The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 10, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
ironhorse

Shipping Firearms - UPS (maybe FedEx, too) info, at least in Albuquerque

I have been trying to get a pistol shipped back to Ruger for service, and the quickest way seemed to be by UPS, and I was told to go to FedEx or UPS by Ruger. Anyhoo.... the lady at the UPS Store, to her credit, didn't even raise an eyebrow at needing to ship a pistol and knew who Sturm, Ruger, & Co is, which surprised me, but said they could not ship from the store.

After chasing a few false leads, I finally found from another UPS Store that the stores are not licensed to ship firearms or firearms parts, which I think that to mean serial-numbered parts, like receivers, but the UPS hub (I-25 and Comanche here in Albuquerque) is licensed to ship firearms.

I wasn't able to get this info from the gun stores/dealers/etc. I called, so hopefully it will save someone on the forum some hassle.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Gadget

The only time I had to use UPS for shipping a firearm was to send one back to the manufacturer for warrantee work. Got a hassle in Edgewood, but returned later with a box of "machine parts" which went without problems.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Donn_N

This is true all over, not just Albuquerque, and applies to both FedEx and UPS. You have to go to a location that is actually manned by employees of those companies. Office supply stores, mail box stores, etc., cannot accept guns for shipping. At least if you're honest and tell them what is in the box.

I've recently sold and shipped several guns and thought it best to follow the rules. If a gun gets lost in transit, I want to be reimbursed for my gun, not for some made up item that doesn't actually exist.

I use FedEx and have had no problems, but do find it odd that different clerks ask different questions.
Old January 15, 2009, 04:15 AM   #4
skeeter

For long guns the Postal Service is the best. They will not hassle you if a gun is lost or damaged. UPS and Fed Ex will give you a hell of a hard time. I had a a SW 29 in a hard wood presentation case,in its cardboard box and a second outter box shipped from the factory to me. It must have been dropped hard as the barrel broke through the presentation case and out of the inner box. UPS told me it was improperly packaged and not their fault. The presentation case was ruined as was the front sight. Several letters to corporate HQ did nothing. SW said it was the shipper and I had to eat it.
Old January 16, 2009, 08:13 PM   #5
2kflhr

I had to send a Glock back for service and could only ship it through UPS or FedEx. I shipped UPS and in order to be legal, declare it as a firearm. It could only be shipped from their main hub.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:35 PM   #6
troy_mclure

ups customer service center.

a handgun requires overnight shipping, it cost me $62 to ship a revolver. from louisania to missouri.

you also need to give the shipper a copy of the receivers ffl.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 16, 2009, 09:44 PM   #7
JWT

Sent a couple different handguns back to the manufacture and had to go to the UPS customer service center and use overnight shipping. Wasn't asked for any FFL info. The folks at the center were very well versed in the UPS requirements and it was no problem - other than perhaps costs and distance I had to drive to get to the center.

The UPS on line site outlines their requirements completely.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:04 AM   #8
sureshots

USPS

U.S. Postal Service, long guns no hassle
Old January 17, 2009, 12:47 AM   #9
NavyLT

Quote:
I had to send a Glock back for service and could only ship it through UPS or FedEx. I shipped UPS and in order to be legal, declare it as a firearm.
Technically, you complied with UPS policy by declaring it as a firearm. There is no Federal statute required to do so, unless you are shipping it 1. Interstate AND 2. to a private party, only in that particular circumstance does the Federal statute require you to notify the shipper that it is a firearm, and then it has to be in writing.
Old January 21, 2009, 07:41 PM   #10
charleym3

Quote:
Technically, you complied with UPS policy by declaring it as a firearm. There is no Federal statute required to do so, unless you are shipping it 1. Interstate AND 2. to a private party, only in that particular circumstance does the Federal statute require you to notify the shipper that it is a firearm, and then it has to be in writing.
I beg to differ. When I read the ATF website, it clearly said that when using a common carrier that you had to declare a firearm.
I was shocked to find that FED-EX will now take firearms. I need to ship a revlover back to S&W. Does Fedex require it to travel overnight like UPS?
Old January 21, 2009, 08:40 PM   #11
tjhands

Charlie, can you post a link to that ATF wordage?

From everything I've ever heard, if you don't declare to UPS that you are sending a handgun, you are breaking UPS's rules but not commiting any crime whatsoever as long as the gun is being shipped to an FFL. Naturally I don't do this and don't advise anyone else to, either, but I'd sure appreciate a link to what you are refering to.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:50 PM   #12
charleym3

Yes Here it is:http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

Here's the text:
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

Not trying to be a smart ass. It really ticks me off that I have to pay over-night rates to UPS. I can find nothing on the Fed-ex site that says handguns have to go overnight so this is huge news to me.
Old January 22, 2009, 07:36 AM   #13
NavyLT

The ATF faq is wrong and they have admitted in letters to inquirers that it is wrong. I'll post the Federal law when I get to work later.

18 USC 922:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...2----000-.html
Quote:
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.
1. The notification must be in writing,
2. Only required if shipping out of state (interstate), AND
3. Only required if shipping to a non-licensee.

It is hard to find the FEDEX rules concerning handguns. It's in the FEDEX ground tariff:
http://fedex.com/us/services/terms/g....html#firearms
Quote:
Firearms

FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.
FedEx Ground cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Ground is required to notify FedEx Ground that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.
Fedex Express (overnight) does not contain the "excluding handguns":
http://fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms
Quote:
Firearms

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

Last edited by NavyLT; January 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:05 AM   #14
charleym3

So if I read this right, I can take my big box into UPS or FEDEX and ship it to S&W second day with out telling them anything at all? And it's totally legal and I can file a claim if the box goes missing? Now I just need to decide what I'm willing to part with.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
NavyLT

Your claim will be denied because you did not ship IAW Fedex tariff requirements, but you cannot be prosecuted for committing a crime, because you did not do anything against the law.

Here's my shipping story:
Went to FEDEX/Kinko's with a T/C Contender being sent back to T/C for repairs. Told the guy at the counter what was in the box, as required by FEDEX tariff. He asked if he could open the box. I said sure. He opens the box, looks inside, doesn't touch anything, closed it up and asks me Ground or Air?

Without hesitation, I immediately said GROUND! knowing full well it was against FEDEX tariff. (Maybe it was the long barrel on the Contender - 14" - or he just didn't know the rules, but I didn't care, it saved me $45!) Six weeks later the frame shows up at my door by UPS from T/C and the next day the barrel shows up.

Also, FEDEX/Kinko's is authorized to ship firearms, because the guy at the shipping counter is a real FEDEX employee.