The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 2, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Noonan

Report on two deer shot with .223

After reading several threads regarding shooting whitetails with 223, I decided to see for myself. I went out last week with my AR with the intention of culling a couple of does. I shot two small does (about 75 lbs each). Ammunition was 55 grain soft point. Both deer were shot broadside at about 100 yds. The first one apparently hit the shoulder bone, mushroomed, and caused a great deal of internal damage. No exit wound, DRT instantly. The second one was a double lung shot with a small exit wound on the opposite side. This deer ran about 10 yds, collapsed, and died about 30 seconds later. These were very small deer, but I am confidant with proper shot placement this is an effective round. I imagine with a 68 grain bullet the results would be even better. My family enjoyed the backstraps on Christmas day and the rest is in the freezer.
Old January 2, 2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Daryl

Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Good job, and congrat's on getting some good meat!

Daryl
Old January 2, 2009, 04:21 PM   #3
armedtotheteeth

Never tried a 223 on whitetail vital zones. I use a Ar 15 alot, but headshot them. Its good to know itll DRT them.
Old January 2, 2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

This makes me wonder if my 5.45x39 rifle might be useable on deer. I've only been considering coyote up to this point.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 2, 2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Daryl

Quote:
This makes me wonder if my 5.45x39 rifle might be useable on deer. I've only been considering coyote up to this point.
Can you get soft point ammo for it? FMJ's and target style hollow points won't work too well I'm thinking.

With soft points, I think it'd work ok within a reasonable range.

Daryl
Old January 3, 2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Can you get soft point ammo for it? FMJ's and target style hollow points won't work too well I'm thinking.
I'm still searching for a good round, hunting with FMJ is highly illeagle in my state anyway so that's out of the question. Im sure someone makes a decent soft point load for it.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 3, 2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Daryl

GSU,

Hunting with military type FMJ's is illegal in many states, and for good reason. They don't work too well for hunting purposes.

If you can find soft points designed to penetrate and expand, that's what you'll want to use IMO.

Daryl
Old January 3, 2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Sarge

Some years back my late nephew decided he was going to deer hunt with an exceptionally accurate 700 Remington he owned, in 22-250. We knew that cartridge was too fast for the majority of 55 PS's then available, so we slowed the loads down to about 3200- near duplicating the .223 in the process.

Kenny proceeded to kill 8-10 good-sized deer with that set-up over the next 5 years, including several kills at 300-350 yards. He was deeply interested in terminal ballistics and he paid close attention to the deer's reaction, which was to plunk over on the spot or within 30 yards of being hit. I witnessed three of them, between 200-250 yards, and to say I was amazed at how well that little softpoint killed deer would be an understatement. It certainly convinced me that a good and careful shot armed with 'only' a .223 can eat venison for the rest of his life- or as long as his eyesight holds up.

Kenny was also an exceptional rifle shot, which was no small factor in his success. He also used one rifle-one load for everything, year round, except small game; and he was used to shooting varmints out to 400 yards.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Hamour

I found the same to be true using the Speer 70gr semi sptz. When we kept the speed to around 2700 or so it would penetrate well. If we loaded to max 3100 fps we would start to get blowups but still kill the deer.
My Dad and I found the CAR 15 to be a great woods deer rifle using the Speer 70gr bullet. We had 1x12 rifling so we had to use the semi sptz to stabilize.

Deer size was 100 lbs live weight in our area of Texas. With occasional 120 LB animals.