The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 9, 2009, 09:14 PM   #26
jgcoastie

Quote:
We realistacally have a very very very low gun crime rate.
These websites would beg to differ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1440764.stm

http://gunowners.org/sk0703.htm

http://www.uspoliticsonline.com/gun-...l-failure.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...an.html?cat=17

My favorite quotes are these:

Quote:
In a [2002] United Nations study of crime in 18 developed nations, England and Wales led the Western world's crime league, with nearly 55 crimes per 100 people. [1]
Quote:
Your chances of being mugged in London are now six times greater than in New York.
Quote:
A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.
Compare Brits to the Swiss... Now they know how to manage crime...

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/artic...ime-swiss.html

Quote:
The UN Study omits Switzerland from its comparative analysis. The Swiss example contradicts the Study's hypothesis that a high incidence of firearm ownership correlates with high violent crime.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Last edited by jgcoastie; September 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old September 26, 2009, 01:36 PM   #27
loner

Nice Shooters!!! dribble , dribble....what I wouldn't give!!
Wow, now that's what I call safety!!!
Old September 26, 2009, 01:38 PM   #28
loner

Erm.... I walk around London a lot and I mean a lot, I have yet to see, or even hear of any crime. I wonder about these reports??
Old September 26, 2009, 02:00 PM   #29
Chris_B

I walk around a part of Boston very often; I live in a part of it. I have seen evidence of a crime twice in 10 years, but seen no actual crime committed. I have however read many stories in the paper of actual gunfights within walking distance of where I live in Boston- and yet I saw and heard nothing with my own eyes or ears during the time of day those crimes were reported in the news
Old January 29, 2010, 05:28 PM   #30
C-Q-B

"they gotta be joking !! i have a 1911 WWII Colt that i bought from a WWII vet, he was a bombardier, he fired it to qualify and never used it after that, i paid $75.00 for it in 1978, it shows absolutely no wear and to me mine is, ""The best example of a WWII Colt"" i have ever seen and i have seen many 1911's"

First off mate, I have mates - and so do you probably, who bought things back in the 70's for under $100 that are now worth well over $1000. Guitars are one item...

Civvy Street Point of View....
Look, we have the right to own weapons. So long as we can show proof of adequate security measures such as a gun safe blaa blaa blaaa, we can own shotguns. These go as far as the Extrema 2 & certain semi-auto rifles.

To be honest - to protect your home, you don't need a semi-auto pistol or a restricted AK that can only fire one shot at a time...

You certainly don't need six of them...

Lets be clear here. Guns are weapons, for disabling and hitting a target be it living or otherwise and sort we are talking about certainly aren't primarily designed for target practice. At the end of the day, whatever nationality you are, we all appreciate the engineering marvel of guns and the buzz we get from firing them. Not to mention that it takes alot of disipline to handle a gun in the proper way.

It is indeed sad that as humans, we all cannot find a way of being able to enjoy these weapons without the risk of innocent people being maimed and killed by them.

In the same light, hell, if it weren't for the science of stopping and killing a subject at x-meters away efficiently - most of these weapons wouldn't exist.

I live here in the UK and would absolutely love to be able to buy semi-auto pistols and variants of other weapons not to mention fully automatic this and that, but I can't.

I have various options open to me. Shotgun certificate, enables me to own shotguns. Firearms certificate allows me to own various single shot, semi-auto rifles including AK47 variants. Great, i can buy an AK74 variant, knocked down to a .22 caliber weapon...... not..... It's not going to happen. I'd rather spen $2000 on an air powered target rifle or a decent shotgun.

So anyway, back to the point. We are certainly not all peasants here and castles are few and far between. What the criminal element here in the UK lack in firearms, they more than make up for in creativity and suffering I assure you. What annoys me the most here is that if I want a deactivated hand gun I would pay in the region of $300 for it. However, little Johny in London could go to the right housing estate and buy the same thing, fully working probably for a lot less... And he is more likely to go kill someone.

