. There are two Uberti Cylinder lengths, first run were longer at forward bushing area. I can confirm that one that I know of has been done. Is better to buy the Uberti Cattleman in .45 Colt if you want the cartridge gun.
And that's about all I know about them.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old September 13, 2008, 05:20 PM   #9
DrLaw

Quote:
I saw a Uberti SA in a shop that had a cap-and-ball cylinder in it with the injector rod.
The injector rod is for injecting marinades and flavoring into hollow point conicals. This way you can have some 'Western' flavor if you prefer the old west. Or, throw in some pepper and cayenne for some Cajun seasoning. Garlic if you are from New York or Jersey.

We know you meant Ejector Rod.

The Doc is just messing with you.
Old September 15, 2008, 01:25 AM   #10
Oquirrh

Quote:
We know you meant Ejector Rod.
Duh!

Quote:
The only loser is one who didn't buy a $395 New 1873BP Uberti for $170 ya lost a chance for a good deal.
Smokin_Gun: Yes, it's a good deal--but the whole C&B retrofit w/ non-functioning EJECTOR rod idea gives me the creeps. To me, droppin' bucks on something I shoot once or twice just isn't worth it. IMHO and with due respect.

The same shop had a used 1872 Cattleman cartridge version for $270. If I could beat the wolves back from my door -- maybe.

Besides, I'm enjoying the heck out of my conventional c&bs and can't get enough range time as it is.
Old September 18, 2008, 09:41 AM   #11
simonkenton

Historically speaking, it is Bizarro Gun, it is a gun that never existed.
But I got a deal on one online a few years back, not as good as $170, but a good deal, and I bought it.
NIB, never had been fired.
I really like this gun. It has the 5 1/2 inch barrel.
I removed the ejector apparatus, it serves no purpose.
With that weight gone the gun handles really well.
The fit and finish of this pistol are second to none.
I haven't had a problem with caps falling off.
Old September 18, 2008, 12:01 PM   #12
sundance44s

I think they produced these pistols for our friends in the UK that lost their right to bear cartridges .
Old September 20, 2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Smokin_Gun

Sundance you are quite right... Only the Fad caught on here and Europe and they were greatly desired for a spell. ASM , Pietta, and Uberti made masses of them...and were selling at the rate 0f $395 for the Uberti. And made with accuracy in mind Uberti 7.5" surely did right by me...and the Pietta 4 5/8" I have w/ 7 xtra cylinders w/pouches and holster rig. I never have to reload all day...

Quote:
non-functioning EJECTOR rod idea gives me the creeps
By the way the ejector rod is a funtioning one on the 1873BP's ... works just like the Cart. SAA does ... and shoots like one too. In time if not already these revs will be sought by 3rd Gen Rev collectors.

Can't see how a prestine 1873 SAA would give anyone the creeps, still stratchin' my head on that one.

SG
Old September 20, 2008, 08:52 PM   #14
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Gun
Can't see how a prestine 1873 SAA would give anyone the creeps, still stratchin' my head on that one.

SG
I'm with ya on that one, they are fine looking pieces & had one in my hands last year at the local Gander Mountain but the only thing that kept me from buying one was that I would have to have the cylinder loading stand in order to load it & I thought it was a bit silly.

I totally understand our Brothers on the other side of the pond where this would appeal to them & for the most part this is as close to the real cartridge firing piece that they can get to.
Old September 20, 2008, 11:23 PM   #15
Jbar4Ranch

I bought one of these used several years ago, fitted a .45 Colt cylinder and firing pin out of my parts box to it, then egged out the hole in the recoil shield a bit to the side so the firing pin would go through it. I stepped outside, stuck three shells in the cylinder and touched it off. The recoil felt a bit more than I thought it should be so I stopped after the first shot and checked the cylinder. The first thing I noticed was there was no primer in the shell under the loading gate... and none in the other two either, and all three were empty...? Near as I can figure, the primers were blown out on firing and swaged themselves through the oversized hole in the recoil shield with the gases blowing back through the hole, recocking the hammer, rotating the cylinder, and dropping the hammer on the next round as long as the trigger was held back.
I reinstalled the original firing pin and cylinder and left it as a C&B from there on out. If the recoil shield were welded up and a new firing pin hole drilled, I'm sure such a conversion would work just fine.

SASS 47015
Old September 21, 2008, 01:34 AM   #16
Hawg

A revolver going full auto. Now that's something you don't hear every day. It's a wonder it didn't trash the hand and bolt.
Old September 21, 2008, 12:58 PM   #17
Smokin_Gun

Hawg if ya look at the back view of Mykeals fantastic pics, you'll see a circular indent/cutout where the slot for the firing pin(precussion)is. On a Cart. SSA Uberti that hole is a metal bushing with a centered hole fot the pointed primer firingpin...all needs to be done with the pictured is drilled out and bushing pressed/staked in place. I'll take it...he was lucky, hammer saved the eyes.

SG
Old September 21, 2008, 02:28 PM   #18
Hawg

I've got two Uberti 44-40's and neither has a firing pin bushing. Just a tapered hole in the frame. Colt's do have a bushing but Uberti's do not. It's possible to have a Colt bushing installed in a Uberti but it's a gunsmith job to do it.
Old September 21, 2008, 10:52 PM   #19
Smokin_Gun

That's quite correct Hawg, unless you work on your own Guns...that would make me the Gunsmith working on my own 1873BP Uberti or Pietta. And if I were workin' on that gentleman's with the blown out frame where the hammer struck the primers...I would do as I said above as a gunsmith and drill out the marked area of the Uberti viewed from the hammer side and insert/install a bushing, as I stated, in that hole and have it shoot as a standard Uberti SAA Cart. Gun...Just like an 1873 SAA Colt.

SG
Old September 21, 2008, 11:03 PM   #20
Jbar4Ranch

A threaded, pinned, or staked bushing would probably work just fine... hmmm.

As a BP gun, mine still works perfectly, but I like the bushing idea.

SASS 47015
Old September 24, 2008, 03:03 AM   #21
Smokin_Gun

You'd either need to do an interfrence fit...chill bushing in LN2, heat frame with industrial strength heatgun. Press in...or what you suggested. Fit check, mark CL drill out install. Just order a firing pin and a .45 Colt Cyl. for mine andwill send it when yur ready...post proof test...HeeHee! I have not mill or drill press. So the Uberti stays stock.

Let me know how it goes...you know it seems like your hammer perferate the primers, or did they blow/back out? ie loose pockets.

SG
Old September 24, 2008, 07:53 AM   #22
Jbar4Ranch

Never found the primers.

SASS 47015
Old September 24, 2008, 01:08 PM   #23
Smokin_Gun

Ohhhh?

I'm a thinkin' and that's always dangerous...
What did you use for powder again? and what make cases and primers?
(ex: W-W cases Win. Lg. Pistol Primers) Not Magnums?
Shunt a blown 3 primers out unless the firing pin was too long and punctured the Primers. Powder blast went out the rear drivin' the primers intp the frame...It's my best guess.

SG

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; September 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old September 24, 2008, 09:59 PM   #24
Jbar4Ranch

I've got no idea. That's been a few years and many thousands of rounds ago. It certainly would have been standard primers and probably Unique with a 250 grain cast RFN bullet.

SASS 47015
Old September 24, 2008, 11:40 PM   #25
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
probably Unique
There's yur answer...had you tried Black Powder before the Unique?
If there was a forcing cone to cylinder alignment it may have shone up with the Holy Black, cause a the SAA cart. cly. used. I don't know either...but it happened maybe someone can dissect this interesting malfuction.

SG