The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you legally carry at work even if it's against company policy?
I have a gun on me whenever it's legal for me to do so... 91 70.54%
I need the pay-check to badly to risk getting caught... 38 29.46%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 25, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Sparks2112

Carrying At Work

I'm curious as to how many of you carry at work while company policy forbids it? I'm not talking about breaking the law, so, if you work in a posted or gun free zone that's one thing. I'm talking about working somewhere it's perfectly legal to carry, but would get you fired if the bosses found out.

For instance. I've recently started working the night shift at a gas station. It is not posted no carry, but company policy forbids it (they also say cooperation with a robber will keep you safe ).

Suffice to say, I carry even though they would prefer I not, I'm not breaking any laws, but would be fired if discovered. Anyone else?
J.M. Johnston

Last edited by Sparks2112; September 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 25, 2008, 12:22 PM   #2
DWARREN123

I can mark both. I will not knowing break the laws and customs of others but first I will not be a victim.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Recon7

Depending on where you live, you may be trespassing. probably just a misdemeanor, but something to consider. This is an Issue I hope to be facing soon as my ccw should arrive in the mail (shall issue state) and I will be looking for a new job. I did not vote because I have to carry at my current job.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Sparks2112

Quote:
Depending on where you live, you may be trespassing.
I think that would only be if they posted no guns period. If customers can have guns but employees can't I don't think they could force the trespassing thing. Especially considering they'd have to ask me to leave first.
J.M. Johnston
Old September 25, 2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Recon7

The law may consider a policy against carrying at work the request to leave, I really don't know Just trying to play devils advocate.
Old September 25, 2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Sparks2112

Quote:
The law may consider a policy against carrying at work the request to leave, I really don't know Just trying to play devils advocate.
Very possible. And don't worry, Devil's advocate is fine when people are polite. I started the thread to get people talking anyway.
J.M. Johnston

Last edited by Sparks2112; September 25, 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old September 25, 2008, 03:46 PM   #7
KLRANGL

This might be going down a different path, but my occupation is student... What about carrying on campus? I know its a big no no rules wise, but is that just an expulsion offense or an arresting offense as well? This is a state school, not private...

When I did work over the summer at a fuel injector plant, I wouldnt have carried even if I could (was under 21 at the time hence no permit, and it was stated no weapons in the rules). The engineering experience was too important for the future... While I think we should be allowed to carry, I dont think we should change our lifestyle (to a significant degree that is) in order to carry, ie change jobs... No sense preserving a life you dont enjoy...
Old September 25, 2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Recon7

I know exactly where you're coming from, I am a student at a smaller "private" college and I don't even know how to ask if they allow lawful concealed carry without looking like a trench coat nutjob.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:00 PM   #9
KLRANGL

Yeah, I know what you mean... I was at a Town Hall Meeting at school today in response to a string of armed robberies and an attempted sexual assault on campus (one student shot in the leg). It was a Q&A session with the University Police Chief, and I asked him straight up if he would ever consider allowing students with conceal carry permits to carry on campus... He basically told me there was no way and never will be... He then preceded to tell us it was our responsibility to protect ourselves and the cops could only do so much... At least he understands that part... now if only they would let us do something about it...

Unfortunately, being at a private school you're sort of SOL regardless because private entities should be able to make their own laws...
Any rules regarding firearms should be on your school website. If not you can always contact the Dean of Students...
Old September 25, 2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Keltyke

If I tell you (anyone) that you can't carry a weapon on my property or a place I have control over, you won't or you won't set foot across that property line, or if you do, you'll go to jail.

Some people need to learn to respect other's rights and property rights. I have 100% control over my property. I can even tell a LEO to get off, obtain a search warrant, or have probable cause.

Yes, you have a right to defend yourself. I DO firmly believe in that. The Government, right or wrong, has decided your right to carry a weapon may come under the control of others. You don't like it? Change the government.