I abide by laws here in the UK so if I want to learn practically about certain weapons I have to by deactivated weapons. We currently have two sorts here at the moment. Old and new spec. Old specification deactivated weapons still include their trigger groups and most parts. Usually the bolt /carrier is filed in someway to cause malfunction when introducing rounds into the chamber. The firing pin is usually removed and its channel welded closed. Cocking and dry firing is achievable as well as field stripping. This was up until 1995 where all weapons that have been deactivated since are typically listed as New Spec. I agree with many of the comments on here that it is disgusting what they do. Here is an example of a new spec deactivation of an AK I own personally. Springs removed from trigger group, trigger group completely welded solid, most new specs also have the fire mode selector welded to the trigger group also however in my case it still moves thank heavens. Solid bar introduced and welded into the barrel, bolt removed and bolt carrier welded to the receiver. Slot cut along barrel. As far as stripping goes, top cover comes off, main spring comes out, fire mode selector switch comes of. magazine removable and capable of holding ammo, all furniture removable. Rear sight strippable. Thats about it, front sight can be adjusted too. It really is horrendous when you look inside but there you are. The worst of it is that this is a Russian made AK. The up shot is that it cost me £150 and has seen a lot of active service and I can display it where I want.

Next week I have a Bulgarian made AK coming which is Old spec deactivated. As well as coming with it's original wooden furniture, it is coming with a seven position tactical stock and black tactical furniture with upper and lower RIS system. Its old spec deactivation so it contains all the trigger group which is free to move as normal. It will cock and dry fire and is completely field strippable down to barrel.

I'm quite happy to post some pictures up here of them for you guys if you want to see.

I guess over and above everything guys, i'm trying to say that we all appreciate weapons and we have to go by what we can legally access. Up until a certain point we could shoot hand guns at clubs but then some maniac went into a school and killed quite a few people. Those who buy and sell deactivated weapons don't make the rules, so please don't mock us for having the same enthusiasm as you do, just not the accessibility.

Professional Point of View....
Weapons are for killing. You pay for what you get and they all serve different purposes to different levels of efficiency.

I wouldn't want to be around or near anyone who had a deactivated weapon reactivated and was going to fire it. Once deactivated, to what ever spec, they are only 'visually' guns (this doesn't mean they won't get you killed just as quick by law enforcement officers or people with criminal intent). I would also question a persons weapons discipline if they were to even intimate that reactivating a non-historical gun would be acceptable (legal or otherwise).
Old January 30, 2010, 01:39 PM   #31
BlueTrain

Rest assured not everyone in this country owns a lot of guns and I'd venture to guess half own none at all. Everyone here apparently owns enough to bring up the average, though. Pity, I can't seem to afford a Colt anything at the moment, especially after the Reds somehow managed to siphon off such wealth I had accumulated over the years. I suppose I'll be working until I die.

People have a few mistaken ideas about British gun control, thinking it is something imposed by conservative governments over the last generation (You couldn't very well have liberal gun laws and a conservative government, now could you?). It started a long, long time ago, around the time some of my ancestors left England at about the time of the Civil Wars. For some curious reason the decided that wars were a Bad Thing, something to be avoided. They even avoided building a lot of fortifications, noting with some truth, that on the continent, they seemed to have constant warfare where ever fortresses had been built. That may be a confusion of cause and effect but the British never built fortifications to the extent they did in Europe. In this country, however, we generally did (built them in WWII, betcha didn't know) but often left them empty of men. We always like to do our defence with as few people as possible.

Don't believe everything you read, especially statistics.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:17 PM   #32
RETG

I basically deactivated a Taurus PT111 a few years ago. Could not honestly sell it since it was the biggest POS I have ever seen. So, I removed the firing pin, and packed dense foam into the barrel from the muzzle end, and poured about one inch of molten lead into the barrel from the breech end. The lead displaced the dense foam for about an inch and then cooled, and there it remains.
Comes in great as a paperweight on my desk.