The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 7, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Abaddon

CVA Bobcat in pawnshop - how to check out

Hi,

I'm new to muzzleloading and am considering a used CVA Bobcat. I found two of them in two separate pawnshops and wanted your advise on how to check them out to make sure they haven't been mistreated by a previous owner. I started another thread with random questions about muzzleloading right here http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...30#post3117430

I'll be using it for blacktail in WA state.

Rifle #1 is priced at $150. It is missing the ramrod (the previous owner seemed to think a wood dowel could substitute). It has fully adjustable sights and a wood stock.

Rifle #2 is priced at $180 and has a synthetic stock. I would prefer a wood stock.

I just bought a drop-in barrel light, so I can check for pitting and rust inside the barrel. Is there anything else I should check for? Should I check anything around the nipple, like that it's not rusted in place? Are the prices good for this? I think that in both cases I can talk them down a bit, especially the one with the dowel instead of a ramrod.

Also, I read somewhere that CVA had to recall some of their guns because of exploding barrels. Is that a danger with a Bobcat? Does anyone know how to check if it was a recall one?

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by Abaddon; November 7, 2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: wanted to ask about barrel recalls and add link to other thread.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Pahoo

If you are indeed talking about a CVA Bobcat, then I feel both are priced too high, especially for a used one. Recently saw one for $75.00 and it was in really nice shape. Also bought one for our conservation club for $65.00. Both bores were bright and shiny. They shoot well enough and I have had problems with hang-fires as well as mis-fires. Went to a new nipple and it got better but not perfect. Besides the bore, look at the crown as well as the nipple and drum areas. See if the folks at the pawn shop, will let you pull the barrel off and check for any rust or pits. The Bobcats I have seen, have fixed sights. If you do get one, consider conversion to a musket primer.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 7, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Abaddon

Pahoo

Is it easy to pull the barrel off?

Also, what does switching to a musket primer do? Is the musket primer bigger than a #11?

Both of them have fully adjustable sights.

Regarding the price I went to a half dozen pawn shops in the area and couldn't find anything for cheaper than $120 (a CVA magbolt that was missing the rear sight). I've also checked out Sportsman's Warehouse and GI Joes. I'm sure I could talk them down a bit, but doubling the new price does seem a little ridiculous.

Last edited by Abaddon; November 7, 2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: to mention the sights
Old November 7, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Abaddon

Forgot to ask

What's a hangfire? Is that when the powder ignites and the bullet doesn't fully exit the gun?

I assume 'misfire' is when the powder doesn't ignite at all - correct?
Old November 7, 2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
What's a hangfire? Is that when the powder ignites and the bullet doesn't fully exit the gun?
No that's a squib. A hang fire is when the primer or cap pops and a second or two later the main charge goes off. I've got a CVA Hawken and it doesn't do that with Pyrodex or #11 caps. No misfires either. I agree the prices are too high. Check gunbroker. Only bad thing about that is you can't inspect before you buy but you should be able to return it unfired if it's not what you expect.
Old November 7, 2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Raider2000

Hang fire is when you hear the pop of the cap & then almost a second later the main charge goes off.

A Mis fire or failure to fire is when you may or may not hear the primer pop but the main charge does not go off.

Musket primers are larger & are hotter than #11's so a more positive ignition is possible with them by comparrison but I've used #11 with mine for almost 20 years & haven't had much of an issue that wasn't because of me.

The barrel pulls off pretty easy, simply have the hammer at half cock after assuring that the weapon is unloaded, remove the wedge pin through the stock & then pull the barrel up enough to release the hooked breach area & remove the barrel.
Old November 7, 2008, 10:04 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Those prices are way too high for a used CVA. You could likely buy new for that.

I paid 150.00 for my CVA Optima new at Walmart 3 years ago. They run 225.00 normally but once regular gun season starts around here they mark them down pretty quickly.

I also ordered a CVA Hunterbolt from natchez new for around 170 or 180 I think.

Shop around more for new if you are looking to spend that kinda cash. If you want used then spend less than what those two shops are asking.

IIRC, the defective CVA barrels were on the 1996 or 1997 series Stag Horns and Pro-Hunters. Maybe some other affected models but the serial numbers are date coded with the 2 digit year being either the first two or last two numbers. I forget, been awhile. One of mine was an affected gun and CVA sent me a new barrel and breech plug for it. That was some time ago though.
Old November 9, 2008, 07:19 PM   #8
Pahoo

Abaddon
Sorry not to be on line as I was out chasing deer and an out of town gun-show.
Raider2000 covered your questions, quite well. Might add that another advantage to a musket primer or "Top-Hat" is that they are easier to work with besides the increased ignition especially on a "Side-Cocker". They make a capper for these as well. I use them in my in-line (I know, a dirty word) I only go to a 209 when I'm forced to. Might also add that I heard some very good reviews on the Savage 10ML. Not my cup of tea but reportedly, very good performance.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 10, 2008, 12:03 PM   #9
shortwave

Again, priced to high. As rantingredneck said check your local WallyWorld starting about a week after your m/l season. Bought 3 new CVA Thunderbolts with starter kits last year for around $150 ea. They were gifts and I know two were excellent shooters out of box. Don`t think 3rd has been shot yet. Don`t know if its been said yet but if you take Pahoo`s advice on switching to musket primer(adviseable) you`ll have to purchase musket nipple for m/l you chose if its not so equiped. Goodluck!
Old November 15, 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
kyle663

too high

as everyone has said, way too high. I bought 2 a couple years ago at wally world for $99 each. the trick with those guns is if you use pellets, i always drop 1 in and break it up with the rod, then turn the gun so the powder falls into the side tube, then load the rest of the way. never had a hang fire after that.
Old November 15, 2008, 07:38 PM   #11
Clayfish

I bought a CVA bobcat at Bass Pro a couple years ago for $79.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:14 AM   #12
simonkenton

http://tinyurl.com/6myvb4

Here is a deal for you. A new unfired Knight Wolverine for $150.
This is one of the classic inlines, a very accurate American made Green River Barrel.
Drilled and tapped for scope, comes with fiber optic sights.
Powerful and accurate, this is such a steal you ought to be locked up if you buy it.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Hoss Fly

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=115868751
Old November 22, 2008, 07:19 PM   #14
kirpi97

Speaking as one from the Northwest, I can understand the buyers frustration. Here in Oregon, like Washington, the sale prices for black powder has shot through the roof with the election of a new President.

I found our black powder rifles jump to $195 and up in the pawn shops and gun shops. I recently was looking at a .50 cal in-line. They all wanted $295 for the used rifles. I bought a new one through Cabela's for $150. Go figure.
Old November 23, 2008, 07:39 AM   #15
mykeal

Quote:
I found our black powder rifles jump to $195 and up in the pawn shops and gun shops. I recently was looking at a .50 cal in-line. They all wanted $295 for the used rifles. I bought a new one through Cabela's for $150. Go figure.
And did they SELL those used rifles for $295? There's a long road between what they WANTED and and what they'll actually get.
Old November 24, 2008, 06:15 PM   #16
roklok

My dad bought a new bobcat about 6 years ago at Wal-mart for 70 dollars. For the kind of prices you are seeing for the used ones, I would spend a bit more and get a good used Thompson Center. It is pretty common to see TC Renegades go for around $200 on gunbroker. No comparison in quality between the two. TC has a lifetime warranty also.
Old November 24, 2008, 06:33 PM   #17
roklok

Here is an example; http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=116229821

although for some reason this guy will only ship to an FFL. I actually own 5 different Renegades, great guns.