If you carry to a "no guns" work zone, I hope you can live on unemployment, cause you must not want that job very badly.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:16 PM   #11
David Armstrong

Different states, different rules. Some places a prohibition on carry by the business is a legal restriction and you can be arrested and/or lose your CHL. Might want to check that before anybody does anything silly.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:27 PM   #12
Recon7

I'm not even sure you would qualify for unemployment, it you were "terminated for committing a crime on company premises"

If you get caught carrying at a resteraunt, you pay the tab with cash and walk don't run off of the property quickly. No private citizen should be able to detain you for a misdemeanor. Remember you aren't running from the cops, you are leaving as requested. But if you are at work that won't work for you. you could expect to lose your job and possibly your ccw permit.

Keltyke, you would have to make a reasonable request for the person to leave and they would only be arrested if they stayed until the cops arrive. I deal with trespass issues at work a lot and typically the only way to arrest somebody is they refuse to leave until the cops show or you properly document the first trespass and that they were warned not to come back and they come back anyway.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:41 PM   #13
Keltyke

+1 David Armstrong.

You're absolutely right, recon7, I was simply trying to get the point across.

"Sorry, I didn't realize my weapon wasn't allowed in *****. I didn't see any signs. I'll leave immediately." Then do so - calmly and quietly.

Even if you've already ordered, you are only required to pay for the food you actually ate.
Old September 25, 2008, 05:02 PM   #14
TheNatureBoy

I wouldn't dare. I've been working for local government for 24 years now. In another 6 years I can retire with a pretty good pension. Company policy absolutely forbids it and I don't have a problem with that.
Old September 25, 2008, 05:22 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Neither option is correct for me...
I do not daily carry... I do not currently have the ability to work... If I did have a job to go to and chose to carry a firearm I would be a responsible gun owner and carry it with me rather than leave it unattended in a vehicle on a parking lot.
If i was fired for carrying I would not mind... I have always lived by the creed... "I was lookin' for a job when I found this one..."
I would not work in a setting where attack was an imminent risk but refuse to leave a gun in a vehicle as they are not that secure.
Brent
Old September 25, 2008, 05:33 PM   #16
grymster2007

Where I work it would be a felony.

Fired and in jail? Nahhh, I could take one or the other, but not both.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:16 PM   #17
David Armstrong

Quote:
If i was fired for carrying I would not mind... I have always lived by the creed... "I was lookin' for a job when I found this one..."
Why would you even take the job in the first place if you knew you were not going to follow the rules that the job said for you to follow?
Old September 25, 2008, 06:18 PM   #18
Recon7

$$$$

That's a pretty silly question isn't it.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:18 PM   #19
Mannlicher

I own the company, so I have no problems with CCW. Even so, I carry where I feel it is in my best interests, I am not so concerned with the legality of it.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 25, 2008, 06:56 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have even lied to bosses (grounds for dismissal) calling in sick when in truth I forgot to stop drinking and was still partying with friends...
Just like have driven 110 mph, and rolled a few stop signs even turned without a signal... I don't consider my self the teetotaler to honor every rule in society. I have had to pick up my sick daughter with my shotgun in the truck from public school... Should I have stopped at the post office across the street and have them hold it?
But I behave much better in recent years... Most everything I care not to mention has had the statute of limitation expire though. wildass is an understatement to describe my younger years...
Brent
Old September 25, 2008, 10:48 PM   #21
dabigguns357

I'm going to say yes but if i'm inside at work then i leave it in the car.but once my butt hits my front seat the holster and come out and the shirt goes over it.
Old September 25, 2008, 10:53 PM   #22
OnTheFly

I WISH I could carry. I travel for a living and find myself in some not so nice areas. Unfortunately, the TSA doesn't seem to share my concerns.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old September 26, 2008, 08:04 AM   #23
Amendtwo

I carry at all times, except when a metal detector is in my path.
Old September 26, 2008, 08:23 AM   #24
Threefeathers

The two answers are too closly related. A better answer would be Do you violate the law in order to remain armed?
Such as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol when State statute makes this specifically illegal.
Old September 26, 2008, 08:33 AM   #25
fisherman66

Depending on state statues, correct posting of no firearms signs may be required in order to be in violation of law. A picture of a gun with a slash across it may not qualify. Carrying may be a terminable offense, but not necessarily criminal.