The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 29, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
LateNightFlight

Range Report: Rem 700 SPS Varmint (w/pics)

I've had my 700 SPS for about a year but haven't shot it lately because I had robbed the scope from it. I recently cruised the optics pages at Midway.com and noticed a sale on the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18X variables, 40mm objective, side focus, mil dot reticle. My first thought was, Nikon - no thanks. But as I went on my way it was hard to find anything comparably priced with a side focus. I've gotten addicted to the side focus feature since owning a Burris Black Diamond. It's hard to go back.

I reasoned that there are, after all, Nikon fans and some time has passed since I swore them off. Perhaps I could get over it and have another try? At 299.99, it seemed possible.

The 700 SPS Varmint .223 has a 1:12 twist, so I also browsed the ammo for some light weight stuff. This gun was happy with Black Hills 52 grain HP match, keeping my best 100 yd. groups to 5/8ths", but I wondered how it might like something even lighter. I was happy to find some Hornady 40 grain V-Max in stock. (Much of the .223 ammo is sold out, along with the ARs.) Plus, this will be a nice round for our coyotes - might as well see how it shoots.

My base for my SPS is a one piece picatinny rail, and I had a set of Burris low tactical rings for the project. Everything fit up well and I headed out and into the wind with the hopes of getting the scope on paper and saving the hunt for zero on a calmer day. But as luck would have it, when the sun headed down, so did the wind.

Below are my last two five shot groups of the day. Ignore the low hit on the left target; that was from finding paper earlier. I nearly shot 1 ragged hole on the left with the first 4 shots. I got a little too happy about what I was seeing and wrecked it with the 5th shot. This scope has 1/8th" clicks, so from the target on the left I added 2 clicks left and one click up. On the next group (on the right) I tore 1 elongated hole with 4 shots, and then wrecked it again! (Well, I guess you could say I'm consistent. )

All stock Rem 700 SPS Varmint - .223 - Nikon Buckmasters 6-18X mil dot w/side focus.

Good enough for coyotes, I'm sayin'.

Happy shooting,
LNF

Last edited by LateNightFlight; January 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Deer Buster

Nice shooting , looks like a keeper ! I'v got a BDL varmint in 25 06 that like's to make ragged hole's like that .
Old January 29, 2009, 10:44 PM   #3
DoctorXring

That's outstanding performance for a factory rifle
and factory ammunition.

Good performance by the shooter too !

Old January 29, 2009, 10:49 PM   #4
cornbush

looks like it works pretty good to me, nice shootin
Old January 29, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5
nimbleVagrant

I'd suggest a more solid stock but you might ruin a good thing.
Old January 29, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
hardhit

yeah sweet, go gettem and dont forget to take photos we want the full report.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:37 AM   #7
540mope

damn, nice shooting!!!. those coyotes won't have a chance!!!
Thanks for the range report. I just purchased a .308 SPS, it's in need of a good scope. I have had good luck with the 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmaster on a RRA Varmint AR.

question...what brand of rifle rest is that???

Quote:
I'd suggest a more solid stock but you might ruin a good thing.
i was thinking the same thing..
think i'll wait 'til after a trip or two to the range before buying the H-S stock
Old January 30, 2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Alleykat

You can sometimes find good deals on H-S Precision take-off stocks @ varminthunters.com.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:43 AM   #9
spruilldog

I just got the same model in 243 topped with a Nikon Monarch in 4-16X. Great set up. Killed a deer with it with rem. corelok 100grain the last week of the season but really wasn't too happy with the groups at about 1.75" at 100yds. Tried some hornady 100grain interbond and got the same thing. Then got some Federal premium vital shock loaded with 85 grain sierra gameking hollow points and got 0.6 inch group of three. Tried the hornady again and shot two groups of about 0.8 inches each with these. I think the barrel just needed a few rounds through it to settle down but I am very pleased. I'll try the core-loks again and see how they do. It's always nice when your gun likes cheap ammo (cheaper then those fedral premiums anyway ~$32.00/box). With the synthetic stock and heavy barrel it is front heavy to me and is definitely not meant to be a carry gun. I could use some more length to the stock and plan to add a recoil pad just to add some length and weight there. A bipod is also a nice addition and this model has 2 front swivel studs just for that. Overall very pleased.
Old January 30, 2009, 08:28 PM   #10
223 shooter

Quote:
Good enough for coyotes, I'm sayin'.
I'll say! Really impressive for a stock rifle with factory ammo!

I bought a SPS Varmint .223 and it too is a great shooter. Might have to load up some 40 VMAX sometime.
Old January 30, 2009, 08:42 PM   #11
joeg26er

scope comparison?

Hey - how does that Buckmasters scope compare to others you have used in terms of low light, clarity, brightness, sharpness etc?

thanks
Old January 30, 2009, 09:09 PM   #12
spruilldog

can't speak for the buckmaster

but the monarch is great. The deer I shot was at 180 yds and very foggy that day. All I could see was a grey streak moving across the field then come to a stop. Deer was clear as day through the scope though.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

That looks like typical Remington accuracy. These bull barrel Remington guns especially the ones like the Sendero that have an aluminum bedding block will flat stack bullets. I could shoot 4 straight shots out of mine that a dime would just about cover all the shots with the $20 a box Federal Premium loads at the time I owned it back in 97.

I got a 25-06 Rem 700BDL that I think is a pure shooter. The shots I have shot with it at 100yds seem to stack bullets on top of bullets.
Old January 31, 2009, 11:40 AM   #14
BIGR

Nice setup and shooting for sure. Any of you guys like Nikon scopes, Natchez has a heck of sale on the new Monarch's,Monarch Gold and Monarch X scopes.