The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 22, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Gecko10

S&W Rear Sight Problem??

I have a new to me S&W Mdl 66-2, manufactured in 1983. This gun is in very good condition, maybe a box or two put through it. I shot it for the first time this morning to get a feel for functionality and do a rough sight-in.

There is no movement in elevation on the adjustable rears. You can turn the Sight Elevation Nut (adjustment screw), part# 37, forever without movement in elevation. I removed the rears and compared them to a Brownell's parts schematic. It appears that part# 40, Sight Plunger Spring is missing, though it is very hard to tell where this spring is actually installed.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sch...el=K-Frame+66+

Does anyone know where this spring is installed?

I’m assuming that it fits down over the Sight Elevation Stud, part# 38 and then the Elevation Nut on top of that to compress it between the stud and the nut retaining clip spring (part# 41) for the nut. If it fits between the Sight Spring Clip (41) and the base of the Nut (37) then that will be a difficult job, at least for me.

Any help appreciated.
Old September 22, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Majic

The plunger spring goes into the side of the elevation nut followed by the plunger. This is how the clicking sound is made as you adjust the sights and locks the nut in position. The spring clip sounds like where you are having the problem. There is nothing there to push the assembly up. Your sights should be bottomed out. You probably can pull the sight up with very little pressure. If replacing I would get a new elevation nut and spring clip. Just don't lose that tiny plunger and spring.
Old September 22, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Gecko10

Majic:

Thanks. I can see how the plunger and spring work now. The sight nut does detent and click when I turn it. For the life of me I cannot see anything wrong with the spring clip or nut. The spring clip is whole, in its groove and closed, yet, as you say, the sight is bottomed out and easily raised with slight pressure.

I don't know if I have the tools, patience or eye sight to work with that spring clip. It is very small. Any recommendations on a smith I could send the rears to. I'd prefer not to have to send the whole gun.
Old September 23, 2008, 04:34 PM   #4
louiethelump

When you remove the sight assembly, is there a square based threaded nut on the bottom of the elevation screw? When you remove the rear sight, you should take the front screw out of the assembly where it attaches to the frame. Then, you should have to slide the whole assembly to the rear, to clear the square sided nut from the mortise in the frame that holds it from turning. This is what the screw that controls elevation threads into to make the sight go up and down. If this flat bottomed, threaded, nut is missing you will get what you describe. If the elevation screw, or the flat bottomed nut is stripped you will get what you describe.
"Deeds; Not Words"

Last edited by louiethelump; September 23, 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling error