The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1
PaultheWall

Range report: T/C Hawken

Took my T/C Hawken (.58 caliber) out to the range last week. Had a decent day. Here is a photo of my target used at 50 yards. These shots were taken seated using a rest. Load was 60 grains of FFG Goex, wonder wad, and a .570 Hornady round ball with a pillow ticking patch.

I hope to take the Hawken out again tomorrow...

Old November 7, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
PaultheWall

Got out again today

Was able to get to the range today, again with my Hawken. I shot a lot of rounds using loads ranging from 90 to 110 grains of 2F Goex. She seemed to like 90 grains the most today.

Here is a target shot from 50 yards seated, using a bench rest:

For this target I used 90 grains of 2F Goex, wonder wad, lubed pillow ticking patch and a .570 Hornady round ball.

The wonder wads work "wonders" in terms of getting the bore from getting too fouled. I fired about 25 rounds today and only had to swab once.

Last edited by PaultheWall; November 7, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:38 PM   #3
simonkenton

Can you get a bench rest to shoot from?
From the seated position, the muzzle might be moving too much.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
PaultheWall

Bench rest

Yes, forgot to note that I was using a bench rest -- that's what I meant when I noted "seated". Sorry about that.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Bradjk

I have that same rifle. It's my first muzzle loader and I have not been able to get out to the range with it yet. Thanks for posting your results so I have a preview of how mine will perform.
Old November 7, 2008, 07:46 PM   #6
grymster2007

Nice report Raider! Thanks,

I like your gun! Don't have any BP rifles yet, but when I do get the bug (and I will ), the Trade Rifle just might be my first acquisition!

Just realized I replied to the wrong thread. So... Nice report PaultheWalll!. Thanks!

Last edited by grymster2007; November 7, 2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: replied to the wrong thread.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
simonkenton

You ought to be able to get better groups than that. Maybe you need a tighter patch.
I have a .50 TC Hawken and I get 2 inch groups at 50.

Really, you are not ready to go deer hunting with bench rest groups like that at 50 yards.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8
robhof

robhof

I've got a Thompson Hawkins in 50 that I picked up a stainless Green Mtn barrel for it, the barrel is rifled for sabot loads and I've gotten 1 1/2" AT 50 yds and been ringing the gong at the outdoor range at 200 yds. The barrel came with the fire sights and they're great, but so far the deer have come out when it's too dark for the sights to glow. I'll have to practice some late eve shots and use them like iron sights.
Old November 9, 2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Joe Martin

My .54 TC Hawken likes 80 grains of 2fg Goex with an .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Bore Butter 1000+... From the bench I get on average 2" groups from 50 yards.

What you're going to need to do is work up your load. I would suggest going with no less then an .018 lubed patch and start out shooting 3 shot groups off the bench from 25 yards, not 50 yards.

Start again with 60 grains - shoot three shots for group - then up your charge 5 grains and do it again - then repeat this process of upping the charge five grains with every three shot group until you find the tightest group. You'll know because from the tightest three shot group your grouping will start to open up once again.

I would guess you're going to find the best group in the 75 to 90 grain range.

Here is the key however,,, do every thing the same. If you swab between shots continue to do so - doing everything the same. The only thing to change is the powder charge every three shots.

You should see some marked improvements. When this happens it is time to move out to 50 yards and see how you do.

Remember, you are shooting for group while working up your load so where the group appears on the target at this point does not matter. Just get a tight 3 shot group, then adjust your sights at 25 yards to hit center. You should be alright at 50 yards then, with perhaps very little adjustment needed.

Good luck!

Last edited by Joe Martin; November 9, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old November 11, 2008, 05:23 PM   #10
longranger

I have T/C Renegade that I rebarreled with a Green Mountain fast twist .45 cal. It shoots almost as well as my Shilo Sharps @ 200 yds. It's only limited by the T/C peep sight. It will shoot sub MOA @100yd. with 540gr Paul Jones Creedmoor sized .452 lubed felt wad and 100gr Swiss 1.5. That is my target load. Hunting load is 80gr. Swiss 1.5 lubed felt wad and a 405 gr,RNFP Saeco bullet, sized .452. Killed a nice elk last year with it. The T/C's could use a better lock.Green Mountain did a run of drop in fast twist barrels for the T/C Hawkin's and Renegades. These out shoot any modern inline M/L, not even the same league! If you can find one these barrels buy it. I am currently trying to mount a soule sight on the Renegade so I can shoot it at the silhouette range. It is for all intent and purposes a front stuffing .45,100 or 80 or what ever your willing to hang on to.This was my answer for a long range M/L that met the M/L req's for most western states.
Old November 12, 2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Ironwood

oops did it again. Moderator please delete this post. I seem to be having trouble modifing a reply.

Last edited by Ironwood; November 12, 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: double entry
Old November 12, 2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Ironwood

Paul, Three years ago I picked up a TC Pennsylvania Hunter in .50 caliber. I don't think the rifle had ever been fired. The first time I took it to the range it gave me a pattern about like yours. Next couple of times out it did about the same. Still shooting a pattern instead of a group. I was really getting a little worried that I had made a bad buy. The barrel was a little loose in the stock so I bent the wedge pin just a little to tighten up the barrel in the channel. I ran some 0000 steel wool down the barrel a few times to smooth out any sharp places in the rifling. The rifle had been destroying patches. I also increased the powder charge.

I don't know which of those operations worked.. Maybe all three but the rifle now shoots groups at 50 yards off the bench that look like this.