The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 4, 2008, 01:34 AM   #1
roklok

M1A-M1 Garand cleaning jag

Just thought I would share my idea for a cleaning jag for M1A or Garand. I was not able to find a jag I liked for cleaning these rifles from the muzzle. I am not real fond of the Parker Hale jag design or slotted tips and was looking for a way to get a good tight fit with a patch. I bought a .30 caliber Montana Extreme jag and ground the shoulder down where it threads into rod. I also ground down the sharp end. To use, I poke a hole in patch with sharp end, then put patch on from threaded end of jag. It can then be threaded onto rod and pulled through barrel. It works GREAT !! I am posting a couple pics, one is modified .30 caliber Jag next to a unmodified Montana Extreme .257 Jag, the second is modified Jag with patch in place for pulling through bore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0858.jpg (56.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (54.0 KB, 122 views)
Old November 4, 2008, 02:50 PM   #2
nbkky71

You might have just built a better moustrap roklok. Very ingenious...